World Eaters

The Toxic

On the front cover of 'Tales Of Heresy' there is a World Eater with the 'bunny ear' style helm (botem right corner).

I asume the main figure on the cover is Angron who is standing on what appears to be a DA helmet.

I can't really figure this one out! Angro looks pre-heresy, eagle and lightning 'belt bucle', no signs of chaos mutation or corruption. However the WE are in their heresy/post heresy color scheme and of course there is the astartes helmet that Angron is standing on which apeares to be in the colours of a post heresy DA.

I can only conclude that the artist has taken some liberties with the composition or else the picture is set after the destruction of Caliban but before Angron betrays the Emperor but after the WE have turned traitor :lol:

Then again only one of the WEs has this kind of helmet.

If i am completely wrong could some one please let me know :)

Fair enough, I guess they turned at different rates. There were probably some World Eaters who were already in thrall of Khorne because of their bloodlust etc, so when they turned traitor they could display their affiliation openly. Khârn, for example, was already a drooling maniac by the time of Isstvan III.

Khârn, for example, was already a drooling maniac by the time of Isstvan III.

:( <- That was my reaction. Khârn, in Galaxy in Flames, is shown as an honourable, proud and very sane guy - not the drooling maniac image you portray.

actually, the Khârn pre-heresy had "bunny ears"...they werent as pronounced as they are now, but more curved.

WLK

Is this true Wolf Lord? is there any explaination as to why he would have them?

and also Khârn was Angrons Equerry and was able to keep him in control for the most part...I highly doubt he was a "drooling maniac" right off the bat

actually, the Khârn pre-heresy had "bunny ears"...they werent as pronounced as they are now, but more curved.

WLK

Is this true Wolf Lord? is there any explaination as to why he would have them?

and also Khârn was Angrons Equerry and was able to keep him in control for the most part...I highly doubt he was a "drooling maniac" right off the bat

According to my eyes and page 250 of the Collected Visions book, its true. One could argue that the picture isnt dated, so it could be a post heresy imahe, but that seems kinda weak.

WLK

@WLK.According to my eyes and page 250 of the Collected Visions book, its true. One could argue that the picture isnt dated, so it could be a post heresy imahe, but that seems kinda weak.

WLK

Khârn on p.250 looks very heresy era to me. I'm fairly confident its not pot heresy. No Khornate or choas symbols, no blood for the blood god.

Well spotted WLK i forgot about that Khârn pic. Interesting colour scheme thought, or lack thereof.

On the front cover of 'Tales Of Heresy' there is a World Eater with the 'bunny ear' style helm (botem right corner).

I asume the main figure on the cover is Angron who is standing on what appears to be a DA helmet.

I can't really figure this one out! Angro looks pre-heresy, eagle and lightning 'belt bucle', no signs of chaos mutation or corruption. However the WE are in their heresy/post heresy color scheme and of course there is the astartes helmet that Angron is standing on which apeares to be in the colours of a post heresy DA.

I can only conclude that the artist has taken some liberties with the composition or else the picture is set after the destruction of Caliban but before Angron betrays the Emperor but after the WE have turned traitor <_<

Then again only one of the WEs has this kind of helmet.

If i am completely wrong could some one please let me know ;)

I had heard that the picture from Tales of Heresy is supposedly from outside the gates of the palace on Terra.

But, then other sources have said that Angron had already started warping into a daemon prince by this time and no longer looked 'human'.

I would ascribe to it being yet another cock up (apparently the covers for Horus Rising and False Gods were accidentally swapped, so who knows?) Perhaps at some point the Legion had changed their armour colour and Angron still looked human, perhaps this is post-heresy but pre-Terra.

Although there is the picture of Khârn in Collected Visions with the bunny ears, none of the other WE have them. There is even a picture of berserkers (look at my signature) with just normal helms. I would guess it was something taken on by Khârn, and then adopted by the rest of the Legion once they began to turn to Chaos.

Personally I :cussing hate bunny ears, the concept of having all that extra mass (unless they are made of plastic or styrofoam) attached to your head is just ludicrous (although I guess you could say that about a bunch of other stuff in 40k too :) )

the covers weren't accidently swapped.

i read (god only knows where, there's so much stuff around to read...) a comment by one of the BL team that they made the decision to swap the covers as they felt the cover (that is now on) of Hours Rising had a better "feel" for the first book in the series.

on the topic of the OP, i think i've only seen that one image of Khârn preheresy with the "ears" and no other astartes.

Personally I :cussing hate bunny ears, the concept of having all that extra mass (unless they are made of plastic or styrofoam) attached to your head is just ludicrous

No more ludicrous than the torso armor of an Astartes, which as usually depicted is much, much too wide at the shoulders to be worn by an approximately human-proportioned biped. An Astartes would have to have the distance between his armpits be nearly as long his torso is tall (a square rather than rectangular torso) to fit, and as far as I know no source has a character remarking on how absurd Astartes look. Such a gross deviation from human norm would definitely be remarked upon.

That might well have been an official comment, after so many people started pointing out that they were most likely the wrong way round.

I heard from someone who works at BL that there was a cock-up and someone misread the instructions when they went for printing.

Anyway, I wrote some stories about bunny ears a while ago, my thought on the subject! :HQ:

The enemy were out there somewhere, he knew it. "Gunnery sergeant, any sight of the enemy?" Said Major Tom. "Nope sorry sir they're clearly using those ruins ahead for cover, cant get a bead on them sir!"

"Ah! Wait a moment sir!" said the Gunnery Sergeant. "There, I can see what looks to be a giant pair of wings bobbing along behind that crater!"

"Excellent! Good work Gunnery Sergeant, aim for those wings! Range 100m. No wind. Fire!"

The guns fired, followed by an explosion.

"Great! Target destroyed! Thank goodness those marines wear those helmets!" said Major Tom, before brushing some dust from his lapel.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Drax the Despoiler was a vision of hell. Clad head to toe in deep red armour, brass ornamental skulls and the skinned and melted faces of foes who had dared to cross him. In his hand he carried a giant chain axe, the size of a small child, its metal surface covered in gore. His other hand carried an ornamental plasma pistol, forged when the Emperor himself bestrode the galaxy. For ten thousand years Drax had fought the lackies of the Emperor, killing them without mercy and taking their skulls as offerings for the Blood Throne. Entire worlds had fallen before him.

This was the site witnessed by Dave the guardsman as he entered the room. Doing what any rational minded person would do when confronted with such a horror, dave dropped his lasgun, turned on the spot and ran.

With a howl of anger, Drax gave chase and ran after dave across the room. However, as he ran out of the door, he forgot that his helmet had giant appendages which caught on the door frame wrenching his head backwards, breaking his neck and killing him instantly.

That might well have been an official comment, after so many people started pointing out that they were most likely the wrong way round.

I heard from someone who works at BL that there was a cock-up and someone misread the instructions when they went for printing.

Anyway, I wrote some stories about bunny ears a while ago, my thought on the subject! :P

The enemy were out there somewhere, he knew it. "Gunnery sergeant, any sight of the enemy?" Said Major Tom. "Nope sorry sir they're clearly using those ruins ahead for cover, cant get a bead on them sir!"

"Ah! Wait a moment sir!" said the Gunnery Sergeant. "There, I can see what looks to be a giant pair of wings bobbing along behind that crater!"

"Excellent! Good work Gunnery Sergeant, aim for those wings! Range 100m. No wind. Fire!"

The guns fired, followed by an explosion.

"Great! Target destroyed! Thank goodness those marines wear those helmets!" said Major Tom, before brushing some dust from his lapel.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Drax the Despoiler was a vision of hell. Clad head to toe in deep red armour, brass ornamental skulls and the skinned and melted faces of foes who had dared to cross him. In his hand he carried a giant chain axe, the size of a small child, its metal surface covered in gore. His other hand carried an ornamental plasma pistol, forged when the Emperor himself bestrode the galaxy. For ten thousand years Drax had fought the lackies of the Emperor, killing them without mercy and taking their skulls as offerings for the Blood Throne. Entire worlds had fallen before him.

This was the site witnessed by Dave the guardsman as he entered the room. Doing what any rational minded person would do when confronted with such a horror, dave dropped his lasgun, turned on the spot and ran.

With a howl of anger, Drax gave chase and ran after dave across the room. However, as he ran out of the door, he forgot that his helmet had giant appendages which caught on the door frame wrenching his head backwards, breaking his neck and killing him instantly.

:P <--my reaction!

Yeah, I never liked them either. Them and the 1k sons helmets.

I would have thought the 'bunny ears' helmet was only in place once the World Easters dedicated themselves to Khorne.

The bezerker helmets mimic the skull of Khorne himself (which is also the rune of khorne)

Pre Heresy World Eaters would not have the bunny ears.

In terms of the extra weight, I honestly think it would be minimal. Many Legions / Chapters use excessive helmet gear..Night Lord Bat Wings, 1k sons, Dark Angels etc etc...I personally think all their helmets look awesome. I especially love the night lord bat wings. Adds so much height to the models on the table top :P

Cheers

Dex

Just take a look to some ancient samurai helmets and see how big their horns sometimes are. Of course, they were probably more for parades than for combat, but surely an Astartes could fight with something like that and do not even realize.

Indeed, until that power fist swing or chainweapon that might otherwise have just missed his head, wrenches on them and pulls his head off along with the helmet or breaks his neck. Or he needs to crawl through a narrow space, or walk through a door, or hide, or... (shall I go on? :HQ: ). ;)

Dex_911, that's a very astute observation - of course the bunny ears should not have been present before the Legion's fall to Khorne. Perhaps the picture in Collected Visions of Khârn is one of the latter days of the Crusade, when he was already secretly following the blood god..

But I can't agree with you about bat wings, to me they look comical (and are in fact the worst of the helmet-based appendages, with the Thousand Sons giant eqyptian style accessories a very close second).

Or he needs to crawl through a narrow space, or walk through a door, or hide, or... (shall I go on? :) ). :thanks:

Given that what Khornate Astartes understand for tactics (basicly run directly against the enemy, no matter if it´s open ground and they have guns even inside their pants), I don´t think that matters much. Anyway, I find them stupid too.

Btw, on the HH, just before the Istvaan III incident SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT!!!

>IIRC, Horus is discussing the battle plan with his commanders, including Angron who, for some reason, disagrees with Horus and seems to keep quite a lot of his common sense intact. After the meeting, Horus has a private conversation of some kind in order to "enlight" his brother. The next time we know about the Primarch or his World Eaters, they´re all mad with insane bloodlust. It makes me think that Angron needed to be pushed onto full madness thanks to daemonic possession or some kind of ritual, which would mean he was much more interesting, as a character, than it has been commonly portrayed.<

What do you think about this, mates?

>IIRC, Horus is discussing the battle plan with his commanders, including Angron who, for some reason, disagrees with Horus and seems to keep quite a lot of his common sense intact. After the meeting, Horus has a private conversation of some kind in order to "enlight" his brother. The next time we know about the Primarch or his World Eaters, they´re all mad with insane bloodlust. It makes me think that Angron needed to be pushed onto full madness thanks to daemonic possession or some kind of ritual, which would mean he was much more interesting, as a character, than it has been commonly portrayed.<

What do you think about this, mates?

I've been preaching that one on B&C for a while now. I reckon if done right* then Angron could turn out be a lot less of a one dimensional and far more tragic character than many people currently see him as.

*Right meaning if ADB or Abnett right it. Wouldn't trust any of the rest of them with it. And if Thorpe got it I think I'd actually cry.

I reckon if done right* then Angron could turn out be a lot less of a one dimensional and far more tragic character than many people currently see him as.

Agreed. Anyway, Angron was perhaps not as loyal to the Emperor as other Primarchs were, but he had a strong bound with his men, his little brothers, a link he kept from his time between the brotherhood of gladiators. I imagine he was not happy at all with the idea of killing his own men and, even in his madness, I think he somehow felt compelled to give their men a proper dead, face to face, like the real warriors they were. It was that sense of honor, what remained of the noble Angron, what messed up the plans of a much more pragmatic Horus (that, and Tarvitz and the ohers absolut badasses!).

you know what, i think badaboom has a point. that seems more in line of what Angrons character might be. it was never eluded to what horus said to angron, even in kharns next appearance he was raving about the eight fold path, where as the first time loken met him he seemed like a noble character.

Archived