Painting Blood Ravens

I'm a relatively newb-ish painter - dry brushing has been my bread and butter up until this point. I have a good sized army, all painted in a custom color scheme, but I now want to convert them to Blood Ravens. I'm currently in the process of stripping everything.

My question is thus: Does anyone have a relatively easy guide to painting Blood Ravens? I was planning on a Mechrite Red coat, then a thin read gore coat on top, followed by a Baal Red wash. For the shoulder pads, I was going to do a foundation paint coat of Khemri brown, with a layer of bleached bone on top.

Is this any good? Or can anyone correct any error I may make before a brush is applied?

Noob here as well.

I've tried to emulate the darker-than-blood-angels red by using a Dark Flesh base coat, followed by a number of really thin Blood Reds. While this is more cumbersome and will take more time, I think you can taylor the red to your taste (what with me being afraid of them looking like BAs with cream shoulderpads). Also, i made them pretty dirty-looking, using Badab Black wash.

After applying those thin reds, you can further highlight with some pure (not thinned) blood red or even maybe even add some yellow (not much) to taste.

As for the shoulderpads, I've used Tallarn Flesh as basecoat and a mix (again, to taste) of Tallarn and Bleached Bone, followed by the cruddy Badab Black.

I can't give any input on your receipe since I don't have any Mechrite Red.

Also, I'll be posting them in the Hall of Honor in a few days, I'll link you to the thread if you wish.

Do a quick search in the WIP forum. Most people tend to share their paint recipes at some point. :(

If you google "blood ravens tutorial" you get quite a lot of them too (there are a bunch different ones in relic's 40k forum alone).

Durus: Thanks! I went and searched the interwebs for an easy guide, and found this:

1. basecoat mechrite red. Total model coverage.

2. wash Badab Black. Again total model coverage.

3. paint armor areas red gore. Multiple coats until color is consistent. (I've actually gone for scab red - it's much darker)

4. Paint shoulder pads bleached bone (coat until consistent color) (I've added an undercoat of khemri brown to this)

5. wash enture model with 50/50 water/Devlan Mud wash.

6. Paint details like eyes

I'll try this out - it doesn't look too difficult.

viktorslama: I'd love to see your Ravens! It'd be great to see someone else's models as a frame of reference and inspiration.

Hi - I'll soon be getting my blood ravens under way, and I'll be doing them like this:

White base coat

Mechrite Red al over the model

Red Gore all over the model

Devlan Mud Wash in the recesses

Red gore over any devlan mud spillages

Blood Red line highlight

I used this technique on this fellow:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/GLD1/front-1.jpg

It's very simple really - just keep the coats nice and thin - I find it easier to keep it simple and get some good results...

For the pads, I'd go with a Dhneb Stone base coat - will look really good...

I got the new WD this morning and in the "Ask 'Eavy Metal" section is the studio's recipe.

Goes like this:

Aquila and Shoulderpads based with Khemri brown.

Armour based with 2:1 mix of Blood Red/Dark Flesh.

Blacklining on the armor with 1:1 Dark Flesh/Chaos Black

Pads and Aquila lined with Scorched Brown. (looks strongly diluted in the pic)

Bleached Bone on Aquila and Pads.

Blood Red Highlights on armor.

Armour get another highlight with Blazing Orange, followed by Vomit Brown.

Pads and Aquila are highlighted (a line along the inner part of the pad) with Skull White.

The "secret ingredient" to get the right red is probably the 2:1 mix of Blood Red/Dark Flesh here. If you take a look at the pics in the dwarf there are several things you can forget about to speed painting up. Forget about lining the Aquila with Scorched Brown for example, just throw some diluted Devlan Mud on there and leave the second highlight away, stuff like that.

Archived