Green Stuff Technique

So I've used bits of Green Stuff mostly for filling gaps or adding texture to models but I'm currently on a project where I'll be sculpting whole parts from it as I convert a Demon Prince model to Magnus the Red.

I used water on my fingers to control the stickiness of the GS but I know some use oil. Is that t he consensus?

Also, I try to do a 50/50 mix of blue and yellow when preparing it, but I was wondering if other people have found better results from changing the proportions when sculpting custom parts?

I only use water when I sculpt because I don't want to go back each time and clean the model before I can apply the next layer. I just mention this because you said you are used to use your fingers for sculpting. Oil is a lot more effective in terms of preventing GS from sticking to the tools than water because it doesn't dry or evaporate. That means if you get oil on the model where you want to apply GS it won't stick until you've cleaned the model properly. So If you use it, use it sparingly, only on your tools (you might need your fingers to mix some new stuff or touch the mini) and make sure you clean the mini before you apply paint or the next layer of GS.

How much yellow/blue you use in the mix depends on what you want. More yellow gives the GS a longer working time, makes it dry softer and more flexible and is a lot stickier when you work with it. More blue makes the GS harden faster, makes it less sticky and I think it makes cutting sanding dried GS a lot easier as it dries harder. Getting clean hard edges into GS is not easy, so more hardener in the mix might help, as you can still push the half set GS around or if you plan on going back with a blade or a file.

Most of the time you'll probably want to go for a 50/50 ratio, but tacking on small details like rivets or something like that is easier when the GS is sticky.

I do a lot of sculpting and I strongly suggest you get a tub of Vaseline. When you first get the amount of Green Stuff you're going to be using run your finger over the Vaseline and then apply that tiny amount to the Green Stuff and that will keep it nicely lubricated and don't worry about cleaning the Green stuff or anything like that, I never have any problems at all.

Whilst you're working the next thing you will need is some good ol' spit. Green Stuff doesn't leave behind any residue on your tools or your fingers so what I constantly do as I'm working is just dab the tool on the tip of my tongue and that works a treat, dabbing your finger on your tongue and using that to smooth out the Green Stuff is very useful.

Of course if you're using Milliput or anything like that don't dab the tools on your tongue as generally putty of that nature does leave behind residue, especially when it's wet.

I would NOT dab anything on my tongue that has been in contact with greenstuff...

Its probably extremely carcinogenic like most epoxy putties, and even if there is no residue, it is unlikely to be truly clean...

Archived