What did the other primarchs think of Vulkan?

His benevolence towards the comon people probably sat well with the other more noble Primarchs. Unfortunately the Salamanders Index Astartes does not go much into detail about his character, so anything else would be speculation. He may have been a bit inflexible and stubbornly insisting on some of his own methods, which may have rubbed the more result oriented Primarchs the wrong way, but I cannot say whether they then just ignored that aspect of him or whether that was enough to antagonise them. Someone like Fulgrim (edit) might just have rolled his eyes on some of the Salamander's doctrines, but he was more interrested in his own Legion's performance anyway, and probably did not mind if other Primarchs were not keeping up. Someone like Angron might have been more frustrated if he was cooperating with the Salamanders and they were perhaps "lagging behind" in their progress, causing him to perhaps disapprove of Vulkan. (I am assuming that the Salamanders had a slower, but very steady, intractable, and ultimately inexorable approach to warfare.) But this is all conjecture.

Edit: Faux pas, I meant to refer to Fulgrim, not Lorgar.

I read somewhere they admired his space-basketball skills.

Horrendous, yet funny.

It's stated in Fulgrim, towards the end when Ferrus, Vulkan, and Corax are discussing the drop on Istvaan V, that Ferrus and Vulkan, and the Hands and Salamanders, were quite close due to a shared interest in technology and manufacture. There seemed to be a small touch of disdain on Ferrus' part towards Vulkan concerning Vulkan's dislike of anything that wasn't forged in fire with a hammer in hand, though.

I do think it is very reasonable. The traits of reliability, intractability, but also a slower pace, were all represented in the Salamander's rules in the past. They focus on carefully crafted weapons and wargear, and often maintain their own weapons. They had the same "enemy can decide that the game goes an additional turn" disadvantage the Imperial Fists had, representing their reluctance to give up even in the face of great adversity. (Though the Imperial Fists' "disadvantage" has now been turned into more of an advantage in the current Codex.) But they also use fewer fast and mobile units than other Chapters, and in earlier rule sets even had a lowered Initiative value. A lot of this is probably due to Vulkan's own doctrines and preferences.

I've always seen Vulkan as quite patient, driven and relentless in a slow yet assured way. But I think that there's fire (pun intended!) under that exterior and when he does finally lose his temper it's quite a sight. In one of the HH books Horus loses his temper briefly and then apologises to Loken et al and says something about how a home shapes a character and how he has the fury of Cthonia's volcanoes in his blood. I imagine Vulkan being somewhat like that but more restrained.

thats a good point! thats how i see him too..he doesnt really get mad hes far too patient and determined for that!

But harm a kitty in his presence. I dare you. :lol:

Thats what happened to the missing legions :P !

Yep. They were named the Kitten Stranglers and the Puppy Drowners.

Archived