Using BA Codex

nobeef154

I already have 5k points worth of BA's but now I'm looking to start a ravens guard army [full pre-heresy from ravens flight] The only thing is running an assault based army I'm leaning more towards using the BA codex (no DC or special characters) instead of the regular codex marines even though shrike is there. What is the general opinion on doing so is it frowned upon or no?

Meh, I wouldn't care as long at it was clear you where using the BA codex... but you couldn't really use Shrike as Shrike per the rules. But then that would be only in competion/tournement environments, if your friend agree there is no issue

No i have no intention of running Shrike, i would just do a JP Capitan via BA's codex. Would only use Shrike for Codex marines. And since im doing it Istavaan V Styled i can explain the red thirst as their fury for the traitors.

As long as everything is legal I'd have no problem with that. :blink:

There's also a Raven Guard character (Korvydae?) in the latest Forge World IA book that let's you take Assault Marines as Troops I think. You might want to check that one out also.

Woot! 600th Post! Rehab here I come!

As long as everything is legal I'd have no problem with that. :)

There's also a Raven Guard character (Korvydae?) in the latest Forge World IA book that let's you take Assault Marines as Troops I think. You might want to check that one out also.

You're kidding.

What's the legality of Forge World IA books? Because if I could get Assault Marines as troops with the vanilla codex...man. That'd solve all my problems of trying to figure out how to reconcile homebrew fluff and BA codex vampirism rules.

Man... what is with everybody calling BA space vampires... people need to learn what's what.

Legally, there's nothing really stopping you. I, however, personally frown upon using a codex for another. I think it's a rather cheap skate way to bandwagon jump. I've played Grey Knights and Space Wolves (before the new codex) and yes, it isn't as good as the shiny new stuff, but it's better than hopping on the wagon.

As for IA, that's gonna be player consent. If your opponent doesn't mind, that's fine. But keep in mind they are NOT GW rules and your opponent is in now way required to allow FW rules. If you play in a lax gaming group, then it's not gonna be a problem (although you might want to ask around to get a general consensus). When it comes to a tournament event, that depends on the tournament rules themselves. Some allow it, some don't. Also, I think it might be a problem if you show up with RG models and then say they're using the BA codex... Once again, that completely depends on who runs/officiates the tournament.

Man... what is with everybody calling BA space vampires... people need to learn what's what.

Legally, there's nothing really stopping you. I, however, personally frown upon using a codex for another. I think it's a rather cheap skate way to bandwagon jump. I've played Grey Knights and Space Wolves (before the new codex) and yes, it isn't as good as the shiny new stuff, but it's better than hopping on the wagon.

Some what true. I am in no way shape or form simply jumping bandwagon. As stated in a previous post I currently have 5k points of Blood Angels and I also have 14k Points of Crimson Fists as they were my first army and I made it a goal to attempt to recreate the whole chapter after Rynn's World (and according to book fluff and units in my collection im pretty damn close) Now I want to field the Raven Gaurd as I enjoy their fluff, however i think the BA's assault based codex works better fluff wise for them then Codex Marines only because it doesn't open itself up for a well placed true assault rapid army like the RG I fear. Now JP's are more prevelant in RG even thier Primarch used them. As far as explaining anything like special rules i think it would be fairly easy as i plan on modeling and doing the legion in thier Istavaan V conflict, so ill use some Drop Pods and just explain the red thirst as the particular fury felt for the traitors, before all hell broke loose that is :) only 80,000 assorted marines to collect lol

Also, I think it might be a problem if you show up with RG models and then say they're using the BA codex... Once again, that completely depends on who runs/officiates the tournament.

Having never played in a tournament, I'm curious why that would be the case; I can't imagine everyone who runs Vulkan, for example, shows up with green marines.

Also, I think it might be a problem if you show up with RG models and then say they're using the BA codex... Once again, that completely depends on who runs/officiates the tournament.

Having never played in a tournament, I'm curious why that would be the case; I can't imagine everyone who runs Vulkan, for example, shows up with green marines.

Some tournaments are very strict about showing up with something that looks like one codex but uses another.

Some tournaments are very strict about showing up with something that looks like one codex but uses another.

So I take it you couldn't game the system with a BA DIY successor chapter that liked black armor and raven symbols.

As long as everything is legal I'd have no problem with that. :cry:

You're kidding.

What's the legality of Forge World IA books? Because if I could get Assault Marines as troops with the vanilla codex...man. That'd solve all my problems of trying to figure out how to reconcile homebrew fluff and BA codex vampirism rules.

I am going to have to be honest with you: the peoples' attitudes concerning Forge World stuff varies hugely. Some see it as legal as GW stuff, while other see it as very unbalanced. If you play in a generally friendly setting and bring only "balanced" stuff like the aforementioned character (I'm not 100% sure of his rules though) I think it's going to be fine. Bringing Lucius Drop Pods, from which you can assault on the turn you DS, with Blood Talon Dreads on the other hand might cause some problems. :P

Edit: Oh, and I think Forge World stuff in general isn't usable in Tournaments. Only "core" 40K stuff.

One other thing to take into account is that an all assault force is NOT typical RG tactics. At least not an all JP force, and it is quite anti-fluff. The fluff in the codex, and more obviously the older codices, supports that a company acts generally as one unit, and they're composition is very much Gulliman Codex style. In fact, the Raven Guard like to use scouts much more than other chapters in general. The premise is to have the scouts infiltrate, set up camp, and then call in the quick strike with a high ratio of DP's and thunder hawks. This is easily accomplished with the standard codex. In fact, older lore has it that they faced some sort of cataclysmic event that lost a huge ratio of SM's, and whispers of cloning and accelerating the gene seed, which is why they have a higher number of scouts.

As far as tournaments banning players from using an established chapter with a different codex, this goes a way back, but was reinforced with the 4ed SM codex. It plainly stated, due to the traits system, that if you had an army represented in the book, you had to field them according to the established traits for said chapter. It is also confusing to other players as they see a RG army, think codex SM, and then you're like "yeah, they're blood angels in fact". It makes it much more straight forward of an issue and prevents problems. And plainly, since the RG appear in C:SM, you have an established list of what they typically use. As for a DIY chapter... it's DIY so you can pretty much use whatever you want...

This very much reminds me of the crap now with using the BA codex for Night Lords... Somewhere, people got the idea that NL's have an excessive number of JP's and raptors which is simply false... it's very anti Night Lords.

Archived