Shadows over Macardit

Mercinaria

Part 1

The strike cruiser Ex Silentio slid through realspace like a knife, its cathedralesque structure ornamented with baroque architecture in plasteel, and studded with enough weapons to level a continent. The majority of the ship was painted a ghostly metallic blue that reflected the pinpricks of starlight, although the effect was marred somewhat by an ugly gash amidships that had been hastily repaired. This was one of the ships of the Knights of Shadow, a chapter of Space Marines whose hatred of Daemonkind was second only to that of the Ordo Malleus, and it was under their orders that the cruiser was heading for its destination. From the bowels of the ship, an irate voice rang out.

“Anna, Bella, get down from there immediately!”

Inquisitor Felix was stood in the hanger bay, surrounded by the various vehicles that comprised the armour of the Knights, glaring up at the two Death-Cult assassins that were part of his entourage. The two females were crouched on the twin Lascannon barrels of a Predator Annihilator, peeking down the muzzles with an almost childlike curiosity. As the Inquisitor shouted at them, their heads turned to look at him, tilted slightly. Felix put his hand to his face and sighed.

“Girls, please, return to your quarters, Andrew will feed you shortly.”

Rather than obeying him, the assassins giggled and leapt from the Predator to a Land Raider, crawling over its Chassis to examine the top hatch. Felix cried out in alarm as they began to try and prise it open. He half-turned as he heard the hiss of hydraulics behind him. The company’s techmarine stood there, expression unreadable, but the folded arms indicated his displeasure. He strode forward, two of the huge claws on his servo-harness stretching up and snagging the females by their arms. He lifted them off the tank and dangled them in front of Felix.

“I believe these are yours Inquisitor…”

Felix nodded. “Yes, thank you techmarine… I’m sorry; I don’t think I caught your name.” He looked to the man, who shook his head.

“I didn’t give it Inquisitor, good day.”

He dropped the two women and walked off. Felix grabbed them by their scruffs before they scampered off and began to drag them back to the living quarters assigned to him and his contingent. He unceremoniously threw the two assassins in, locking the door behind him and leaning against it, sighing.

“Those two seem quite a handful…”

Felix turned to the source of the voice, a marine, tall even for his kind, clad in a simple white robe. He smiled as he recognised the marine as Captain Delmar. Felix gave him a cursory salute, which was returned.

“Indeed so Lord Delmar, in battle they are perfect, graceful, swift and deadly, but outside…they get bored and like to wander.”

Delmar chuckled at this. “We’ve had neophytes like that before. Anyway, I came to let you know that we’re about to enter the warp again, so you may wish to return to your quarters…and try to shield your mind. This is the last jump before we reach the Macardit system…”

Felix nodded. “I shall alert the Grey Knights and my retinue, I look forward to fighting the Daemon scum alongside you friend.”

They exchanged a warrior’s handshake, before parting to prepare themselves for the harrowing warp jump.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Please enjoy, and some C&C would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, here's some more of the story.

-----------------------------------

Part 2

Passing between the planet and it's sun, the huge bulk of the ship seemed to cause a small eclipse for a moment. Delmar stood on the bridge as the strike cruiser got itself into position over the world. He was now dressed in his power armour, with his crested helmet tucked under his arm.Felix stood beside him, wondering at the transformation that had undergone the captain. Usually, Delmar was, for a Space Marine, quite kindly. Often taking the time to help the neophytes under his command to grasp the finer points of bolter usage and maintenance, sitting in on shooting and drill practices and such. However. Dressed in his full shadowy-blue regalia, with the red tabard denoting his rank as a veteran, and the gold border on his pauldrons showing he was a captain. Off to one side was another figure with gold borders on his pauldrons, although it was clear by his psychic hood that he was no captain. Next to each of these imposing figures was a servo-skull carrying their personal weapon racks. Delmar turned to the librarian.

"Brother Adeudatus, you will be going in with the second wave. Take Sergeant Zanobi's squad, and the scouts. I shall be leading the first wave with the inquisitor and his men."

Adeudatus nodded to the Captain and turned to leave, beckoning to a red-tabarded marine who had been picking his nails with a wicked-looking knife. At the librarian's gesture, the marine's knife went into a sheath at his side, where a second knife glinted. His gauntlet went back on and he fell into step behind Adeudatus. Felix raised an eyebrow at Delmar.

"Is there something...wrong...with Zanobi?"

"Not at all, he just enjoy delivering the Emperor's wrath to where it is needed...repeatedly...until he is surrounded by bleeding corpses."

"Ah..."

An alarm sounded, distracting the men from their conversation. Delmar nodded to the inquisitor.

"It's time..."

Archived