haha sorry bout that the rest of it at the moment is @ 1750

Libby, JP

RAS, Hammer, 2 Melta

RAS, Fist, 2 Melta

Priests x 2, JP's, Claws

5 man Devastators, 4 Missiles

5 man Devastators, 4 Missiles

DC, JP's, Fist, Lemartes

After that i still have 360 points to play with.

Competitive you say? If taking a squad based on it's killiness and toughness will help you win. Then I say yes, they are as competitive as you are. If that DC squad can draw most of the enemies fire? That will leave your RAS free to engage. If they make it to enemy lines they'll manage to wreck a hole in that army line. This could indeed help you win. :)

I think they are Ok for their price I.E 5 Vanguard with JP's = 165. 5 Death company with JP's = 175.

Ok the vanguard come with a power weapon free and 10 points cheaper but the DC come with FC and FnP as standard saving you 75 points already for a Basic JP'ed Priest.

IMO, DC are a potential for competetive entry. Using them is a tricky manner since you have less control over them. You can choose who they shoot and assault, but not where they go. Also, they strike fear into the enemy pretty well and will draw a lot of fire due to their scare factor. Even with these guys naked and just boltguns and JP's, they can do great things. If you're looking for a unit to take the pressure off of the rest of your list, it's a pretty good option.

My view on DC is they are not competitive unless you:

a ) run your squads in Stormravens or landraiders

b ) play an army that showcases DC

They are expensive in terms of what they can do and don't have invulnerable saves. My favorite way to run DC is a 15 man squad with jump packs and including Lemartes with 5 power fists. Attach Dante and deepstrike then use Hit and Run. If you take a big squad you can soak wounds to keep the power fists functioning. Walking squads in landraiders are good too as you can get them where you need them to be.

0b <_<

I like DC they wreck stuff.

What I don't personally like is upgrades on Sanguinary Priests... I find they just die no matter how hard I protect them 1 wound IC's with no Invun, that give 6" bubbles of FnP / FC are target number 1

I like DC they wreck stuff.

What I don't personally like is upgrades on Sanguinary Priests... I find they just die no matter how hard I protect them 1 wound IC's with no Invun, that give 6" bubbles of FnP / FC are target number 1

Put them at the back and remember that w/o a jump pack they'll have to move around your guys too. IC's must move towards combat in as straight a line as possible. Always remember to engage them against someone who doesn't have a powerfist/weapon and to make sure that your squad engages that model in base to base. If the fist/powerweapon guy is in base to base with the squad only then he must throw his attacks against the squad.

mm... with jump packs, no. They are far from competative. Reason? Rage.

Jump packs basically give your opponent a reason to drive, say, a LR toward them... they HAVE to charge the closest thing/move toward it. Pretty much meaning they have to hit the large tank standing in their way. They punch it, and failing to do anything, are left to get charged by... say, termis. Or, they charge into the pack of 30 hormaguants instead of that carnifex that you really would rather charge at.

Simply put, you pretty much have to put them in a transport to make them useful, even non-competatively. This gives you a degree of control over their rage. Rage is the sole reason I think jump packs are a waste; they have to move 12" towards something you might not want them to, then charge it. All that killiness goes to waste if they charge things like Killa Kan squads, Raiders, etc.

I'd say cut the packs, pick up a valk and convert a raven, toss 7 guys w/ lem in the raven and have a ball. If you can do without lem, use a raider.

Just pointing out, they don't have to charge the closest thing. They have to Move, run and consolidate towards the closest visible enemy.. shooting and assaulting is still your choice.

Of course they could move toward the Landraider and be out of charge range of anythign else, but thats why you have infernus pistol on Chaplains and thunderhammer on DC

mm... with jump packs, no. They are far from competative. Reason? Rage.

Jump packs basically give your opponent a reason to drive, say, a LR toward them... they HAVE to charge the closest thing/move toward it. Pretty much meaning they have to hit the large tank standing in their way. They punch it, and failing to do anything, are left to get charged by... say, termis. Or, they charge into the pack of 30 hormaguants instead of that carnifex that you really would rather charge at.

Simply put, you pretty much have to put them in a transport to make them useful, even non-competatively. This gives you a degree of control over their rage. Rage is the sole reason I think jump packs are a waste; they have to move 12" towards something you might not want them to, then charge it. All that killiness goes to waste if they charge things like Killa Kan squads, Raiders, etc.

I'd say cut the packs, pick up a valk and convert a raven, toss 7 guys w/ lem in the raven and have a ball. If you can do without lem, use a raider.

Either way, the closest visible would mean "ok, I charge it or I die anyway". Point being, you have zero control really other than move them toward something.

DC are still competitive. Perhaps not with JPs but certainly in a assault vehicle. With a PF and TH they will wreck a ton of stuff with furious charge. Furthermore the sheer amount of attacks that they can dish out with re-rolls to hit and wound when accompanied by a chaplin will can cut down even most heavily armoured opponents.

In regards to rage; yes it can be tricky but often after movement the DC are within range of two units. With the Raider one can also direct them to where they need to go and then let them loose. They might be an unpredictable force but this also goes for your opponent who has to do something to counter them.

Archived