Grey primer

ac4155

Hi all,

What is the best grey primer, or even other colour than black and white, to use?

The only company that does primers of that i know of, other than Games Workshop, is army painter and have heard that they can go on a bit thick.

Thanks for the help,

AC

The only company that does primers of that i know of, other than Games Workshop, is army painter and have heard that they can go on a bit thick.

If you use short controlled bursts you should be fine with Army Painter. It goes on a bit thick initially, but as it dries it loses its volume and generally looks like any other primer in the end.

I use Tamiya grey for models that are going to end up being a light color, and GW chaos black in a can for those who aren't. I tried the Tamiya white, but never had much luck with it, always got a better finish out of the grey.

You are in England, so I'd check out Halford's. I always hear good things about their primers from UK residents and they have primers available in black, white, grey, and red from what I can tell.

I use Tamiya grey for models that are going to end up being a light color, and GW chaos black in a can for those who aren't. I tried the Tamiya white, but never had much luck with it, always got a better finish out of the grey.

What about metalic end colors, specifically something like Grey Knights or Iron Warriors.

My first thought is that the grey would be a better foundation but is that true?

Armory makes a grey primer that is fairly nice, though it seems a bit sensitive to humidity and temperature. Krylon makes a grey primer that works wonderfully for me for colors that I want to use grey for. I like it because it is just a little darker and seems to 'desaturate' colors, lending it to what I feel is sometimes a more realistic look. It looks really good on tanks and more gritty looking finishes. As for metallics, I'm not really fond of going straight over it, I really thing metallics look best over a dark base. Although if you wash over the primer with a diluted dark brown or black first, then do your metallics, it kind of almost gives you some built in highlights.

Archived