Paint stripping.

Hey folks.

I recently got some 2nd hand figures off ebay that need stripping. I searched B&C, found out about Mr Muscle kitchen cleaner (as a decent UK alternative to Simple Green) and I am pleased to say it works wonderfully on the models I've tested it on.. :P

What I am wondering is.. How often should I replace the Mr Muscle? Should I use the same batch again and again? Or am I better replacing it after every use? Or every few uses? What do you folks do?

And how will it perform against models that have had a Protective Varnish coat?

Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

CTK

I'm not in the UK and I don't use Mr Muscle, but if it is anything like the things I have used for stripping minis so far, I'd say you'll know when to change it, if the paint doesn't come off of your models. You might have a thick soup of dirty fluid, paint chips, sand and flakes of glue, but as long as it gets the paint off your models there's no need to replace it. I have cleaned 60+ models with the fluid that was in one jam jar. :P

+edit+

Oh, and if you have problems to get something clean after soaking it the first time, just throw it back in. You can usually work your way through the layers of paint and varnish. Just needs a bit more patience.

Though for metal models there nothing better than acetone. Gets everything off of your model, even the superglue.

Archived