Ultramarines vs Blood Angels

RIGHT-Titan

So my buddy is going to Warmaster's Challenge in Toronto in September and needs practice. So I brought over my Ultras to throw against his Angels. Some of his stuff was at a friend's house so he couldn't field his 1850 list, so instead we played a 1000 pt bash. I didn't have a list ready and we were short on time so I threw mine together pretty fast...

My army list:

HQ:

Librarian

TROOPS:

10x Tac, Lascannon, Meltagun, Rhino

10x Tac, Missile Launcher, Meltagun, Rhino

FAST ATTACK:

LandSpeeder, Multimelta, Heavy Flamer

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Vindicator, Siege Shield

Vindicator, Siege Shield, Hunter Killer Missile (just to chew up 10 points)

His list:

HQ:

Mephiston

TROOPS:

5x Assault Marines, Meltagun, Razorback w/ TLHB

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Vindicator, Siege Shield

ELITE:

Furioso Dreadnought, Drop Pod

---------------------------

Mission: Capture & Control

Deployment: Pitched Battle

Deployment:

For 1000 pts we played on a 4x4 instead of full table. We were playing on a Cities of Death table, so lots of stuff obscuring and to do with lines of sight. He got turn one, and so went first. He put his Vindicator on my left flank as far forward as it would go. One Razorback he left sitting on his objective in the middle of his deployment zone. The other two were on the right flank. Furioso was left in reserve in his drop pod to come down first turn.

I combat squaded my 10 man squads and set up my lascannon squad and missile launcher squad in my backfield in cover with as much line of sight as possible. I put my two vindicators behind one larger building at the centre of my deployment zone. My objective was sitting under the missile launcher squad. I put each rhino behind what little cover I had left on either flank. Librarian and company on the left, and the other on the right.

BA Turn 1:

He moved up with Mephiston casting Wings of Sanguinius, and flew 12 inches to just behind the other side of the large building my vindicators were behind. He then proceeded to move his razorbacks forwards towards my lines with the exception of the one sitting on the objective. In shooting he shot at my rhino on the right flank with his razorback, hoping for a glance, but failed to connect. His vindicator was more successful, cleanly destroying my Librarian's ride and forcing them to evacuate the wreck. His Furioso came down and immediately popped the big gun off one of my vindis. No assault this turn.

Ultras Turn 1:

I managed to move my Librarian and run them into cover into a building near the wreck of their ride and towards his line and Mephiston, where he could stay in Hood range for a little while anyways. I swung around with my vindicators, one one without a gun I used as mobile cover for my advancing Rhino. The Landspeeders jetted forward around the building on the right flank, one going behind the furioso and one moving into position near his razorback. On my shooting I missed with the remaining vindicator shot, but immobilized the furioso with a multimelta from my landspeeder. The speeder targetting the razorback stunned it. I shot at the Vindicator with my lascannon on my backline and it exploded in a fiery blast that felt very satisfying. With that threat removed the speeder that was to shoot at it, shot at Mephiston instead and put a wound on the enemy leader. The missile launcher failed to hit the furioso and thus concluded my turn.

BA Turn 2:

Not a lot happened. He managed to kill a landspeeder with Mephiston in close combat courtesy of his flight ability. but otherwise his turn was largely wasted. He missed all his shots with the immobile furioso. His razorback failed to kill a speeder. He moved another razorback forward right next to the one already present on my right flank. No assaults this turn other than Meph hitting my speeder.

Ultras Turn 2:

My Vindicator with a gun shot at the two razorbacks on my right flank, destroying one in a fiery blast and pinning the Assault Marines inside, although it didn't kill any of them despite doing 3 wounds. The Land Speeders that remained put another wound on Mephiston via their multi-meltas but the heavy flamers failed to do anything - again. My tac squad in the rhino nearest to the remaining razorback on my right flank missed with it's meltagun out of the firing point. My Lascannon blew off the magna-grapple from the furioso, and the missile launcher managed to stop the immobile drop pod from moving. yay.

My rhino squad moved up behind the vindicator, but with Mephiston there, I was not eager to expose it too much so it was slowing progress. Still lots of time.

BA Turn 3:

He zipped over with Mephiston and managed to immobilize my vindicator with the working gun, which was definitely a blow. But fortunately it was already positioned so that it's firing arc could hit most of his remaining forces if in range. His heavy bolters on his razorbacks inflicted a couple of marine casualties on my squads, and his razorback on the right flank fell BACK, as opposed to moving up.

Ultras Turn 3:

I tried to tank shock the one thing in range, which was the assault squad that had been pinned on turn 2. Predictably they dodged out of the way, but it mattered not as it was still providing mobile cover for the rhino, which also moved forward. I swung my 2 remaining land speeders to the left flank where my immobile vindicator and Mephiston were hanging out, and almost managed to kill him, doing 1 more wound and bringing him down to 1 remaining. The lascannon fired on the Furioso again, rendering it unable to shoot it's remaining weapons next turn, and the missile launcher failed to hit. I did manage to kill an assault marine courtesy of the various storm bolters on my Vindicator and Rhino on the right. The immobile Vindi fired at the razorback sitting on his objective, but it scattered back a bit and hit the assault squad in cover killing to marines, who subsequently passed their morale check and pinning. I fired the one HK missile in my list at the razorback as well, stunning it.

BA Turn 4:

This turned out to be the last turn we played as we ran out of time. He managed to stun my vindicator with the working gun, and moved his razorback that could do something this turn 12 or so inches forward and fired at my missile squad doing nothing. He finally started to move the now footslogging assault squad forward, but was still a good 24 inches from my objective.

----------------

Unfortunately due to time we had to call it. It was a draw and may well have finished a draw regardless. I did have a meltagun squad with my librarian in striking range of his objective, as well as a rhino with another 5 marines that could have gotten there within 2 turns, so I think I might have been able to contest his objective. He might have been able to get to mine but I doubt it. With 2 meltaspeeders in the backfield, my 5 man marine squad holding down the fort, and his own drop pod blocking the approach, I don't know if he could have gotten within range.

Ultimately it was a draw though. Going down to Victory points the Ultras would have squeaked out a small win.

Casualties were as follows:

Ultramarines:

2 Tactical Marines

1 Landspeeder Tornado

1 Rhino

Blood Angels:

4 Assault Marines

3/4 wounds on Mephiston - almost certainly dead if we played my turn 4.

1 Vindicator

1 Razorback

Good time was had by all... :)

Archived