Reclusiarch

Fearless.

That's all I need. Rerolls on the charge against ANYTHING is a bonus. a 3rd wound and an invuln save, compared to the jump pack libby? Reclushiarch every time.

The power they bring to a squad is dramatic. If it wasn't for Shield and Hood, I'd probably leave the Librarian at home and take the Reclusiarch instead in single HQ choice lists. If you have room for both though, consider splitting them up. Take the Libby in a transport for the mobile cover save, and let the Reclusiarch smash stuff up with a jump squad.

i actually dont like fearless, sure its great against shooting attacks but sucks in cc as marines wont be run down normally but with fearless they end up taking wounds...

I usually run a chappy as it as the inv over the libby, but due to at a recent tourney his squad got plasmad to death im thinking of using a libby instead with sheild and rage, its probably more important that the squad lives than the libby anyway...

Fearless only drawback is having to take armor saves due to No Retreat but if you have a Priest nearby it's not so bad. On the other hand a squad with ATSKNF may still have to take the saves as well and if they break they may run off the board or be sheperded off the table. Jump infantry also falls back 3d6" so there is greater odds of them fleeing off the board. Fearless units are immune to IG PSB and you never have to worry about them breaking at the worst moment. I think the advantages far outweigh having to take some armor saves, plus Blood Angels should be winning their assaults - right? :)

0b :HQ:

Want a deathstar ?

Put a libby with Shield and Might of Heros along with your Reclus.

4-6 s5 WS5 I6 power weapon attacks on the charge with rerolls and make peoples faces lose color.

I also really like the Reclusiarch+Libby combo but I usually take my Libby with Shield/Sword plus I generally give my priest's a PW as well. On the charge that's 5 WS5, S5, I6 PW attacks from the Reclusiarch 4 WS5, S5, I5 PW attacks from the priest and 4 WS5, S10, I5 attacks from the Libby plus whatever the ASM squad they are with contributes and they all have re-rolls to hit. It's turned out to be a rather effective killy blob for me. This squad is great out of a landraider or flying across the board with jump packs.

I was in the Libby camp, but after a dozen or so games it felt like he was under performing next to the Chaplain/Reculisarch I included.

In short, I'm loving how the Rec performs, with an assault honour guard or a Death Company they are awesome.

Its tempting to go full Deathstar and include a Unleash Libby in there somewhere to rip through everything

I've not played the 5th ed BA codex yet, but I've always been a HUGE fan of the Chaplain (I take them almost every game I play). I was crushed when I realized from Codex SM that they were nerfing his stats, but thankfully they brought back the uber-Chaplain for the BA.

That said I plan to keep him super cheap, probably naked with a jump pack for his buffs and his I5 power weapon attacks. Totally worth his small cost IMO.

If you are playing with the Death Company then it's worth considering taking Lemartes (assuming you are using jump packs of course). He is a real beast after he takes his first wound and cannot be targeted in close combat.

If I take a Recluisarch then I'll probably kit him with an infernus pistol since he has BS5. It's not something I'd always do because of the points but it's nice if you can afford it. I like to have him and a Priest attached to a squad of THSS terminators.

0b ^_^

Reclusiarchs = go with my DC

Libby = everything else.

Reclusiarchs are great, they get a good invun, a lot of attacks, and 3 wounds right out of the box. BUT they need to get the charge to let their real power show; and against a good opponent it is never a guarentee.

That being said, I normally take Librarians. The ability for your squad to reroll hits EVERY turn, run off a squad with fear, or provide a cover save to your vehicles is a great boon. Plus, hes cheap! 125 points with a jump pack is a great deal! And hood is awesome vs other angels players, wolves, and those lame eldar

Reclusiarchs will go in at 1750+, after I have paid for my Librarian and my Sanguinary Priests/Corbulo. They are superb value at I5 with 3W. They also Increase the wound output of Death Company by more than double.

The reason I ended up liking Reclusiarchs over Libbies was the higher stats.

I like having someone in my squads who is higher initiative so his power weapons/force weapon/crozius wounds can't be wound allocationed away with the rest of the squads (plus kills marines before they swing back).

The Libby has the advantage of rerolls every turn, and is cheaper, but the reclusiarch is higher BS, I, A, W and has a 4++. Personally I'd rather have the improved stats.

But, as I said before, If you are using a Reclusiarch with a jump pack, its probably worth it to upgrade to Astorath for the Strength 6, forced reroll of invuls, artificer armor and improved chance of the Red Thirst.

I've yet to try out Astorath, but I'll see if I can't squeeze him into a game sometime soon. I average about 1 squad a game falling to the Red Thirst and it would be nice to have a few more gain this advantage (especially my dev's). When you take Astorath how many priest's do you bring along James? The absense of FnP would hurt, but more accesable FC would be nice.

When I first started running Astorath, I ran 1 priest (with jump pack and power weapon) who stayed near Astorath at all times.

But, at 1850, that wasn't enough. Now I'm running 2 (the priest from above and Corbulo). This wasn't for Furious Charge, though it helps the games when I roll bad for Red Thirst, it was for FNP (and Corbulo's reroll).

I could drop corbulo for 2 naked priests, but even before I used Astorath I felt 2 priests was enough for the style I play and with Astorath I still want 2.

If I were to increase to a larger army, I would probably want to add another priest for every 2 or 3 large squads (basically everything but attack bikes)

Archived