Painting on Commission; Commissioning Painting

Two weeks ago I agreed to paint by buddy's Hive Tyrant. I haven't put a single brush into paint yet, but I find that I've had 3 other conversations with people looking to have their armies painted.

How much have you guys charged to paint figures? MCs? ICs? Vehicles?

How much have you paid to have your figures painted?

I'm having a lot of trouble finding out a fair price. Something that will adequately compensate me for my efforts while not discouraging other potential patrons. I have heard prices that range from 100% of sale value (Ex: $50 to paint a Land Raider, or $25 for a squad of IG), which seem high, to $1.25 per tac marine for 3 colors and a sand base.

Currently I have someone who is willing to pay me $2.50 per assault marine (3 colors, simple base, highlights, washes, and detail work like script), $7 for a Landspeeder or Rhino, and to negotiate for ICs and special items like venerable dreadnoughts.

Let me say though, that I am not looking to make this a business in the sense that I feel the need to undercut anyone or make serious money on this. I am just looking for a way to help my hobby pay for my hobby while treating myself fairly.

This is the pricing structure I worked out:

Options 1-3 include basic sand basing in the prices.

'below' gaming standard (ie, basic painting of one/two layers of paint, no shading or highlighting) £1 for standard infantry (inc assault/devastators)

£2 for characters or terminator sized minis

tabletop standard (one/two more layers of colour than below gaming standard plus basic highlighting and shading): £2 for standard infantry (inc assault/devastators)

£3 for characters or terminator sized minis

'above' tabletop standard standard (as above but with more highlights, more layers etc):

£4 for basic infantry (inc assault/devastators)

£6 for characters or terminator sized minis

'display' standard (me pulling out all the stops and really going to town):

£ agreed with client dependant on requirements

Not the best but as I'm only on my second commission it seems to be working ok. Both clients have opted for option 3 so far and the first was very happy with his finished mini's.

Like you I'm not trying to do this as a business but to allow me to get extra cash to fund my hobby. I've not worked out P&P charges or anything as so far my clents have been local.

hope this helps

James

Archived