Azrael's Command Squad

Lord Tharand

I'm currently modeling Azrael's command squad and these things popped into my mind. I like the idea that they're first company members and gave up the right to wear terminator armour to serve by their lord and master.

So my questions. Are the brothers of Azrael's command squad members of the Deathwing? And if so would they wear the Deathwing Icon in place of the chapter badge even though they're in power armour? And lastly should they wear the Crux Terminatus.

I would think that they will defiantly be part of the Deathwing. The Crux Terninautis can be represented with other iconography in their armor, I say this because I think their unique Unit symbol should be exactly that Unique.

I have a similar project in mind and plan to use these.

I use the Crux Terminatus on Vet Sgts and the like, considering them to have served in the Deathwing and then returned to the battle companys. It makes sense because they'd need more knowledge to better direct their squads in case of contact with the Fallen. Azrael's command squad would surely be as well.

One interesting thing to note Azrael's command squad doesn't have a company champion since he's not a Captain of any one company. Therefor it's likely they are not drawn from any company either and are part of his direct command. (In my fluff for the DA there is around 100 extra Marines beyond the 1000 for special duties. Things like Master, Chaplain, Librarian also)

Maybe next codex we'll get some kind of special command squad for him with a Chapter Champion like the Ultras or a Sang Guard type of unit. (Just hope they don't call it Lion Guard or Swordguard or Dark Guard)

(Just hope they don't call it Lion Guard or Swordguard or Dark Guard)

Yeah that wouldn't be very original. You could go two ways with this, it says in the Codex that Azrael personally picks the standard bearer for his Command squad so it is safe to assume he would pick all the others. Therefore, Azrael may pick the best of the Deathwing to accompany him, however another possibility is that he picks the best marines from the Battle Companies to form the squad. I don't think the Command squad would see any of Azrael's dealings will the Fallen so it is possible that they are from the Battle Companies but they could as easily be from the Deathwing.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think that my command squad will be deathwing members then and proudly display the deathwing symbol!

As for those lion shoulder pads, they're pretty damn sexy. Personally I was thinking about buying some of the forgeworld mk IV and V armor and kitbashing them with the veterans box. I think it would make a fairly decent looking squad.

I had an idea very similar to this, glad to see I aint the only one who thinks the dark angels could use a special command squad/hounor gaurd unit.

I was considering making a squad similar, however rather then making the intire squad deathwing I thought maybe it would be interesting to have the strongest members representing their company's, so there would be 1 marine in deathwing colors but in space marine armour, 1 from the ravenwing, 1 representing the battle and reserve companies and perhaps 1 who bears and protects a sacred standard similar to brother bethor, and perhaps some form of chapter champion.

Anyway its a great idea cant wait to see how your squad turns out. ;)

• 1 month later...

Hey all.

What do you mean by soaking in soapy water? Is that meant to improve models finish?

Anyway, I'm also currently working on this. Interested to know what weapon configuration people use both in style terms and gaming strength as mine are looking a little.... eclectic?

:lol:

What do you mean by soaking in soapy water? Is that meant to improve models finish?

It's resin so needs a damn good clean before assembly and painting as they sometimes have release powders and other dust residue present. Should really do this with plastic models too to get rid of grease etc.

Cheers

I

Thanks Isiah. I wondered if I was missing something.

So my Azrael Squad so far is

- Banner Bearer with CS & Plasma Pistol

- Apothecary with Nartheciaum : Can he also hold a plasma weapon???

- Champion with Storm shield, Power Sword and Plasma Pistol

- Veteran with Power Axe OR Melta Gun

- Veteran - Power Fist OR Melta Gun.

How does this look to people...

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to go with a group of company vets mostly because I play a lot of kill team games and I thought they would be a fun squad. Below is a quick mock up of one of the models I've put together. I haven't removed mold lines or anything yet or filled in a couple areas with greenstuff. Let me know what you guys think!

Also, are there any chainsword bits that don't have arms attached to them? I know there are a few in the Chaos Marine line but I can't think of any for space marines.

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww199/Olaf_Tharand/Dark%20Angels/DSC01819.jpg

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww199/Olaf_Tharand/Dark%20Angels/DSC01818.jpg

Mock up looks good ;), are they all going to have winged helmets? - if so that's really cool.

Cheers

I

Thanks Isiah. I didn't originally consider giving the entire squad winged helms but it might be a good way of tying them together since they don't have robes. I'll mess around and see what I can come up with!

• 2 months later...
i'm working on the same idea in the unforgiven rules forum but have decided to take it one step further and use a character from each successor chapter as well just to change it up a bit more. i have alsodecided to have all of them served in the deathwatch as i can then use them in the rpg as well

Lol, could you imagine if the commandsquad was not part of the inner circle?

Azrael: "Hrm, you have to leave, while I talk with the grown ups now."

Commandsquad: :blink: :o :huh:

Nice looking models by the way! Hope to see some pictures of them when they are finished.

One interesting thing to note Azrael's command squad doesn't have a company champion since he's not a Captain of any one company.

Sure but there can be a chapter champion. For ex : the one who'll face the SW chapter champion when they fight alongside with us. So don't forget to include the model (moreover sword + shield was the way the Lion used to fight and how he was equiped during the last figh against Russ)

As for modelling ideas : you can use the corer of the shoulder pads to put some add ons. Here for exemple, I've put a crux terminatus from the Termi sprue on the marine on the left. For the marine on the right, I've chose to give him the little shoulder shield you can find in the termi boxset and in the veterans sprue.

I also plan to have a entire command squad with knight helmets, this can be an easy way to represent their special status.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/Masteravoghai/Dark%20angels/IMGP2123.jpg

Archived