Flesh Tearers

Sandman2512

Hey all I have been a lurker for a while around here, as I enjoy reading about Warhammer 40K and space marines. I have been looking into specific chapters for the posibility that I may start an army. I have read some things on the Flesh Tearers, and I like them alot. But the information I was able to find on the Lexicanum was not very in depth. So I was just wondering if any of you had any more in depth information on the Flesh Tearers.

I also had a few general questions on the BA codex, as that is what I will be using. I was wondering what a general list looks like for say a 1000 point game, and the flexibility and general play style of a codex BA force. I realise that BA are meant to be a more CC orientated force, but was wondering about the viability of a more "shooty" BA force. The last question I had was a basic comparison of BA Tac marines compared to C:SP Tac marines, as far as points cost and viability.

Thanks for your help!

The Flesh Tearers are the least likely choice for a "shooty" army in the Imperium, really. The Chapter is the worst case scenario for the Black Rage, leaving what should be on average 1000 marines reduced to about 300 at any given time, despite an abnormally adaptable stock of candidates to chose from for gene-seed implantation. In short, they're crazy, blood thirsty nutbars that are just a hair's breath from damnation. On more than one occasion they've been recorded to turn on Imperial forces after getting swept up in the carnage of war.

So yeah, not the best choice for a shooty army. One of the best choices for a gut-slashing head removing army, though. Their original IA article described them as the "definition of a dedicated assault force," as just about every piece of equipment they have from standard weapons up to armored vehicles is dedicated to getting them stuck in melee.

As for extra info, the Lexicanum article is pretty spot on for what i know, despite its brevity. A jungle deathworld home planet with tribal inhabitants, very low numbers at any given time, run ins with the Adepta Soriritas, etc. There's a fairly good short story about them in the Legends of the Space Marines novel, too.

ba codex is quite flexible, on top of te cc stuff that is mostlyfocused on we do have sternguard and devestators and shooty dreads, fast tanks meaning they can move 6 inches and still fire everything, and hounour guard which can take enough special weapons to make terminators shuder. and the stormraven... of course we pay for our advantages...

ba tac vs marine tact... pretty much the samecept our sarges can take infernus or handflamers (i think, ive only used assaultmarines for troops...) but our tacticals have thr red thirst, meaning if the correct die score is rolled they gain furious charge and fearless for the game. they also get acces to fast rhinos and razorbacks, or can even take landraiders...

Thanks for the information. I do know from what I have read that, like you have said Firepower, the Flesh Tearers are an all out assault force, but on the Lexicanum it does say that all their marines are proficient in tactical, devastator, and assault roles. So I would assume from that that they would not ALL be assault orientated. Since I am interested in Flesh Tearers I was also wondering about the viability of a list like Firepower had said, the "definition of a dedicated assault force”.

I would also like to know more about how they act and how they are viewed by others in fluff outside of just being crazy berserkers. Like is their Chapter Master cold and calculating outside of battle? Does he keep his calm in battle? Are their other leaders the same? Do they view themselves as having any form of hope for the future of their chapter?

Hmmm good questions on the Flesh Tearer nature.. I'll try and dig into my own knowledge and ideas and answer them:

Like is their Chapter Master cold and calculating outside of battle?

Tough one.. Seth is described as having heard the horrible truth that their companies are depleting faster than they can replenish from the moment he became Chapter Master. He decided to take that knowledge and lead his Chapter into glorious death instead of insane Rage.

I'd say Seth is a smart guy, calm and calculating when he needs to be, but a furious warrior in hand to hand combat. I see him as someone who knows they face damnation, yet still leads his people directly towards it! Heck.. I hate using this comparison.. but think Leonidas in the movie 300 and you got Seth.

Does he keep his calm in battle?

I believe he does, although his weapon screams bloodshed the way he uses it shows a finesse within his own fighting style. He sees an opening and uses it. I consider him calm, but ruthless. He does not believe in honor but only in glorious battle and heroic death. To have that kind of mindset one has to have a calm head within the storm that is his body.

Are their other leaders the same?

Not sure.. but I do think so. Flesh Tearers have for hundreds of years been hit hardest by the Black Rage and have always tried to fight it. To be able to rise above the other, and stay under control of their increased flaw, one has to be calm in his heart and his mind and have total control over one's own emotions. That includes control over when to let it go and let the Thirst guide him. I believe many of the FT leaders would be just that.

Do they view themselves as having any form of hope for the future of their chapter?

This is unclear.. the decrease of the chapter was something Seth only learned when he became Chapter Master. It is clear he created a mission for his chapter depending on that, but it is not clear if he shared this information to his chapter. I believe he did, to motivate them into his glorious crusade, but one cannot know.

If Seth did share the information, then the chapter sees no future except death.

If he did not share the information, many brothers will still see hope within small things.. like the control some have over the Rage and Thirst and similar small beams of hope. Still, it is a foolish hope.. so my best bet is that Seth shared the information and that all brothers see their future as one where they fell in glorious battle fighting the enemies of the Imperium.

Hope this helped a bit! It's a lot of speculation and connecting dots.. but do with it what you will.

Archived