Has anybody else noticed that..

Mudpuppet

Whoa, i just reread the entire 3rd ed and 5th ed codeces to prove you guys wrong and your totally right, it always says Sanguinius. I swear i genuinely thought it said Sanguinus, my brain has been rubbing out the second i for years... im actually quite freaked out now.

Mudpuppet

my brain has been rubbing out the second i for years

Meh, the yanks have been doing that with Aluminium for decades :rolleyes:

I think i have just officially done a yank... as dodgy as that sounds.

Mudpuppet

Actually, both "aluminium" and "aluminum" are correct. The British spelling lacks the second I.

Actually, both "aluminium" and "aluminum" are correct. The British spelling lacks the second I.

I think you mean the American spelling lacks the second I, which is probably a more appropriate way of phrasing it as the yank version is the one that is out of kilter with the rest of the world.

I'm quite proud of how quickly we managed to get this thread off topic though ;)

Funny. When I was first introduced to 40k by a British friend of mine I was given a run down of all the Primarchs and why they were awesome. He kept calling him "Sanguinus," so I did as well until I had noticed the second "i" while reading Horus Rising for the first time (first 40k book).

I brought that up to him and he says "Yeah, we don't talk about that "i"..."

I think you mean the American spelling lacks the second I, which is probably a more appropriate way of phrasing it as the yank version is the one that is out of kilter with the rest of the world.

I'm quite proud of how quickly we managed to get this thread off topic though :D

Ah yeah, possible. Anyway I've always spelled my aluminium with that second I, and my sulphur as "sulphur" and not "sulfur" hehe

But to be honest its kind of hard to "keep on topic" given that the original topic's problem has been resolved. Perhaps just biding time before a mod closes this down :D

In an attempt to push the thread back on course:

Where did you hear of "Sanguinus" anyway? To be honest its the first time I've seen him without the second I, unless it just so happens thats how everyone pronounces his name verbally.

Well the only reason i saw the second i at all was cos i was watching a youtube vid where someone called him sanguinius and its like my anti-I glasses came off i started seeing it everywhere.

Maybe when i was younger my mind decided sanguinus sounded better than sanguinius and thus the I denial started.

Mudpuppet

Sort of off-topic, but does anyone else think Sanguinius is a really stupid name? In fact, most of the Primarch have some really dumb and/or terrible-sounding names

Lion El'Johnson (I know it's Lionel Johnson, but they could have tried to camouflage it better... Lion El'Onson?)

Roboute Guilliman (how are you supposed to pronounce that?)

Mortarion

Alpharius

Corax

Ferrus Manus (I am Iron Hands, Primarch of... the... Iron Hands!)

Vulkan

More off-topic: is it just me or would the White Scars have been much cooler and would have made a hell of a lot more sense as a Chaos Legion?

They did actually, originally (RT Rulebook) he was called Lyyn Elgonsen

Really? That's interesting, I never knew.

Why did they change it?

The name is actually taken from a poet named Lionel Johnson who wrote a poem entitled Dark Angel .

0b :(

They did actually, originally (RT Rulebook) he was called Lyyn Elgonsen

Really? That's interesting, I never knew.

Why did they change it?

The name is actually taken from a poet named Lionel Johnson who wrote a poem entitled Dark Angel .

0b :(

Ya I know. I just think they could have changed it around some more.

Personally, I think they could have pulled off Alpharius if they hadn't gone and named his twin brother Omegon. Guess GW thinks that the cognitive functions of the average human have become so base that to recognize a reference, we need to be bashed in the face with a linguistic two-by-four.

The change of Lionel Johnson to Lion El'Johnson comes from richard the Lion heart. The reason behind that is the dark angels are roughly based on knights templar and mason legends. I can't remember the site but someone has mapped the basis of the legions and come up with the reasons behind the names of the primarchs

It still pisses me off seing people writing "Ragner" or "Sylvanus" (not a Warhammer 40000 name anyway, but still...) .

Ran

And lets not forget, "Emporor" or "Emperer" :P

OH GOD EMP-!!!

Yeah, that pisses me off too!

Ran

Rouge Traders...

Heresy! The Imperium is kept afloat by those bravest souls, plying their wares to the darkest regions of the Galaxy... Without the God-Emperor's most holy Avon Ladies, how would the Rouge trade of mankind survive?

He who controls the rouge, controls the universe!

It’s possible as the hobby gained popularity in America they decided to bring most things down to the lowest common denominator; I mean the Americans did after all practically rewrite the English language to make it more convenient to spell.

Archived