need some guidance for my pre heresy army

hron13

Im looking to start a pre heresy army, and am just wondering what the general consensus is about what codex to use for them (alpha legion). i was thinking space wolves because wolf scouts have that ability "behind enemy lines" and the general lack of a leadership structure in the army seems to fit as well.

so whats everyone else's ideas?

btw, not just trying to jump on the wolves band wagon, im perfectly happy using codex space marines, just want to know if im going in the right direction

There are a couple of other options you might like to consider, although at least one of them is a definite 'no' if you play in a lot of tournaments!

First is the 'Tempus Fugitives' ruleset. Made for a series of campaign events that have been run in Warhammer World, not only have they been made by GW staffers (and therefore have legal access to GW's material) but the rules were designed over months with a great deal of feed-back from the fans that were taking part. Basically, it's a collation of background material from the book Legion and IA articles, with other bits and pieces - so you have an extra scouting ability (to represent the usefulness of their information gathering), cell operatives (human forces) and even Alpharius/Omegan! Basically, I can't recommend this highly enough, but it depends on how open minded your gaming group is.

You can find the ruleset on this website

For the second option, a few years ago I would have said the lists from the Eye of Terror book, but now that GW in their wisdom have pulled the most characterful (and IMO, fun) codex they had available, that's no longer really an option (although again if you are in a gaming group that doesn't mind, the lists inside aren't really unbalanced if you can find a copy).

The other option is to use the 'traitor' lists from inside the first Seige of Vraks IA book, which is very useful in that again it lets you combine marine units with human allies.

If you just want to use Marines, and no human cells (which would still have been keeping to the background, I think there would have been times when the AL used just Astartes for their operations), then I guess C:SW could be adapted. Obviously you would need to make intelligent use of what you can and cannot use (i.e. thunder cavalry ^^), but I can't see anyone resenting you for it - they will probably be glad that they're playing against something other than an army 'counts as' blood angels! :)

thanks a lot guys, ive pretty much decided that i'll probably run codex marines with cato and probably with either khan or shryke i think that would be fitting as well, but i'm going to take a look at the tempus fugitive stuff.

Archived