How do you guys paint your yelow hemlets?

Chairman_woo

Simple question really (search dident seem to work for me so sorry if this is covering old ground), at some point soon I'm going to have to start painting the helmets on my RAS yellow and as I'm shure many of you know yellow can be a bitch to get looking right. So I'm looking for any recipies & techneques you guys have inorder to (hopefully) get them to come out looking right. Also any pics you might have would be very helpfull too :blink:

Any advice is welcome anyway...

Im sure theres a decent recipie i read in the blood angels gallery bitty tht was something like:

Sunburst yellow highlighted with iyanden yellow then washed with gryphone sepia.

It was something liek that, and they looked great, try looking through the blood angels showcase bit in the stickys, im sure it was in there.

Mudpuppet

Yeah I do an even coat of Iyanden Yellow over whatever color, then wash it with Sepia, then add some more Iyanden Yellow.

I think it looks good:

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/LanthierFamily/Warhammer%2040k/Blood%20Angels/DSC_0291_044.jpg

the trick to getting yellow, white or any other "light" color to look good is applying it in the correct manner. Streaks show up very quickly in light colors if care is not taken. To solve this problem I have been painting the heads separately from the bodies and I prime them white, airbrush them yellow, wash them in a sepia wash and highlight them in a 50/50 mix of my base yellow and white. Now I realize that not everybody has an airbrush nor do they know how to use them properly on a mini, but if you want flawless basecoats and to a degree flawless highlights and blends an airbrush is the way to go.

Now it is possible to get some really nice and smooth finishes using a brush only, it takes patience practice and the right tools. Since I can't give you patience or see how you practice I will tell you a out the tools.

First your brush, keep it clean and conditioned, there is no need to invest 50$ for a series 7 sable.....I don't think I have ever had to spend more than 10$ for a brush, what I do buy though and go through regularly is brush soap, any art supply store will have it. I clean my brushes about once a week, they need it, it keeps the bristles smooth and full and cleans out all the junk your rinses missed.

Next is a thinning medium....water really likes water, in fact it likes it so much that it just loves to move around on a smooth surface holding hands w/ all of the other water molecules. You need to be able to break that tension up to get your paint to lay flat. if your paint lays flat, that means no or minimal streaks. I use a product to thin my paint hat is not even designed for paint, it is called Future Floor Polish. It is a acrylic additive that you add to water to get it to lay evenly on your kitchen floor tile. it works GREAT w/ acrylic based paints.

I get a little dropper bottle, fill it 1/2 way with water and the rest w/ future, then when ever I put paint on my wet pallet I add an approximate equal

amount of my future/ water mixture, for me it works great and helps me get smooth even finishes on my paint.

Good luck and let me know if you have any more question

Ashton

here are a few examples;

My Black Templar Terminator, he is a WIP, but almost done.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_d44nvy1xWlA/TIJ-2JlzdnI/AAAAAAAACFs/pYCaUQeXeDg/s912/Stuff%20for%20Sale%20030.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_d44nvy1xWlA/TIJ-2e407SI/AAAAAAAACFw/5jPgqhladoM/s912/Stuff%20for%20Sale%20032.jpg

Here are some Blood Angels I am working on for my DIY chapter, Sanguine Templars, they are a WIP as well, the yellows here were airbrushed and weather in the method I described above.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_d44nvy1xWlA/TIJ-29ZFiEI/AAAAAAAACF0/9Go-AJdQhrY/s912/Stuff%20for%20Sale%20033.jpg

A close up of the yellow

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_d44nvy1xWlA/TIJ-38XoeKI/AAAAAAAACF8/CD_SLu3-g6c/s912/Stuff%20for%20Sale%20035.jpg

Basecoat of Iyadan Darksun

2 washes of Gryphonne sepia

Layer of 2:1 mix of ID and SW

Highlight 1:1 mix of ID and SW

Glaze of ID (only on the Plate area, don't get it in the recesses)

Finally 1 or 2 washes of badab black in the grill/mouth bit of the helmet

Wow, there are so many ways to paint yellow, I normally use one of two ways to paint yellow depending on the effect I want.

1 - basecoat Iyanden Darksun, use Ogryn flesh as a wash in the recesses, then tidy up with ID. Finally build up Golden yellow in thin coats and before then adding skull white to the mix for highlights. Finish with Gryphonne Sepia wash

2 - basecoat Vomit Brown - use Ogryn flesh as a wash, then use Devlan Mud as a deeper wash (all in the recesses) and then follow the same steps as above.

There's also an interesting way to paint yellow in the White Dwarf article for the Direct Only Wolfguard model, worth a look as it's pretty simply but gives a good finish.

I use a coat of Iyanden Darksun with two coats of sepia. I then reapply the Iyanden darksun basecoat. Then three or four thinned coats of sunburst yellow. Edge highlight with skull white and yellow mixture. Gives a nice vibrant yellow.

Archived