What is Better - CC Termies of VV?

R0N1N

I've been playing around with some ideas for a hammer unit for my army, and i'm spending some 600points on it. I'm down to these two options, and was wondering what you guys think of them and also why.

- Unit 1: CC termies with Priest and Transport

3 with dual LC's

2 with TH SS

Srg with TH SS

1 SG priest in Termie Armour

LRC with MM

600pts on the dot

This unit drive over to the enemy, and usually get to the battle. They can hold their own in a fight, and the FNP have been more than helpful, the TH SS is also more than good enough for those pesky power or force weapons. The only drawback I see is that if the LRC is destroyed still on my side of the table they will have a long walk, and not make it across the table unscathed at all. On the other hand, if I get turn 1 and move flat our the termies could easily charge at he enemy turn 2 should the LRC still be mobile, and that is what I want.

- Unit 2: VV squad & Corbs

3 VV with a LC and stormshield

3 VV with a PWR weapon and pistol

3 standard VV

srg with TH & infernus pistol

Corbulo or normal SG priest with JP

600pts in the dot with Corbs (570 with a normal JP priest)

This squad have a few options avaiable. They can combat squad and drop on 2 targets. The squad can wiht Heroic Intervention and the DoA rule get into combat pretty much always on turn 2. With Corbulo as te priest he will ride in a razorback perhaps. I can use his reroll if nessasary to make sure I get the squad dropping close enough to enemy turn two for the assault. Without Corbs I'll have a priest, but I'm pretty sure he'll be useless dropping alone close the the combat action, as that will be 75pts dead next turn. I'd want to assault the turn I drop the VV, so the priest might just stay at home. Wit a normal priest I can load 6+ melta bombs into the squad for more AV 13&14 armour busting than I'd ever need.

Both options should theoretically charge and kill stuff turn 2, but which would outlast the other? and which would be dealing the most damage? I've tried both options out on the table, and they both seem ok. I had a 5man VV stood against an Eldar Avatar for 4 full turns of combat and I only lost 1 VV, so they can be a real tarpit unit, those stormshield on them make them clost to immortal :blink: but they will die when huge squads of orcs or other hoards are in CC with them. The Termies on the other hand have 2+ armour saves and the FNP on the priest make them just as indestructable, and they stand just as well against monstrous creatures as they do against hoards, and the TH do tend to take out anything :D

Any other ideas that you have for a hard hittng BA hammer unit?

Depends on your Play Style, but it looks like your Vanguard is working well. The basic Advatage VV have is the ability Assalt on the Turn they Arive.

This is my Current “Hammer Unit”

Captain @ 160 pts (Power Armor; Melta Bombs; Jump Pack; Paired Lightning Claw)

Honor Guard @ 320 pts (Chapter Banner, Jump Packs)

-1x Blood Champion

-1x Sanguinary Novitiate

-3x Honor Guard (Melta Bombs; Paired Lightning Claw x3)

Total Roster Cost: 480

A possible Variations that makes it a Hammer Unit.

Captain @ 180 pts (Power Armor; Melta Bombs; Jump Pack; Storm Shield x1; Thunder Hammer x1)

Honor Guard @ 380 pts (Chapter Banner; Equip with Jump Packs)

-1x Blood Champion

-1x Sanguinary Novitiate

-3x Honor Guard (Melta Bombs; Storm Shield x3; Thunder Hammer x3)

Total Roster Cost: 560

Archived