Librarians and their uses

Redfinger

I have been playing Black Templar's so far in my 40k life, and I have never played a Librarian, pretty much only read what is in the books about them...anyway, I am putting together a jumper list w/ Dante at the head and I see the uses of a librarian, but I also see other uses that I could have by not running one. Anyway what are your thoughts and opinions on running them in an army, they worth it, nice support, a liability? I would love to hear your thoughts. So i can flesh out this list.

Basically so far I am thinking

Danta

Honor Guard

Sang Guard

2 Sang Priests

2 RAS

1 VV(10 man, 5 SS/PF and 5 melta, I will combat squad them when they land if needed)

Anyway I would love to hear how you think a librarian would fit in, and if they are worth it in general.

Ashton

Many players use Librarians because of the psychic hood, which allows the Librarian to counter foul witchery - or psychic powers casted by your opponent. They offer protection against Lash-spam lists, those imperial psykers and Eldar farseers, and that´s why they are so popular, maybe even needed.

Blood Angel Libbies have the advantage of cc orientated powers which support every force really well, be it Shield of Sanguinius, Fear of Darkness or Unleash Rage, only to name a few.

To your list, the Librarian would add protection in your enemy´s shooting phase, mainly through Shield of Sanguinius, although I don´t like that power that much really. If you are not playing in tournaments or psyker-heavy environment, I´d say you don´t need a Librarian to get this list working.

A few notes:

As you already have a Sanguinary Guard, I´d exchange the Honour Guard for something else and let Dante lead the SG, or vice versa. Another RAS wouldn´t hurt, as your SG will be busy beatin´ things up rather than holding objectives.

Snorri

A few notes:

As you already have a Sanguinary Guard, I´d exchange the Honour Guard for something else and let Dante lead the SG, or vice versa. Another RAS wouldn´t hurt, as your SG will be busy beatin´ things up rather than holding objectives.

Snorri

I don't know if I am interpreting the rules correctly, but what I am thinking is this, the Honor Guard is led by Dante, then they (dante + HG) join the Sang Gaurd. That is a 11 man unit that has at least 2 attacks each, power weapons, mm and the ability to precision strike and fall back...now If I am reading the rules wrong then I cant do that combo, otherwise it seems pretty hard hitting...thoughts?

In smallish games (1500 and below) I use a librarian because he is the cheapest HQ. For the same cost as a Captain I get a force weapon and psychic powers. The only problem I've had with the librarian is finding him a transport. Most squads I use are full capacity so I have to go out of my way to give him a squad and transport. The easiest solution so far has been to slog the tacticals with armor supporting the infantry and vice versa. The powers I choose typically after the list has been written up based on my foe since it's just a friendly match. Otherwise it's unleash rage and either FoD or sanguine sword.

I'd reccomend giving a libby a jump pack. His flexibility increases with his ability to slog it out on foot or jump with RAS.

I hate having the librarian when I fight SW. There's simply no point in using powers against those dogs aside from nullifying their priest.

Archived