painting doom eagles?

My IW I find to be reasonably easy to get the base armor.

Black Basecoat

Boltgun metal

Badab black wash(watered 50%) all armor 1-2 times as per taste

Drybrush "highlights" on boltgun metal(this really acts as a preshade since there's another wash and highlight)

Paint Bronzes and golds

Devlan mud wash(50% watered) all armor and bronzes/golds 1-2 times as per taste

Highlight now dirty boltgun metal to taste w/boltgun, chainmail, mithril

Highlight bronze/gold to taste with brighter golds and a thin line of mithril

Detail(hazard stripes, unit markings, kill tallys etc.)

For a cleaner look, omit devlan mud on gunmetal.

Sounds like a good formula for IW indeed. However, there's a bit of artwork for the Doom Eagles which gives me the impression they're a much cleaner, polished lot (from the cover of Legends of the Space Marines). There's a metallic spray for sale from the distributor that Blood Angels players have been singing praises to lately (obviously because they also sell red spray) which would save you a lot of time/agony, should you be more of a gamer than a painter. If i can find the seller I'll add it to this post later in an addendum.

Anyway, the bit of art is found here- http://www.blacklibrary.com/Warhammer-4000...ce-Marines.html .

As you can see by zooming in, the armor has ornate, sort of celtic-style swirls and knots of a darker metal interwoven all over the suit. More likely than not, this is something that would be REAL painful to do. Still, it might be good for honor guard or some special units, so at a glance I would think it was a boltgun metal base (washed with black for shading) and mithril details.

The question was how do you paint "...iron warriors..." and so on. :lol:

I merely gave my recipe for my IW, and how I'd adapt it to a less worn look(no devlan mud, lighter single pass washes).

My suggestion thus would be to adapt it on the easy:

Boltgun

Badab black(thinned 50%)

Highlight with boltgun to chainmail/mithril

Golds in brown

Paint browns gold

Wash only golds with devlan mud

Highlight with golds to mithril

Detail(paint eye lenses, squad markings, whatever.

Bam, done. No more than 3-4 coats on anything and gives you a nice TT ready look. ;)

Er...do silver skulls use gold detailing?

I'd suggest Badab followed by Badab + Asurmen to give a really polished, clean look - after all metal armour will reflect the sky! AN to get an really impeccable finish, I'd say use True Metallics (nmm with metallics)style painting - that way you get lots of reflecting surfaces and good highlight..

Seems about right. Silver skulls = kinda shiny, Doom Eagles = Soooo shiny!

Translation, boltgun metal for silver (oddly enough) and mithril for eagles.

Might not hurt to use a chainmail undercoat with mithril highlights for the Eagles though, considering there's no brighter shade of metallics for eagles. You wouldn't have much to highlight with otherwise.

Everyone asks stupid questions at one point or another, The :) are the one who forget this part of their history.

Drybrush is ok, though I've never been satisfied with the results myself. Basic edge highlighting should work well enough, though taking a few glances at NMM sites and using those method with real metallic paints works wonders.

This guy's sword is in real metallic paint, but using basic NMM techniques for highlighting. I love how it turned out. If I can find the link I used for guidance I'll share it with you, but for a whole suit of armor it will doubtlessly be more complicated than a nice, flat sword. Even so, don't just write it off as unnecessary: it does produce great results and just requires a basic understanding of lighting to do decently.

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz201/Wills40k/Black%20Templars/IMG_2442.jpg

i wish i was a better painter but im not...^_^

I wish i was a decent guitar player, but like most things it's PRACTICE! Your first models likely won't be pretty, mine certainly weren't. I started painting things at age 13 or so with little understanding of shading or lighting or paint in general. For basic guidance, I'm glad to give some advice.

1) Keep your paints thin and your brush wet. Metallics are bound to do some damage to your brush, be sure to dip it in water and wash the mess off every time it runs out of paint.

2) Don't over do a brush load. Never let the paint run all the way up to the base of the brush, and learn patience. You will not be able to paint a whole model off one brush load of paint. If you can even paint one leg off of a brushload of paint, you've probably over done it.

3) Research. It sounds odd, I know, but looking at what other people have done and guides from google will save you a world of hurt. I didn't have so many online resources to pull from when i was a kid, and i whole-heartedly regret that.

4) Don't kick yourself in the ass! No one is a master at a craft their first time through the ringer. Paint some models after doing the above steps, and post the pictures of your end result. People here are kind enough to tell you what you;ve done right and what you;ve don wrong, without making you feel like a tool. Like I said, no one is a pro their first time through, and people on this site are remarkably merciful and kind in their advice. Exploit it!

Archived