Deathwind launcher

Judaz

I'm podding down my furiosos, 2 pods with locator beacons on and one with nothing. I've been looking at the Deathwind launcher for the pods, sure they fire a large blast, but at str 5, no ap and at short range, but at that cost?

Have anyone tried 'em, are they worth the points? The beacons draw enough fire so I don't really need the deathwind do I?

It depends to how many Drop Pods that you run. I do not think it is worth the points for a single drop pod to load itself with a beacon and a launcher. However, If you say reserve 3 - 5, one or two launchers will be an unexpected surprise. Also, by keeping the launcher seperate from your beacons, you'll draw hate towards them.

In a group of three, 1 beacon and 2 launchers means fairly reliably that people will see the big pie plates and be distracted by them, rather then the more insidious and subtle threat of accurate landing with your beacon.

That said, to clarify...do not put both on one, and it works best with 3 or more pods, using a combination of both options.

Ok, thanks. So they are worth the points?

I run 3 pods, 2 beacons down first turn, people tend to waste shots on the pods instead of other targets. DoA makes the DS kinda easy anyway :rolleyes:

I'll try giving the third pod a Deathwind then, if that works maybe go with 1 beacon and 2 Deathwind as you said.

Depending on what you normally run up against, Deathwind is totally worth it. Hordes hate having multiple pie plates dropped on them. Even with AP- the higher strength + low armour on most hordes equals alot of corpses. If you're opponents' armies are more elite then maybe not.

The biggest problem with the deathwind launcher is that the drop pod cannot shoot in the turn that it lands.

It is not a fast vehicle and does not have PotMS either. Since they count as moving cruising speed the turn they arrive, no shooting is allowed, bolter or launcher.

That doesn't make them totally useless though. The launcher makes the pod a priority target (like the beacon too), drawing some fire from the cargo. If you have just one pod coming in then that alone can be very helpful. With 2 pods or more coming in then the launcher is less and less helpful at drawing fire, but it is more likely to actually be able to fire a shot off.

Personally, I never have 'extra' points to spend on a deathwind launcher.

I run 3 pods, 2 beacons down first turn, people tend to waste shots on the pods instead of other targets. DoA makes the DS kinda easy anyway.

What do you mean? Pods don't benifit from DoA, is that what you are saying? Sorry if I just don't get it... Oh, I get it now, the beacons are not necessary because of DoA and people shoot at them anyway.

-Fury

The biggest problem with the deathwind launcher is that the drop pod cannot shoot in the turn that it lands.

It is not a fast vehicle and does not have PotMS either. Since they count as moving cruising speed the turn they arrive, no shooting is allowed, bolter or launcher.

That doesn't make them totally useless though. The launcher makes the pod a priority target (like the beacon too), drawing some fire from the cargo. If you have just one pod coming in then that alone can be very helpful. With 2 pods or more coming in then the launcher is less and less helpful at drawing fire, but it is more likely to actually be able to fire a shot off.

Personally, I never have 'extra' points to spend on a deathwind launcher.

I run 3 pods, 2 beacons down first turn, people tend to waste shots on the pods instead of other targets. DoA makes the DS kinda easy anyway.

What do you mean? Pods don't benifit from DoA, is that what you are saying? Sorry if I just don't get it... Oh, I get it now, the beacons are not necessary because of DoA and people shoot at them anyway.

-Fury

I find the exact same thing when I take drop pods.

On paper the deathwind launcher looks quite good and if you are podding up close into someones force the deathwind will no doubt wreak some havok on hoard based forces. The problem is, while I like the deathwind launcher I always find somewhere else to spend that 20 points that I deem more important or where I believe it will make more of an impact. Maybe that in itself says enough?

The Deathwind is a tough toy so far as I'm concerned because there are so few opponents where it actually makes sense. Against other Marines it just means you spent another 20-30 points on something he was going to melta into a puddle anyway. I suppose if you face a lot of small number of very large units armies it's quite good. But even then I don't think I'd be happy about dropping a one close enough to 30 Slugga Boys that if the pod is still around next turn I might get off a shot.

So I guess I'm saying it could be a good choice for units that aren't going to ride in it, if you can drop it somewhere you are going to want to be be just not quite yet. If that makes sense? ;)

I'm actually planning on using both the beacons and the Deathwind as decoys. If the opponent wastes the meltas on the pods, that means one less shot at the Furiosos B)

If the Deathwind is annoying enough the 20 pts is worth it.

Archived