Custom Characters

Erasmus of Baal

The Blood Angels codex has some serious firepower potential, between the usual Space Marine options (minus that rotating cannon on treads thingie), Fast vehicles, Baal preds, and cheaper weapons on Devi squads. But there aren't really any HQs or special characters of any sort going around that boost or even just are particularly good at shooting. Most of these were developed with the idea in mind of boosting shooting powers. I'm just looking for any sort of feedback, ranging from a short "golly IT SUCKZ" to a dissertation.

EDIT: removed the Librarian, tweaked a few others. See replies for change details.

Chapter Master John Grimm (HQ, 200 pts)

WS 5, BS 6, S4, T4, A3, I4, W4, Ld10, Sv2+(4++)

--Crusader’s Imperative: gets +1 to all save rolls (1 always fails)

--May fire boltgun and still assault, conferred to squad.

--Independent Character

--"Reaper" rifle: S6 AP3 36” Rapid Fire

--Iron Halo, Power Weapon

Tactical Sergeant Damien (+35 pts)

WS4, BS5, S4, T4, A2(3), I4, W2, Ld9, Sv3+

--Upgrade character for one Tactical squad, replaces Sergeant

--Wields 2 bolt pistols, may fire both in one round of shooting (extra attack accounted for in profile)

--If squad is assaulted, may shoot weapons as per the Shooting phase rules at I10 instead of attacking; these kills count towards combat resolution. This ability may not be used if squad is already in combat.

Captain Matthias the Nightmare (175 pts.)

WS4, BS5, S4, T4, A3, I4, W3, Ld9, Sv3+

--Agile: has 3+ Inv. save, rolls 2 dice when running and chooses highest

--not Independent Character

--Relentless, Fearless, Move Through Cover

--Special boltgun: S5 AP4 30” Rapid Fire

Terminator Sergeant Josiah (+30 points)

WS4, BS4, S4, T4, A2(3), I4, W2, Ld9, Sv2+5++

--Upgrade character for a unit of standard Terminators; replaces Sergeant.

--Terminator armor, power fist, storm bolter

--All terminators in the unit (including Josiah) gain +1 Attacks

--Josiah attacks in regular Initiative order rather than at I1.

Doubles shots is pretty nuts, no other character gets anything like that. I think the number of potential wounds is way too high, especially since it doubles things like demolisher cannons, assault cannons, and so on. Cribbing Lysander's bolter drill is more appropriate, so your bolters go twin-linked representing more hits but not crazily more hits, and it wouldn't affect vehicles so you're not getting 6 vindicator shots. The potential to get 6 demolisher shots from 3 vindicators would lead me to veto the whole set of specials in a second.

Do you realize Grimm has no power weapon? He seems kind of undercosted and weak in melee with his current setup, I'd throw in a power weapon. You should just ditch crusader's imperative, it sounds overpowered and probably causes some unforseen problem. Just give him a 3+ invulnerable save (by standard rules he could have a storm shield for it) and you get the same effect without a confusing rule. His bolt gun should be called something else or toned down, bolters don't get S6 AP3 - the stats are fine, but it's got to be some kind of archeotech, melee-oriented marines shouldn't get super-bolters-way-better-than-shooting-marines-get. His 'can shoot bolters and charge' rule should replace furious charge, not be in addition to it.

Damien seems overcosted to me, getting 2 S4 saveable I10 attacks in melee is kind of neat, but not 50 points neat - you could have a power fist and combi-weapon for fewer points. Also, his pistols should be twin-linked, since every other character who can fire two pistols in the shooting phase has a twin-linked pistol, not two shots. I think he really needs something else to be worth the bother of making up rules and a points cost, as it is he just doesn't seem worth the bother of making a rule for. Maybe something like Telion's rules. For the nightmare, does any other unit in the game get a 2d6" run move? If no other unit has an ability with similar mechanics, it's probably a bad idea. If he got to roll 2 dice take the best one I'd have no problem with it.

Librarian powers are grossly overpowered to me, getting 2+ armor save, FNP, and a 3+ invulnerable is a bit much. Making a whole unit +1S, BS5 is pretty out there too, most shooting boosts give one model in the unit a higher BS. Psionic force is fine on his side, but the enemy model version is extremely strong on the few units you'd use it on (seer council, thunderhammer terminators), doesn't make sense rules-wise (if you're attacking their defenses then it should be always negative like null zone, if it's protecting them then they should get the best of two saves), and gets to run on two units at once (one in your turn, one in opponents). Preternatural footing should just give 'move through cover', and gets silly letting the nightmare run 12"

Doubles shots is pretty nuts, . . . would lead me to veto the whole set of specials in a second.

I don't know anything about Lysander's bolt drill, so I have no idea about that. You're right, though, I should definitely tone him down. He was the least well-defined idea that I had in mind as I was designing these guys, so it's no surprise to me that he is a little ridiculous. Maybe just double shots for infantry? I wanted him more like the Sanguinor than like Mephiston, I wanted him to have some friend-buffing effects.

Do you realize Grimm has no power weapon? He seems kind of undercosted and weak in melee with his current setup, . . . . His 'can shoot bolters and charge' rule should replace furious charge, not be in addition to it.

It doesn't go perfectly with the original theming of the guy (John Grimm from the DOOM movie), but yeah, the Power Weapon does make sense in the alternate context. I don't know about a Storm Shield particularly, but it's a good call on the Invulnerable Save anyways. And I only made it a special boltgun because of the theming--he just had a special rifle. Again, should be changed, good call. I don't know where you're getting any mention of Furious Charge from, though.

Damien seems overcosted to me, . . . . Maybe something like Telion's rules.

The dual pistols was actually the basis of the guy--I'm not a fan of twin-linked, I'd rather just have 2 since we have to fire at the same target anyways. The idea with the firing as the enemies advance is a fluffy one, but the idea that it's wort hsomething tactically is that (1) it gives you a LOT more (or sometimes just better) attacks when being charged, and (2) allows you to ingore hordes' armor saves, increasing the chance that you can actually beat up on those Orks as they come flying in. I don't have C:SM, so I don't know Telion's rules.

For the nightmare, does any other unit in the game get a 2d6" run move? If no other unit has an ability with similar mechanics, it's probably a bad idea. If he got to roll 2 dice take the best one I'd have no problem with it.

Good one. I'll make the change.

Librarian powers are grossly overpowered to me, . . . and gets silly letting the nightmare run 12"

...honestly, at this point, I can't remember why I even MADE this guy. I mean, I can't even argue in his favor at all. If I can't remember the fluff on him and can't find better rules for him by the end of the weekend, I'll probably just dump him. Thank you for that.

EDIT: dumping the Librarian, and making the other edits discussed.

Overall, thanks for the commentary. I'm not sure what I'll end up doing with these guys, but I'll no doubt eventually get more ideas and even if I dump these, your commentary will definitely help them be less ridiculous. :lol:

Archived