Codex: Crimson Dragons (HQ Units)

dragonknight4275

So I recently started a Codex project for my DIY Chapter (like so many before me) and I just finished all the HQ units allowed in an army with this codex. I decided to post it here to see what you guys thought and also to help me smooth out any rough edges there might be. So take a look and see what you think! Oh and by the way, I used the Dark Angels Codex (yes, I did play DA, they were my first love of 40k) as a reference so you might see some resemblence.

Supreme Dragon Lazarus 225 points

WS6 BS5 S4 T4 W4 I5 A4 Ld10 Sv2+

Unit Type: Infantry

Individual

An army can only include one Supreme Dragon

Wargear

The Punisher - The Punisher is a master-crafted bolt pistol

The Dragon’s Fang - Power sword that allows S6 in Assault

Adamantium Wings - Provides Lazarus with 4+ Invuln. Save

The Scales of Steel - A suit of artificer armour

Frag/Krak Grenades

Special Rules

Fearless

Rites of Battle

Independent Character

Inspiring Presence - All friendly models within 12” of Lazarus count as having the Counter-Attack Universal Special Rule.

Davius, Master of the Flame 160 points

WS6 BS5 S4 T4 W3 I5 A4 Ld10 Sv2+

Individual

An army can only include one Master of the Flame

Wargear

Terminator Armour

Master-crafted Storm bolter

The Firespear - A two-handed Relic Blade

Special Rules

Fearless

Rites of Battle

Independent Character

Army Organization

If Davius is included in an army, Flame Brethren Terminator Squads may count as Troops as well as Elites choices.

Options

Replace master-crafted storm bolter and Firespear for twin lightning claws for free or thunder hammer/storm shield for +5 points.

Commander 115 points

WS6 BS5 S4 T4 W3 I5 A3 Ld10 Sv3+

Wargear

Frag/Krak Grenades

Power Armour

Chainsword

Bolt pistol

Iron Halo

Special Rules

Rites of Battle

Independent Character

Options

Replace chainsword with

- A power weapon for +15 points

- Single lightning claw for +15 points

- A Flame Weapon for +15 points

- A Flame Gauntlet for +20 points

- A power fist for +25 points

- A pair of lightning claws or thunder hammer for +30 points

Replace bolt pistol with

- A plasma pistol for +15 points

- A hand flamer for +5 points

Replace power armour with artificer armour for +20 points

Take a Dragon Amulet for +25 points (+1 attack, +1 Strength)

Take a storm bolter for +5 points or a combi-weapon for +10 points

Take meltabombs for +5 points

Take a jump pack for +20 points

Take a Space Marine bike for +30 points

Retinue - A Commander may take a Command Squad, but may not

leave it until it is destroyed.

Blade Champion (Emperor's Champion) 100 points

WS7 BS5 S4 T4 W3 I5 A3 Ld10 Sv2+

Wargear

Luna Blade - Power weapon that allows S6 to the wielder

Shielder - Suit of artificer armour that provides a 4+ Invuln. Save

Frag/Krak Grenades

Bolt Pistol

Special Rules

Oaths - A Blade Champion must take one of the described Oaths if it is included in an army:

- Oath of Purgation - The entire army gains the Preferred Enemy Universal Special Rule (50 points)

- Oath of Faith - Fueled by faith in the Emperor, all Invulnerable Saves are increased by one (70 points)

- Oath of Strength - This vow adds one to the Strength value of every model in the army, however (20 points)

it takes time to summon this strength, represented by a −1 to every model's Initiative

Duel of Champions - If there is an Independent Character involved in a close combat with the Blade Champion,

it may be targeted by the Champion even if it is not in base contact.

Reclusiarch (Chaplain) 100 points

WS5 BS4 S4 T4 W2 I5 A2 Ld9 Sv3+

Wargear

Rosarius

Bolt Pistol

Power Armour

Crozius Arcanum

Frag/Krak Grenades

Special Rules

Litanies of Hate

Independent Character

Rousing Chant - All friendly models within 12” of the Chaplain (including itself!) are Fearless and have +1 attack in close combat.

Options

Replace bolt pistol for a plasma pistol for +15 points or a power fist for +25 points.

Take meltabombs for + 5 points

Take a jump pack for +20 points or:

-Replace all wargear items with Terminator armour, a storm bolter, rosarius & crozus arcanum for +25 points.

A Terminator-armoured Chaplain may replace his storm bolter with a combi-weapon for +10 points.

Enforcer (Librarian) 120 points

WS5 BS5 S4 T4 W2 I5 A2 Ld9 Sv3+

Wargear

Power armour

Frag/Krak Grenades

Force Weapon

Psychic Hood

Bolt Pistol

Special Rules

Psyker

Fearless

Independant Character

Options

Replace bolt pistol with plasma pistol for +15 points

Take a jump pack at +20 or:

- Take a Space Marine bike at +30 points

- Replace all wargear items with Terminator armour, force weapon, psychic hood,

force weapon, and storm bolter for +25 points. A Terminator-armoured Librarian

may replace his storm bolter with a combi-weapon for +5 points.

Psychic Powers

[i'm thinking up some, I'll put them here as soon as possible]

Command Squad 100 points

Veteran: WS4 BS4 S4 T4 W1 I4 A2 Ld9 Sv3+

Unit Composition: 5 Veteran Space Marines

Wargear

Power armour

Bolter or chainsword

Frag/Krak Grenades

Bolt Pistol

Special Rules

Fearless

Options

One Veteran may replace its bolter or chainsword for a

power fist for +25 points.

Up to two Veterans may replace their bolter or chainsword for a

flamer for +5 points or a meltagun or plasma gun for +10 points.

One Veteran may be upgraded to a Standard Bearer with a Company

Banner for +15 points.

For +25 points, one Veteran may be upgraded to a Company

Champion by giving it a combat shield and replacing its chainsword

for a power weapon. Weapon Skill is increased by one.

One Veteran may be upgraded to an Apothecary with a narthecium

and reductor for +15 points.

Any Veteran can take meltabombs at +5 points per model.

Note: An army may include one Command Squad for every

Independent Character in the army and must accompany

the Independent Character it is for until destroyed.

*puts on review cap*

Hello, I'm BladeEncarmine, and I review Homegrown rules then disappear for weeks on end :D .

OK, lets start with the Supreme Dragon.

In perhaps a first for me, I actually have nothing bad to say about this guy. He's a fairly powerful CC fighter, with a minimum of 5 S6 attacks at WS6. Love the mastercrafted bolt pistol ;) . Granting a Counter-Attack aura is actually a novel change for a Space Marine HG character. All in all, he seems fairly priced for his capabilites.

Next: Master of the Flame

Again, love the rules and wargear. I have no complaints about then, though I do hold reservations based on exactly what the Flame Brethren Terminators themselves look like (assuming of course you're not making them simply Codex Termies with cool names). My only real annoyance with this guy is his statline... and it's one stat in particular. His Weapon Skill... up it to 6, he's a Captain equivalent. The current trend is for Captains and their equivalents to be WS6, so I say follow the trend. That said, I also suggest you take a leaf out of the Blood Angels Codex and make swapping to a TH/SS combo worth 5 points. Even going last, a 3++ save from a Storm Shield is a difficult prospect to slay. Also, if you take my WS suggestion, maybe push up his points up 5 to 10 points, just to keep things in balance. Otherwise, good job again.

Now: Quest Marshal

First off, why is he 5 points cheaper than a Codex Captain? While he is WS5, he has Rites of Battle, which is a big thing with LD10. As above, I suggest giving him a Codex Captain's statline and upping the points a bit. As to his wargear options, why the slightly odd prices compared to the newer codecies? While a single LC is a statistically better option than a PW, I feel it should probably stay in line with C:SM/C:BA and price out at 15 points. Also, why the points break on the powerfist? Also, I know it is possible in the C:DA, but why are you allowing the "Wolverine with a gun" thing? I think this HQ choice needs to be tweaked a bit to both bring it in line with the modern codecies and to re-evaluate some of the wargear options

Chaplain:

OK, this one is actually much too powerful. For 80 points, he's better than a 130 point Blood Angels Reclusiarch, except for a single wound and the Blood Angels exclusive wargear. The Aura effect is by far too powerful. Also, he's I5, which actually makes him faster than any Chaplain bar the ones for the older codecies (C:DA and C:BT) and the aforementioned Reclusiarch. You need to decide wheter he's going to be the rough equivalent of a "normal" I4 Chaplain or a Reclusiarch, and up his points cost accordingly (the basic Codex Chaplain is 100 points and significantly less powerful than your guy).

Finally: the Command Squad

First of all, why are they WS5? The only WS5 Space Marines are Champions, HQs, Lone Wolves, Khorne Berzerkers and Death Company. Not even Terminators, who are supposed to be the utter elites of a Chapter have WS5. Next, again, what's with the points break on the powerfist? Third, what exactly is a "Quest Banner"? Is it equivalent to a Company Banner? A Chapter Banner? Next, points break on Meltabombs... why? Up it to 5 points a model to be in line with the newer codecies. Finally... are you actually giving your characters the option of a retinue? If an IC cannont leave the unit he is joined with until it dies, that's a retinue. Retinues are... not nice when a Space Marine hero can't be picked out and starts swinging a powerfist or thunder hammer. Again, I think you may need to reevaluate your units before you continue on.

While your SCs are actually some of the most balanced I've read on this forum, I do think you need to bring your "standard" HQ units in line with C:SM characters, if only so that there's no glaring disconnects in terms of the basic stats between "normal" and your characters.

I hope I haven't been too much of an :HQ: in my review. Good luck with your codex.

OK, lets start with the Supreme Dragon.

In perhaps a first for me, I actually have nothing bad to say about this guy. He's a fairly powerful CC fighter, with a minimum of 5 S6 attacks at WS6. Love the mastercrafted bolt pistol ;) . Granting a Counter-Attack aura is actually a novel change for a Space Marine HG character. All in all, he seems fairly priced for his capabilites.

Thank you so much! I wasn't expecting a compliment for him (or Davius), but you've surprised me. Thank you!

Next: Master of the Flame

Again, love the rules and wargear. I have no complaints about then, though I do hold reservations based on exactly what the Flame Brethren Terminators themselves look like (assuming of course you're not making them simply Codex Termies with cool names). My only real annoyance with this guy is his statline... and it's one stat in particular. His Weapon Skill... up it to 6, he's a Captain equivalent. The current trend is for Captains and their equivalents to be WS6, so I say follow the trend. That said, I also suggest you take a leaf out of the Blood Angels Codex and make swapping to a TH/SS combo worth 5 points. Even going last, a 3++ save from a Storm Shield is a difficult prospect to slay. Also, if you take my WS suggestion, maybe push up his points up 5 to 10 points, just to keep things in balance. Otherwise, good job again.

Ok, I updated Davius like you said, do you think anything else needs to be checked? Oh yeah, about the Flame Brethren Terminators, my intention was for them to resemble the Dark Angels' Deathwing. I also wanted the option of a full Terminator army, just like some people have Deathwing armies.

Now: Quest Marshal

First off, why is he 5 points cheaper than a Codex Captain? While he is WS5, he has Rites of Battle, which is a big thing with LD10. As above, I suggest giving him a Codex Captain's statline and upping the points a bit. As to his wargear options, why the slightly odd prices compared to the newer codecies? While a single LC is a statistically better option than a PW, I feel it should probably stay in line with C:SM/C:BA and price out at 15 points. Also, why the points break on the powerfist? Also, I know it is possible in the C:DA, but why are you allowing the "Wolverine with a gun" thing? I think this HQ choice needs to be tweaked a bit to both bring it in line with the modern codecies and to re-evaluate some of the wargear options

I updated the Quest Marshal (now it's called a Commander for simplicity) so that the wargear options are better. I'll update the statline and points cost too.

Chaplain:

OK, this one is actually much too powerful. For 80 points, he's better than a 130 point Blood Angels Reclusiarch, except for a single wound and the Blood Angels exclusive wargear. The Aura effect is by far too powerful. Also, he's I5, which actually makes him faster than any Chaplain bar the ones for the older codecies (C:DA and C:BT) and the aforementioned Reclusiarch. You need to decide wheter he's going to be the rough equivalent of a "normal" I4 Chaplain or a Reclusiarch, and up his points cost accordingly (the basic Codex Chaplain is 100 points and significantly less powerful than your guy).

For this one, I lowered the Initiative to 4 as well as the BS, but I didn't really get what you wanted me to do with Rousing Chant. Should I delete it?

Finally: the Command Squad

First of all, why are they WS5? The only WS5 Space Marines are Champions, HQs, Lone Wolves, Khorne Berzerkers and Death Company. Not even Terminators, who are supposed to be the utter elites of a Chapter have WS5. Next, again, what's with the points break on the powerfist? Third, what exactly is a "Quest Banner"? Is it equivalent to a Company Banner? A Chapter Banner? Next, points break on Meltabombs... why? Up it to 5 points a model to be in line with the newer codecies. Finally... are you actually giving your characters the option of a retinue? If an IC cannont leave the unit he is joined with until it dies, that's a retinue. Retinues are... not nice when a Space Marine hero can't be picked out and starts swinging a powerfist or thunder hammer. Again, I think you may need to reevaluate your units before you continue on.

While your SCs are actually some of the most balanced I've read on this forum, I do think you need to bring your "standard" HQ units in line with C:SM characters, if only so that there's no glaring disconnects in terms of the basic stats between "normal" and your characters.

I hope I haven't been too much of an :D in my review. Good luck with your codex.

I made the meltabombs 5 points a pop and I also clarified the Quest (Company) Banner bit.....I also made them WS4 and upped the power fist cost too. Regarding the retinue issue, I think I'll leave it how it is because if it's not a retinue, then what's the point of a Command Squad?

Thank you for all the advice! And don't worry, you weren't too much of an :D , keep it coming like that! ;)

Archived