Slinging/scabbarding a chainsword.

ShinyRhino

Ok, here's the project I'm working on...

I'm about to embark on modelling up four Marine bikers. Each one is intended to be dual-purposed as a model. They can either be a member of a Biker Command Squad, or a standard Bike Squadron. They'll be WYSIWYG for use as vets, and can be buried in a standard squadron by simply saying the sword is a non-used item in that role.

Each is intended to be armed with both a bolt pistol, and a chainsword, as that is the basic wargear loadout for a Command Squad Veteran. I've got a bajillion holstered bolt pistols, so each member will have one of these either on his bike, or his right hip/thigh.

I've also accumulated a small collection of the Third Edition loose chainswords. These are chainswords without hands and arms molded to them. My intention is to have these strapped, slung, or affixed in some way to the left side of each biker's bike. Likely right below the seat, with the grip extending up just behind the backrest area of the bike.

The real dilemma is how to properly sling these chainswords so they look like they're not just tacked on to the bike body. I know all about mag-locks, but feel it's a piss-poor way to represent carried wargear. Yu have holstered bolt pistols, and scabbarded boltguns and power weapons, but not chainswords? Phhht.

Should I use some Greenstuff to model a hanging frog for the chainsword to be looped in? Maybe a half-scabbard wrapped around the top half of the chainsword?

I could wrap the whole sword in Greenstuff and make a passable sheath or scabbard, but I want them to be clearly recognizable as chainswords, which means leaving the majority of the teeth showing. Any ideas, anyone?

I would go with a "skeletonized" sheath, more of a frame really. I know there are some for tactical knives and such that only protect the blade and have enough material to hold the weapon. As far as mounting, I seem to recall T2 had the Governator packing a shotgun on the right-rear of a Harley.

Archived