dark angels characters idea

Brother Turok

Hi all,

So I have started using Forgeworld Commander Cullin's rules for Belial in apocalypse games. This is due to the fact that he is almost the same as what I used to take in 3rd and 4th edition, minus one attack. Once again I am having fun, Belial is strength 6 again (the way it should be, we were the first with strength 6 power weapons!), and my deathwing is doing much better!

However, back in third and forth edition I discovered my love of terminator chaplains with LC's. Once the new termy chaplain model came out with the BT codex I bought one up and put some LC's on him. However they took that away and I have had a useless model since 2007...

I was reading codex angels of death and found the character: Sapphon, Grand Master Chaplain for the dark angels. I had completely forgotten about him. He was one tough character back in the day. Blades of reason also killed whatever they wounded outright like blissgiver from the Chaos codex. So I got to thinking...

I was looking at my old model today and decided that the Chaos Lord's LC's look far more terrifying, so I did some chopping and am making a new model for Sapphon in termy armour. I think I may put magnets in his elbows so I can change out for SB/CA. His arms will be slightly outstretched with palms turned slightly up (just like a priests' pose). I was also thinking of gouging the chappies head out and putting Asmodai's head in it's place (opinions anyone?). No pics yet as my camera broke and I have to buy a new one :)

For rules (based off codex AOD) I was thinking:

175 PTS

WS BS S T W I A LD SV

6 4 4 4 3 6 4 10 2+/4++

WARGEAR: blades of reason LCs

RULES: same as codex DA

RITES OF BATTLE: Sapphon was a great inspiring leader according to the fluff

BOR/LC: lightning claws that either hit at strength 5 OR kill a model outright if model fails an unsaved wound (Not both, need opinion one way or the other) these are his massive blades of reason that he uses in battle and interrogations

I know he seems a bit good, but we don't have any uber characters like Logan, Abbadon, All blood angels characters, Calgar, etc.... His high WS and I are due to the fact that Sapphon had the WS 7 and I 7. This way he would have 6 attacks on the charge. I am not looking to make the best character out there like the sanguinor... I just want a fluffy characterful guy who can hold his own.

I need opinions on whether he should be strength 5 or have the old blades of reason rule (kill outright). He would basically be a character killer, which is what we DA need. I also need to know what you all would think a fair point cost would be. Under 4th I would take a termy chap with LC, and Adamantium mantle for 175pts. He would have 6 attacks on the charge with rerolls and rerolls... This new guy doesn't have the mantle/EW rule, but has BOR and upper WS and I to keep him in par with all the new uber characters.

Opinions anyone?

mmm, me no likey.

twemy armour and lightening claws, fine, instant death or str 5 fine (id go for a version of poisoned attacks as he knows how touse the lethal blades to inflict maximum pain etc. so wounds on say 4+ reroll to wound,or even 3 plus or some such. Kill out right, leave to libbys and traitors who cant stand a long fight. ws 6 is ok but initive 6... that makes him faster than... well prettymuch most marines...dont think thereas any vinilla, orwolves that do it, probably not even templars. If you want init 6 give him initv 5 and furious charge... course a character lik this that you want to kill stuff youll wan too be charging.

rights of battle, id remove that and say he gives subborn if it must be army wide, not that caplins should be giving army wide bonuses, maby squads with in 12 inches? you could maby give him some relic of the lion that gives him eternal warrior? Or maby challenging th opponent caracter to a dual so that they fight each other and only each other (harken to the challenges between dark angels and wolves)

Any of that look sensable? really it should endup in the 200point+ catagory if you want something to go up against the likes of calagar, abbadon, mephy etc as thats what they cost.

First off, thanks everyone for your opinions and help. I thought people forgot about my thread!

Hmmm... I see what you mean brother nathan. Alright how about this:

190 PTS

WS BS S T W I A LD SV

6 4 4 4 3 5 4 10 2+/4++

WARGEAR: blades of reason, poisoned (4+) LCs

RULES: same as codex DA

FURIOUS CHARGE

STUBBORN: Sapphon was a great inspiring leader according to the fluff from codex AOD

now he's just a normal chappy in termy armour with ws6, furious charge, and LC's. Since the LC's are the blades of reason they are poisoned on a 4+ (since he has re-rolls anyway). He also gives stubborn army wide as long as he is alive like the fluff from codex AOD. No EW since I think that would be far to much. I would rather give him toughness 5 before EW. Still not as good as calgar or abby, so he is a rough 190pts.

Other option would be the same stats above with EW for 240pts.

how bout now?

that seems better. so he hits on 4s, with rerolls on the charge, wounds on 4s with rerolls, not to shabby. another idea i had last night wasto take a look at astroraths rules. he weighs in at round 225points, increases chances of units geting the red thirst, is a chappy with a big axe (relic blade that rerolls succeul inv saves) how does that relate, well exhcangeing red thirst for stubborn, the axe for the special claws, and the artificer armour for termie armour, and you still have the jump pack to remove so your hitting into the right area points wise.

Archived