Honour Guard

th0r

2 Meltaguns, Claw, Fist, 4 SS and with a Reclusiarch attached.

Random question - I saw a few people posted having a MG and SS combo. As you need to replace the bolt pistol and chainsword to do this, would such a model technically not be able to attack in CC?

You can still attack, just one attack and no bonuses. You don't have to have a Close combat weapon to be able to fight.

Random question - I saw a few people posted having a MG and SS combo. As you need to replace the bolt pistol and chainsword to do this, would such a model technically not be able to attack in CC?

You can still attack, just one attack and no bonuses. You don't have to have a Close combat weapon to be able to fight.

Honor Guard have 2 attacks base.

It seems weird to me that a bare hand or in this case perhaps shield gives the same attacks/damage in CC as a bolt pistol or chainsword.

It seems weird to me that a bare hand or in this case perhaps shield gives the same attacks/damage in CC as a bolt pistol or chainsword.

Shield bashing is fun and effective,especially if the shield is surrounded with a forcefield.

I know from experience getting hit with a force-field can hurt, but compared to a chainsword? I mean its chainsaw on a sword, the average blow from one has got to be statistically more likely to do damage.

As to the subject I try to keep my HGs cheap. I'll try and use them more for their shooting and hard to kill priest than for their banner/close combat/ability to hold storm shields.

Currently, I've been running a Honour Guard with 4 plasma guns and jump packs. More often than not, they do enough damage to make up for their points, and they're a wonderful distraction. Yeah, they are a bit pricey for a Kamakaze squad (225 points), but since they're shooty, they're at their deadliest the second they land. Thanks to DoA, making sure they land in Rapid Fire range is a breeze, especially if Corbulo's around for a reroll. All in all, AMAZING for taking out that Long Fang pack happily Rocketing everything in sight. Eight Str. 7 shots are also pretty decent at making most Side armor sad in a pinch, so they're not complete 1 trick ponies. For great justice, you can attach a Libby with either Smite or Fear...

-edit- worth mentioning that FNP and Plasma infantry get along spectacularly!

Honor Guard have 2 attacks base.

yes, sorry. Simple mistake.

You can take 9 but im sure you already knew that....

Honestly, I find your response to be snarky.

If you read the Codex, it says you can take 1-3 Sanquinary Priests (1 of which can be Brother Corbulo) as a single Elites choice.

I've always interpretted that as you can have up to 3 priests in 1 elite slot and only 1 elite slot. Meaning you are limited to no more than 3 priests in your army, not counting Novitiates in an Honor Guard squad.

This wasn't addressed in the FAQ, and while I use Army Builder I've never tried to go beyond 3 priests in any list I've built, so I don't know if it allows you take more than 3 by making the 4th and 7th priests take an Elites slot.

If I'm incorrect, then my bad, Forgive my ignorance. I only started playing 40K again after 5th Ed was released and haven't played since 2nd Ed. It's like learning the game all over again. And GW is not always clear in their wording.

If you really wanted to, you could take more than 3 priests. The Priests don't have a 0-1 limit on how many slots they can take.

I agree. There is no limit to the number of slots you can fill, just a limit to the number of Priests per slot. Similar to some units in the game, like Tau Sniper Drones (although in their unusual case only one unit in the army can take multiple Sniper Drones). The question kinda really is; do you WANT to take more than three, and risk playing a KP mission?

Archived