Shoulder Pad Chapter Emblem

Hey guys,

Quick qustion, I know the chapter emblem is meant to go on the left shoulder pad from the model's point of view, but I was just putting the transfer on one of my assault squad guys and realized that because the arm is raised, the shoulder pad comes into contact with the jump pack too much to fit the transfer on correctly. Is it acceptable to put it on the right shoulder guard at all? I don't fancy the idea of having to take the jump pack off, I'm pretty happy with the paint job so I'm hoping to hear it's fine to do so !!

Thanks,

Rob

Perfectly acceptable. Chapter badges typically go on the left pauldron and squad markings on the right, but nothing says they can't be mixed up or even that they have to be displayed at all really.

The Codex Astartes even encourages frequent changes of marking styles, particularly for squads, to deny the enemy easy intelligence. On top of that individual brothers appear have a degree of latitude in all but the most Codex adherent Chapters as to personal markings and so forth. On top of that there's often the problem of logistics, studded shoulder pads for example make markings very difficult. See this Librarium article on Chapter & Squad markings for more info.

For the Raven Guard in particular note that they frequently mark the lower left leg with the Chapter insignia, hell, two out of the three heraldry figures in the first image in IA: RG show Marines with marked legs, so rather than switch pads maybe consider squad markings on the right pad, Chapter markings on the left leg and maybe something personal on the left pad? Maybe a purity seal? Or you could go with Imperial Laurels, the Iron Skull or a Marksman's Honour as described in this Librarium article on Astartes Honour Badges.

Archived