Battle Report: 7/10 - Mech BA vs Biker C:SM

bulley

As the topic says, tonight played a 1750 game of my Mech BA's vs my opponents Biker Space Marines.

This also was my first game with my mech BA after I gave up (after only a couple of games admitadly) of BA Jump as the logic behind the army really doesnt suit the way I can play. It also marks the 4th or 5th proper game I've played after a 11 year gap in the game (since early early 3rd Ed) and my first game with a list I am happy with and not just "filling" due to lack of models.

Also please excuse the poor writing of the report - its my first proper one, so not only memory fails but the way I write it also will be quite badly portrayed.

My List:

HQ:

Libby - URage, Shield of S

Meph - (Added to up from 1500 to 1750)

Elites;

SP (w/ Libby/Terms)

SP (w/ AC Raz)

Assault Terms w/ x1 TH

Transport: LR:C

Troops:

x5 ASM w/ PF/MG

RAZ w/ TLAC

x6 ASM w/ PW/MG

RAZ w/ LasPlas

x5 ASM

RAZ w/ TLLC

x5 RAS w/ PF/MG

Fast:

Baal w/ AC/HB

His List:

Capt w/ Bike

x4 squads of bikes w/ attack bike (x2 were "melta" squads, x1 was plasma gun/bolter, 1 was flamer/bolters)

x6 typhoons (in 3 squads of 2)

x3 Vindys

SPEAR HEAD - 3 OBJECTIVES

Board was decent cover, a mini bastion in middle some craters around this and tree's in both of corners.

1 objective just outside his quarter (far left corner) 1 just right of center in my deployment and one on the edge of the middle line of his deloyment (center line, his table edge).

I win and choose to go first - he does not steal. I setup as close to the 12" radius, LR in center, Baal blocking w/ front armor and 2 RAZ's behind, final (TWLC) behind both. All surround meph to keep him protected.

He deploys with vindy gun line middle back of his deployment, 2 squads of typhoons on my right, 1 on my left, 2 squads of bikes near each, capt is on my right. All kind of in the middle of his quarter near his objective.

TURN 1:

I bomb towards him with the LR. Baal goes off to the right to hit his typhoons, the 2 RAZ's (AC/Las Plas) follow the raider. Meph follows the raider for cover. TWLC Raz repositions to get a shot on the typhoons.

Shooting see's me kill 1 squad of typhoons with my Baal (instantly gaining all its points back!). The TWLC does nothing. Raider hurts a squad of bikes, the AC RAZ takes out 1 speeder on the left side of the field. the Las Plas does nothing.

His turn see him split his forces. He manages to stun and imob the las plas. His vindys fail on my LR. His melta squad fail on my raider (all missed!). I manage to cover save the second melta squad due to shield. On the right side of the table, my TWLC raz on my objective is stunned and cant shoot. He turbo'd his capt in what I assume was an attempt to get behind me, the other squad turbo'd quite near my baal. His vindy when shooting aat my LR did actually scatter and take out 1 of his own bikes from his crappy melta squad (that rolled 1's and 2's to hit).

Turn 2:

I roll for reserves, get my jumpy marines. I land them just behind his "flamer" squad, the one near my baal. Meph wings over near them aswell (being in range). The baal moves towards the right flank and the remaining typhoons there.

Shooting see's the RAZ and LR's AC's take out the remaining Typhoon on my left and put some hurt on the bike squad in the middle. 1 squad remaining now on my left flank. Mephy fires his plasma and doesnt hurt himself, assaults the entire squad by himself and mauls all of them, consolidates 1 inch twoards my jump pack marines who probably would get assaulted the next turn by the captain. The terms managed to destroy 1 vindy weap and imob'd all 3. These were sat 4" away from their home objective, meaning they wouldnt contest!.

In his turn he fires the 1 remaining typhoon at my baal, taking its AC off - not to bothered it had taken out 3 typhoons itself. His Captains squad assaults my jump packers, I take 1 bike down but they wipe me out. Consolidate about 12 inches away from meph. Vindys try and be sneaky and scatter their shots from on my LR back onto my terms - they do hit the LR and shake it, and force 1 wound on my libby due to a scatter (it did work). He knackers my LasPlas taking out both its weaps and imobing it with his 2nd melta squad.

Turn 3:

Pretty much over by this stage. Meph flies towards the captain. The Baal moves a bit out of the way of the TWLC Raz, which deploys the troops on the objective in cover. The 2 now land based RAS move toawards the smaller bike squad but leave itself in a position it can choose to assault either depending on how the LR does against one in shooting. I disembark the ASM from the imobed RAZ, the AC Raz I think was shaken, couldnt move but could shoot. My LRC ploughs up to the vindys and deploys sideways so that if I cant take them down, it will block sight to my army and force the vindys to move more than 6" or mess with their FOV. I deploy terms in a way they can assault all 3 vindys (SP/Libby at front, terms in a big line behind them). Meph decks the captains squad - but his iron halo saved him - but he fails LD and runs, about 18" from his table edge

His turn he just tries to take some damage off meph with the speeder. Doesnt manage to do it. Though meph is down to 4 wounds due to earlier shooting I believe.

Turn 4:

RAS's run towards objective, terms finish the last vindy (I think). Meph doesnt kill the capt due to iron halo again (no sword of sang this turn so didnt wound as much) but did 1 wound and thus won combat. Terms res-assault and kill all 3 vindys.

His capt shoots and charge's - again makes saves - but takes 1 more wound runs to edge of table just manages to stay on.

Turn 5:

RAS's manage to get to the 2nd objective, though its only the capt and speeder left, neither could quite contest if all went wrong. I positioned the tanks to try and pop the speeder, which both fail, meph finally takes down the captain.

His speeder fails to do anything and the game ended on a 1.

---------

It was a good game for me. Meph was a beast that I did not even think I'd use, but on my way to the store I thought if someone asked me for a 1750 game over a 1500 I'd use meph for a nice easy 250 jump.

I was pleased with my over all game, but it did come easy at times. My tanks shot well. I was unsure of just using 1 Baal but it's a monster vs light vehicles, especially open tops.

The only thing I am not 100% on right now is my jump squad. I like the idea of been able to reserve deep strike them near where I need them, but I think also for the 135 I spend on them I could get a x5 ASM w/ Ras (with flamer or HB) and power weapon, and use them to support whichever flank is desperate, giving me x4 RAZ's which could be a nice way to give myself plenty of cover saves and an extra contesting model.

I think I'll model them up and just have the option of both.

Also thinking of popping in a TH instead of 1 of the PF's to give some more punch to my assault.

I have a 750 game tomorrow which I get to test my core (x1 lib, x1 sp, x3 RAZ/x15 RAS) and will see how they do vs armies without using meph - will be up against a C:SM vanilla (thinking its capt/x2 tacs/x1 dread and maybe rhinos or could have some more heavies in there) and an eldar army which I think is wave serps w/ dire avengers, falcon w/ scorps as the core.

Archived