Even Paint

Glitch85

Hey, im currently painting some blood angel assault marines. So far i have done a black under coat then a mechirite red base coat and a badab black wash. Im having difficulty now getting an even coverage with blood red. I am getting streaks and it just doesnt look very good. I do thin down my paints with water but am I possibly thinning too much??

Regards

Stu.

I think the problem you're encountering (which is rather a common one) results from not enough layers of Blood Red. Because it's such a bright colour, it doesn't have very good coverage, more so as you've washed the mini(s) with Badab Black. If you keep adding thinned layers of Blood Red you should find that it'll start to become much smoother. Also, for future mini's you might find it easier and quicker to build up a smooth layer of Blood Red over Mechrite Red if you only paint the wash directly into the recesses of the mini's rather than over the whole thing.

hope this helps

James

If you want to prime them black, I've found that a layer of Mechrite Red, followed by a layer of Blood Red mixed with Mechrite Red (4:1) followed by coats of Blood Red is pretty good. The mixture of Blood Red and Mechrite Red seems to get a decent amount of coverage before you go with pure blood red.

Although more recently I've started priming my Blood Angels with Tamiya Fine Primer in Grey, which allows you to go straight to Blood Red with excellent coverage.

I noticed using blood red right over mechrite wasn't great. What I have started using now is after a black prime, mechrite red base...Mix Mechrite and blood red 50/50. I prefer my BA's somewhere between the classic bright look and the new gritty look and so far this method has really done me proud.

Over a black undercoat you'll want at least 2, maybe up to 4 thin layers of foundation followed by about the same of blood red. I'd strongly advise against using a wash for the shading. Just mix up some black with some red and paint it into the recesses. It takes longer but looks better. Or, if you're struggling, undercoat white. Aint no rule that says the undercoat has to be black :huh:

personally I'd build up colour. mixing as you go

so use a couple of thined down layers of mechrite, then mix some red gore into it and layer up.

keep doing this and then switch to blood red and red gore and so on.

check the tutorials section, there is more than likly a tutorial for painting red =]

My own recipe for red:

Base coat mechrite just because a thin coat of foundation is roughly equiv to 2 or 3 of traditional colours, and it is a smoot base to work with.

warlock purple, Scorched brown or black or scab red for recesses depending on whether you want a "cool" red, a "warm" red or a "neutral" red

Highlight layer with scab red, a couple of thin coats , wash with thraka green to add depth.

Layer with scab + mechrite, mechrite, blood red + mechrite, blood red and finally vomit brown or blazing orange depending on teh red that you are aiming for...

I'd have to agree will all the above, apply at least 2 layers of mechrite red, I'd wash with devlan mud instead of bedab black, just wash a couple of times if its not dark enough. then use a 1:1 mechrite to blood red layer, increasing the amount of blood red in each layer, 2 or 3 will do.

In the past I've also used a layer of warlock purple instead of mechrite red as blood red goes on very nicely over that.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well the thing is to thin down the wash so it doesent dry "uneven".

And mix blood red with mechrite red 50/50 and then paint on blood red.

And dont use badad black wash use devlan mud it gets better.

And if you thin down the paint use more layers maybe 4-5.

Allways thin down blood red because if you dont thin it you'll still ned like 3 layers and it gets gritty and a "uneven" coat, you want that kinda like a milky consistens.

thats all.

/HB M

Archived