Furioso's, Your Experience With 'Em

zebanash

depends which you have the foc spaces for, speciallly as you have to buy 5 death company to get a dc dread, so thats 2 troop slots that dont score, whilst eliteslots are full of competition, with priests termies, sanguard, sternguard, chaplins....

Today my Furioso did great. In a mission with 5 objectives my opponent dropped a drop-pod with dreadnought near one of my objectives, then on the following turn his beacon brought in a squad of terminators. His dreadnought was immobilized but the terminator squad was about to wade onto my objective. The Furioso made it over in time to slice every last one of them down.

Sadly most of the time, he is killed long before he would ever reach combat. I don't get to play against too many newbs either.

I've found the most effective use for Podding in a dread to be using the Frag cannon and a Heavy Flamer, drop in, drop 3 templates over whatever it is you want dead (and with it being first turn you can often hit a squad or two and rear/side armor on a vehicle or two, and while Str 6 isn't ideal, a 4 can glance most back ends) with one salvo, I've found its not uncommon to get 15 to 24 hits, and with 2's to wound MEQ on 2/3 of the shots, thats a lot of guys getting picked up. Plus the fist makes sure if it gets to assault the turn after, its doubling out pretty much anything that can be.

I run a similiar list, except at 2k. I drop pod in two furioso's first turn as well as push forward with my baals. Sometimes I throw in a furioso libby (which drop podding in is great if you can get your blood lance off and your opponent has castled all his armor) for fun, but in competitive games I tend to stay with the two furiosos' with blood claws, melta, flamer. In my experience they are great dropping in first turn, they give your opponent a serious threat that he has to deal with, giving other troops the chance to advance, which playing jump packs you need. A few words of advice though blood claws are great for dealing with troops, you will (should) absolutely devastate troops, but at all costs stay away from other dreads, with claws you only hit at strength 6, and you will find yourself sorely pressed. Also if you are going to pod in by melta equip'd squads try to do so in coordination with your baals, you really don't want to leave the melta alive. Overall I have had a very enjoyable time playing this way, it tends to work more than not. The biggest thing that will make or break you besides the dice gods, will be your choice of drop zone. Take the time to really understand what your opponent has on the field and choose who you want the dread to hit well. It's great to drop in and hit the soft target, but if you want your furioso to live till turn two and get in combat you have to think long term. I often move my forces in heavy on a flank first turn and try to have my furiosos' and baals' absolutely smash a section of his formation, forcing him to shift his desired direction to deal with me, while my other forces push straight up at him. Hope some of this was helpful, good luck

I've used Furiosos for years marching them up the field using a rhino for cover.

I think they're great when they get where they are going.

But mostly they've just drawn fire that way... sometimes still worth it.

As far as drop pods, I've never had much success with that method of delivery.

Lately, I've gone with the Storm Raven/DC/DC dread (with claws) option.

It's expensive, but disembark, run, and assault with the dread is terribly effective.

He has taken out wraithlords like that, not to mention the absolute carnage on infantry.

The only drawback has been the return fire... most likely he dies in the next turn.

But he draws the anti-armor shots that would normally go to the Raven, so it's a trade-off.

With the Raven, the DC, and the Dread, there's always something left to rip a hole in their battle line...

or to decapitate his army by knocking out the most dangerous elements.

Then my speeders and assault marines clean up the rest.

Ive found that running with out the "talons" works better for me. To many times I have walked through a unit only to be standing out in the open, and then promptly shot to pieces. With out the talons it gives me two turns of combat to finish off the squad, and then able to charge another. Though, I do like to run one and one, and have them either work in tandem or separate areas of the field to hack through units.

• 2 years later...

Hmmh which would be better to take in a storm raven..... DC or Furioso??? Im running one in a raven but can't decide which. the DC ignores crew shaken and stunned but the furioso has AV 13......

Speaking as someone with admittedly no experience beyond theory, a DCD assault right out of a stormraven, either BF or BT, gets you SIX ATTACKS devil.gif . Whoever you charge, whatever you charge, I'd like to see it live through that.

I am all for the frag cannon heavy flamer on the furioso it is a death dealer bye bye xenos to thanks to the heavy flamer. and AV 13 is really strong. I would be using the frag cannon dread to deal with any troops the but for synergy of your list I am not sure if the assault cannons on those baal preds is really going to get the job done. but that's not the point of the thread.

point furioso frag cannon dread in a drop pod is a turn one nuke that will save your army from shooting cause your enemy will be scared and have to kill him round one

Hmmh which would be better to take in a storm raven..... DC or Furioso??? Im running one in a raven but can't decide which. the DC ignores crew shaken and stunned but the furioso has AV 13......

Speaking as someone with admittedly no experience beyond theory, a DCD assault right out of a stormraven, either BF or BT, gets you SIX ATTACKS devil.gif . Whoever you charge, whatever you charge, I'd like to see it live through that.

I'd go for blood fists when delivered by raven. Multi charge vehicles if parked bad. Instagibbing toughness 5 Bikes etc. Yes please.

This tread is 2.5 years old. 5 ed.

I am all for the frag cannon heavy flamer on the furioso it is a death dealer bye bye xenos to thanks to the heavy flamer. and AV 13 is really strong. I would be using the frag cannon dread to deal with any troops the but for synergy of your list I am not sure if the assault cannons on those baal preds is really going to get the job done. but that's not the point of the thread.

point furioso frag cannon dread in a drop pod is a turn one nuke that will save your army from shooting cause your enemy will be scared and have to kill him round one

That's my choice in a pod as well. :)

He doesn't need to drop offensively all the time....

Old thread is old, but my 2p worth anyway :)

Usually I place a "Fragioso" in a Drop Pod (Melta Gun and Magna Grapple) and this is rightly feared by my opponents, however I have recently been using the Furioso Librarian with Wings and Shield to a) shield my vehicles and b) to eat overwatch fire on the charge. However I have also learned not to charge it into cover and unaided as it lacks Frag Grenades!

I think it depends upon how you want to use a Furioso Dreadnought. Your list currently has a lot of similar core units I use so I believe a Furioso Dreadnought in a drop pod would work quite well. I have ignored my two Furioso Dreadnoughts for some time now because of the disadvantage of walking and not having the drop pod models. However in friendly games you can proxy to help you discover the abilities of units in a friendly environment.

I used one Furioso Dreadnought with a Frag Cannon in a drop pod against a Grey Knight army and the opening drop Frag Cannon damage killed some Terminators right away. I then used two Furioso Dreadnoughts with a Frag Cannon in a drop pod. The first came down and basically permanently damaged an infantry squad and the second which arrived turn two permanently damaged another infantry squad.

The idea I have been using is to drop them were they can do some damage and remain in the enemy deployment zone. The Frag Cannon is gorgeous and its threat radius is so deadly it will uproot infantry and tanks as they will want to stay away from it. This causes the Dreadnought to become a fire magnet, but this gives opportunity for your other troops to avoid some fire and advanced if needed. If the enemy fails to remove the Dreadnought from their deployment zone they can easily have a flank collapse. The Furioso Dreadnought's awesome front armor 13 poses serious problems to low weapons and even a challenge to strength 8 weaponry and even melta weapons outside melta range.

For some context here is a link to a battle report where I used the two Furioso Dreadnoughts. The first was never rid or damaged. If you read and examine the pictures you can see how the Dreadnaught in the enemy's deployment zone unchecked combined with support fro other units collapsed the enemy's left flank very early on in the game. The second got stunned and unable to assault the next turn after it arrived, but was never rid of. 

Archived