Magnets & You, Having some difficulty

zebanash

So, i want to magnetize the backpacks and JP's on my Assault marines just incase i want to rhino some day. As well as magnetize my tanks and all manner of turret options.

So i ordered some magnets from this site, http://www.indigo.com/ Its got fair shipping and the prices seemed fair.

I've got 165 4x1.5mm Magnets, and for the life of me, i cannot get these bastards mounted on the backs of my marines, seems i must have ordered them too large?

I was using a regular drill to try and drill a hole and just plop the magnet in, but either my drillbits are garbage, or these plastic models are just far far too resilient.

Was wondering what size of magnets everyone is using for this, as well as techniques on how to get these properly in a plastic model.

Thanks

4x1.5mm? Seems it's too much of a width: I just measured that protrusion at the back torso where one attaches a JP and it's almost 4mm (save a hair). If you can change them for another size, I suggest getting the 3x1mm disc (or perhaps the 2.5x2.5mm cylinder? though 3x1mm being that thin, I do hope the magnet-glue-jp would be stronger than the magnet-to-magnet bond...

But if you're stuck with these meaty magnets, then all I could think of is to carve-out the area at the back torso to accommodate the 4mm-wide magnet, filling the torso cavity with epoxy putty/GS. (Hope somebody else would pitch in/had similar experience with a magnet with/close to that dimension)

If it helps, I use 0.125"x0.125" cylinder (3.175x3.175mm) on my JP/backpack. On the JP/backpack, it juts out 1mm or so, if not, I'll be bursting a hole through the bit (pic here) with the mating magnet at the torso countersunk...

Hth

Hi!

I would like to recommend you switching to 3mm x 1mm as well.

That is what I have used and it works like a charm.

With 1,5mm depth I can see that you may have some problem.

UPDATE:

The 4mm is perhaps a bit too wide as suggested but what you really seem to have a problem with is drilling, right?

I used a drill bit design for wood and it worked fine. The 4mm magnet should be fine when drilling the back/back pack.

I've used Death Company models and the above-mentioned drill and it worked fine.

What I did have slight problems with though was to "drill through".

I realized after a while that the magnets I have are moderate in strength.

Therefore I could drill right through and make a hole to the inside of the model leaving no support for the magnet but the sides.

To be clearer, I used some force to drill into the model and then glued the magnet to the model only having glue on the sides (the circumference) of the magnet.

Does that make sense?

If you have any problem drilling through just get a new bit that is really sharp.

Stay away from bits made for going through metal or concrete as these bits are to blunt (maybe the problem you are facing).

If you can not find bits for drilling through wood or similar soft materials see if you have a hobby store close by that can help you.

Last but not least, I decided against using a model drill itself, just using the bit in my fingers.

It works just fine, but if you drill more than like 10 or so holes in the same amount of minutes you start wishing you had invested in a drill (handle?).

Visit my blog for more info.

The building of 2000pts of JP Blood Angels

I've used 3x1 mm for the arms of my Deathwing and for the sponsons (LR and Predators) to good results.

Maelstrom now carries 1.6x1mm, I've gotten a few (haven't recieved them yet, so no opinion), I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW, originally I did get a few 5x2mm magnets and they are HUGE.

Hey guys,

I found out that yeah, was using a metal bit off the drill, went out and picked up a 2.5mm hobby drill bit made for plastic and then got some 2.5mmx1mm magnets. This seems to work wonders in the jetpacks and backpacks and ended up magnetizing all 30 of my assault marines in little over an hour.

When i was building my baal's i actually found the 4mm magnets usefull because they have such high strength, they hold the sponsons and cannons pretty solid so i can hot swap between the Flamestorm and assault cannons, as well as the HB sponsons!

Looks like the heavy ones will be usefull for any vehicles i plan to build, specially if i start getting into apoc again and building baneblades :D

Archived