RazorBack Spam strategy help

Redfinger

Hey guys,

So I have played about 10 games now w/ BA, I have really only played my jumper list that I have been having alot of fun with and that I am getting better with. Last friday I ran a razoorback spam list like this;

4 Razors w/ TLAC and 5 man melta/IP inside

2 Baal's w/ TLAC and HF sponsons

1 RAS w/ JP's Melta's/PF

1 Sang Guard w/ Banner and PF, Librarian goes here.

3 Rifleman dreads

So the game was kill points and the deployment was spearhead, the one w/ apposing quarters....anyway, I won the objective and deployed my Baal's on the outer flanks, razors in the center jump troops behind them w/ rifleman dreads behind it all, everything was as close to the center as possible. Of course my opponent stole the objective, deployed his battlewagons w/ loaded with some IC and 'ard boyz as close to center as well and proceeded to destroy me. By the end of his turn three I had lost both Baal's, 3 razors, and 2 squads and the Sang Guard and Librarian. I called the game at this point....

I was rather frustrated with this game, I told the guy beforehand that I was a new player still learning the rules and trying out a new list, but he treated it like some tourney and kicked my a$$, now I have no problem loosing, but if you are clearly better than me, and know your going to win, at least teach me something....anyway I digress

I would like to run this list again as I think it has some potential but I need some tips on how to use it, now my poor deployment aside, what general strategies can I use w/ TLAC spam to be as effective as possible...

Thanks in advance

Ashton

Hello Red. Glad to hear your liking Mech BA. It's my favorite and after choosing BA because I like dreads so much, a week after playing them I found out about "mech ba lists." Instantly hooked...anyways here goes.

Baal Preds I like to run 3 ways...

-Flamestorm cannon + Flamer Sponsoons and outflank. (Least favorite way) This gets you in close fast and gives you a moderate chance to use all your weapons when rolling in from table sides.

-Flamestorm cannon and on board. Considering turn 1...You scout as FAR as you can. Then you move 12" and burn shizzle up. You don't get sponsoons because moving 12" you will only be able to fire one weapon. Plus it's a suicide move that purely devastates some armies. So no more points into the unit is a good thing.

-TL AsC + HB Sponsoons on board. (Favorite way) vs Horde type armies it will pump a lot of shots into whatever you want and kill a lot of junk. Love it and use it.

Never truely tried Sang Guard in the list...I usually go DC in another RB with a Chap for my Assaulty. If your running 1 or more groups of RAS in squads of 10 then I suggest 1 Sang Priest to roll with them. Possibly put in a RB but keeping the RB close to the 10 man group so they get the FC/ FNP bubble. Usually I don't so I don't put Sang Priests in but it's not a bad idea to. Looks good.

Deployment: One thing that works well is let's say I have a table side. With my list I would put 2RBs, 1 Baal, 1 or 2 Las Preds on one side. Then the exact same thing on the other side. (Roughly 24-36" away from each other)

This forces your opponent to do certain things. Forcing your opponent into situations = :). They will either split their forces to deal with yours. Or put all their stuff on one side. They put all their stuff on one side you just move 12" with all your fast vehicles into that side and out maneuver them and keep shooting and moving 12". If they split their forces, you "re-deploy" as people call it and move all your stuff to their weakest side. Basically turn 1 u can move the group that's farthest away 12"-18" towards their weakest side, causing one of their halves to try to keep up with you. Usually they won't be able to... Now you blow up one side with all your fire since it's weakened by split deployment. Then you go for the other side. Done.

Hope this helps.

Read what I posted...

TLDR: Don't over extend. Use speed to your advantage. Take out his fastest things that can try to reach you. Battlewagons are easy to kill with those TL AsC. Your fast so side armor is easy to hit. Split deployment and use "redeployment" strategies. Don't waste points on TL AsC + Flamer Sponsoon Baals. Get HB sponsoons for all range or suicide with just Flamestorm. (Suggest TL AsC/HB route)

Read what I posted...

TLDR: Don't over extend. Use speed to your advantage. Take out his fastest things that can try to reach you. Battlewagons are easy to kill with those TL AsC. Your fast so side armor is easy to hit. Split deployment and use "redeployment" strategies. Don't waste points on TL AsC + Flamer Sponsoon Baals. Get HB sponsoons for all range or suicide with just Flamestorm. (Suggest TL AsC/HB route)

Yes I saw your suggestions, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
I run a similar list for my BA, I'm liking it so far. I run a nine man DC with Chappy in a rhino to deal with boggy down an opponents big units. My DC have been able to stop entire 30 boy mobs and still do serious damage to nobz and warboss. Just remember to move flat out and pop smoke the turn before you are going to assault. I use the JP's squad to take out units once they are out of vehicles, I run a PF w/sgt and flamer in that squad + JP priest w/power weapon. Currently I have flamer baal and TLAC baal, but I'm going to find a way to get some points for HB's on it. Since I tend to roll snake eyes with fist, I might drop a few get PW's and squeeze them in. The ability to stay mobile is great in a game, I like a couple of Lascannons though for long range.

All your units can move 12" and still fire, apart from the Dreads which should be on your own board edge anyway. Maintain your distance because Orks and also Tyranids will drag you down in combat

Maintain that 12" movement to deny the Orks an opportunity to drag your vehicles down in combat, then strip away their ranged threats and their mobility using your massed Assault Cannon and Autocannon fire.

And you will learn nothing if you don't ask your opponent questions. A good player will usually be happy to tell you about the strengths and weaknesses of both his units and your decisions.

Mobility of the fast vehicles is what you need.

Also realising what the strength of the opposition is and playing, some what, against that.

I find razor spam very versatile, I can shoot down assaulty armies with mass AC/HB fire, or I can try and engage shooty armies in CC.

Orks typically are a fast and furious combat army, I'd deploy accordingly, using my 12" movement to stear clear of them, pop holes that I can move through, and engage on my terms.

Also with your list - I like the core - x4 Raz's x2 baals - much the same as mine. But I dont think the sang guard have a place in this list, nor the dreads really. mech is really about moving, and the dreads will get bogged down, especially if you need to move around fast, unless you put them on a home objective and ask people to shift x3 AV12 mobs from cover to claim that objective. The sang guard, and to some extent the RAS dont blend as well as more razors or tanks could. While I like the sang guard, 250 odd points could see x2 squads of x5 ras and a standard razor + a melta gun or p/w (with some point shifting) or if you want a "super unit" - a razor w/ some honor guard and either pw's or melta's.

RAZ-spam is one of the tougher lists to play against most orks army, because they're particularly good at attrition, while 5man RAS teams are simply not.

All your melta tank hunting is also inside the razors which means they have to get out (and get countered) to use their weapons.

Id change at least one RAZ to a TLLC and as mentioned by others, get HBs on the baals.

The rifleman dreads are good for light transports, but are useless against AV14 and really iffy against AV13.

Consider dropping one for 2MM attack bikes.

What powers are you using on your libby? My recommendation would be rage/fear. (Espeeecially against Orks).

Tactics wise, as mentioned already, you must make use of your speed. Use it to hit side armour.

Use the baals ability to scout move to get that, and use your lascannons too.

Do you have a priest in this list?

You should never be getting out of your vehicles against orks. If you get out, you die.

Use your 12" move to get side armour. 4 TLAC shots per vehicle will definitely at least slow down the Battlewagons, and will vaporise Trukks

Archived