Lamps for painting

I was searching this board and several other such as warseer, beast of war, GW fanworld, as well as google and many, many sites offering lamps and bulps.

But among all those pages and posts I did not finde one which was really helpfull :teehee:

I am currently searchign for a lamp - more for a bulp actually which I can use to paint my models. I already know from what all thos sources say and from my own experience, that it should be a daylight bulp. This however seems to be a science of its own. Daylight is not the same as daylight according to all those sources I went through. Daylight is between 5300 and 6500 Kelvin according to wikipedia. Daylightbulps for photography however have a different amout of Kelvin than those used for plants and those which are used for light theraphy. Also everyone says the quality of the light and especially how the paints look under it are strongly affected not only by how many kelvin it has, but weather it is and LED or halogen bulp etc.

So can PLEASE just someone raise his hand now and say:

Hi chap - look I have this really simple lamp here. I paint under it and the light is bright, it does not hurt the eyes while using it for a long time, and the colors look realy natural. This is the name of the lamp and the bulp (which I hope is available in germany...)

Many thanks in advance.

Tony

IKEA do the cheapest 'decent' lights I've found - 'Morker' - they're about £4 each (and you want at least 2) and come with a longlife/fluorescent spotlight bulb. Not too harsh lighting, but bright enough, not that far off white in colour (perhaps a little on the yellow side). Paired to cut shadowing, they're what I used till I got a much larger version of the same thing (with a ring fluorescent and magnifying glass). I still use them for photo work and work on my second work area.

IKEA do the cheapest 'decent' lights I've found - 'Morker' - they're about £4 each (and you want at least 2) and come with a longlife/fluorescent spotlight bulb. Not too harsh lighting, but bright enough, not that far off white in colour (perhaps a little on the yellow side). Paired to cut shadowing, they're what I used till I got a much larger version of the same thing (with a ring fluorescent and magnifying glass). I still use them for photo work and work on my second work area.

I am afraid this model is not available in germany (any more) since I was not able to find it in the IKEA onlineshop.

As a lamp itself I found this one pretty usefull since I know some architects which use them in their workspace.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B001PH7V68...;pf_rd_i=301128

Now the only question is which bulp to take - since you already mentioned the IKEA once are a bit to yellow...

Without getting into the whole sciences of it (really nitpicky, at this point you're looking to paint models, not grow plants), look for lamps with fluorescent bulbs, not halogen.

You also want a lamp that has a relatively wide degree of motion, allowing you to reposition the lamp to direct light to where you want it. Avoid any made of plastic, or with plastic parts (I snapped 3 lamps this way because they weren't robust enough to handle the constant repositioning). Get a lamp with a nice metal frame. I have been using the same 3 lamps for almost 5 years now, no problems.

DV8

Picked up one of these a while back and its working out well. I know it's got a high price tag but I've painted a night with this being the only light on in the room without problems. I'm an average painter at best so make of that what you will.

Archived