Sanginary Guard Army

biglou666

Hi guys! i have been sat in thought for hours now, and i cannot decide if i want to do a sanguinary guard army. I have dante, the essential piece of the army, but i have yet to buy any SG. (i know it is a crime isnt it? all ba players hould have at least one box... xD) soo, should i go for an SG army? or should i do somthing else? if i did it it would only be a small army, say... 1500 points, with three sqauds of SG, dante, and a 6 man termie assault sqaud with a priest in a crusader. very very compact, but still hard hitting, with those tough to crack termies in a land raider aswell. oh, and all the SG have one power fist and one infernus pistol per sqaud. Dantes sqaud has a chapter banner aswell.

I like the idea, but im concerned that the SG may not work in large amounts. have u guys had any experience with SG? u like them? And any tactics that will help me if i do go for it? thanks, biglou.

i have minimalk experience with a single unit, (i plan on a full SG army eventually) but w/ 4-6 base sg squads is~ 1200 (6 units), that'ss no gear on em kit em as ya like, and get 6 S priest @ 150 per squad base. that leaves you with approx 200 points of war gear in a 2000 point list. whole army with FC and FNP. not sure how effective that would be. though 6 2+ armor save units flying at you means some are getting in. might have to drop 2 SG squads for support at 2k points or bump it up to 2500-3k point games

It is very fun to play Sang Guard lists

Get a Sang Priest unit of 3 and place 1 of each in a Sang GUard unit. I like the idea of the Terminators and their LR. In Dante's unit: I would scrap the banner and replace it with giving another 1-2 of GUard more Infernus Pistols as I enjoy using Dante's ability to place them next to the opponents vehicles.

BEfore buying all the models u need for this army, I would suggest using the models u already have as a counts as army. Then figure out if u like playing it and if u don't then collect a different type of army. :) Simples

I would say just go for it. You cant go wrong if you dont plan on winning, and its alot more fun to play the game this way.

I couldn't agree more. If you have a theme and style you are happy with and proud of, it really makes the gaming more fun (for me anyway) even when I get slammed.

I have only used 1 unit of SG (with Dante) on a regular basis. My role for them is probably quite different than yours would be. I'd say you really do need some more priests with JP's and possibly even a Librarian with Shield. You have nothing in your list that will keep vindicators/battle-cannons from erasing your entire force in the first two turns. I like multi-melta attack bikes and speeders to either blow up his AP1 and AP2 or at least stun them.

I used to a run an allout assault list with just a few anti-tank weapons. But one would get stunned, one would miss and it would always come down to just that one last single shot to get everything done... not possible. The Shield of Sanguinius may help you stay alive longer and get into threat range, assuming you don't bone the psychic test like I always do, and then you can roll some 5's. :)

3 units of SG with 1 Fist, 1 Infernus Pistol and one of them carrying Company Banner

Dante with Honour Guard with 2 Melta Guns and 2 Plasma Guns, 2 Power Weapons and a Thunder Hammer

Librarian with Jump Pack

3 Sanguinary Priests with Jump packs and Power Weapons.

Whats that come to?

I think each squad should have two infernus pistols and a power fist. One squad should also have the banner as well, attach Dante to this unit. Each squad should also have a Priest with a power sword. I would then use any leftover points for Stormravens and Furiosos (Blood Talons). Note that the Sanguinor works very well with this style of an army.

0b :HQ:

id say get 1 box first to see if you like building and painting the models, which you likely will. so firstly dante,youll prob want a matching jump pack. then san priests, do you want their packs/models matching? id say give them power weapons and infernus too. especially the one that goes with dante. now you said you want each squad with an infernus and fist. fist i agree with, infernus....you get one per box, and you want a few with dante to make use of his pinpoint drop, and the fact you can leave cc, and then fire again and recharge in... so amby replacd the infernus in a few squads witth plasma? or not as they dont all need it if they have a fist.

and you want termies in a raider, which of both? another option to distract fire would be a podding dread of one variety or another. ven dread could be made to fit in nicely as whatever varient you want.also the weapons that hurt dreads hurt san guard so it might be good for extra armour or whatever on it...

after that maby a libarian for the coversave power?

Ive got 2 of 3 squads built so far, with 2 Sang Priests as well. I was originally going to go power fists, but right now I am thinking mostly base SG squads with backup in other area's of the army.

Great looking models, and I really look forward to getting some games in with my SG army soon.

wow, thanks for all this advice! i am sure that i want a go now...

looks like im going to have to invest in some more infernus pistols though! ive sorted through the points, and basically i can get three sg squads, dantes sqaud has banner and all 5 pistols, and 1 fist. the others will have 2 fists, and two infernus pistols each. then, i can put a 6 man termie assault sqaud with two hammers into a crusader, with a termie priest. roundabout 1500. thanks for the ideas and advice, im looking forward to playing this now... but just not against horde armies! xD

There is quite an interesting concept list over at YTTH which is basically a SG list including Devs with MLs from memory.

Several min sized Dev squads with 4 MLs take care of armoured issues (can leave a priest with them), then basically stock standard SG units to fill out the points. Think it had a Lib HQ too.

I'd only have a priest per 2 squads of SG as you'll want to be sticking together.

Then your opponent has a hard choice, try and kill the SG before they hit their lines, or the Dev squads.

Dev squads also mean fists are less necessary, but if your using pistols always take 2 Infernus.

I find PP's an interesting choice too since their increased range means they can be useful against rhinos but they are also great against tougher infantry you may face, or anything you want to take down hard but not charge.

Definately a more fluffy list, but still pretty cool.

Also I'd be tempted to use Dante with HG as someone else suggested, 4 MeltaG and maybe 2 PW's or LC's and they'll make an excellent bomb for taking something out.

I'd probably avoid the Termies however, doesn't really fit the list, and I think you'd probably find for those points you could add other things that would be more effective!

Also interested to hear how you go, my next project may be a SG army!

There is quite an interesting concept list over at YTTH which is basically a SG list including Devs with MLs from memory.

Several min sized Dev squads with 4 MLs take care of armoured issues (can leave a priest with them), then basically stock standard SG units to fill out the points. Think it had a Lib HQ too.

I'd only have a priest per 2 squads of SG as you'll want to be sticking together.

Then your opponent has a hard choice, try and kill the SG before they hit their lines, or the Dev squads.

Dev squads also mean fists are less necessary, but if your using pistols always take 2 Infernus.

I find PP's an interesting choice too since their increased range means they can be useful against rhinos but they are also great against tougher infantry you may face, or anything you want to take down hard but not charge.

Definately a more fluffy list, but still pretty cool.

Also I'd be tempted to use Dante with HG as someone else suggested, 4 MeltaG and maybe 2 PW's or LC's and they'll make an excellent bomb for taking something out.

I'd probably avoid the Termies however, doesn't really fit the list, and I think you'd probably find for those points you could add other things that would be more effective!

Also interested to hear how you go, my next project may be a SG army!

Maybe take the libby as a second HQ, but in order for SG to count as troops at all you need Dante in your list. This sounds like it would be fun in higher point games.. And now for some reason I keep thinking of what sort of mayhem would happen in a 2000 pt BA mirror match. Dante's SG host against Astorath and a DC horde.

Close combat, anyone?

haha SG army versus DC army? i think that dantes side would have the edge there, sooo many power weapons! no fnp for you, silly death company! x]

Army Build Update: i still have yet to buy any boxes of sg, purely beacause im saving up for a certain said Computer game, so youll have to wait untill after november the 9th for any pictures of the models! XD some of you might be able to guess what game it is, but i thought id leave it out, after all, this is a warhammer forum!

haha SG army versus DC army? i think that dantes side would have the edge there, sooo many power weapons! no fnp for you, silly death company! x]

Army Build Update: i still have yet to buy any boxes of sg, purely beacause im saving up for a certain said Computer game, so youll have to wait untill after november the 9th for any pictures of the models! XD some of you might be able to guess what game it is, but i thought id leave it out, after all, this is a warhammer forum!

Don't count the DC out just yet, sure, the FNP may not get much play, but there's 30 of em to a unit, plus Lemartes in there somewhere and maybe even a dread or two would survive the Infernus Pistols to crack some death-masks. Not to mention if you wanted to be a real jerk, DC can come loaded down with power weapons, too.

Well i have an idea for a list now, including half SG, and Half Devastators. Thanks you guys for ideas and inspiration! ;)

Dante,

SG, I Pistol x 5, Chap Banner, x1 Power fist

SP, J-pack Power weapon

_

SG, I Pistol x1, Power fist x1

_

SG, I Pistol x1, Power fist x1

_

Tactical Squad, Power weapon metla gun plasma pistol rocket launcher

SP - no uppgrades

_

Devastators x4 Heavy Bolters + 5 men Storm Bolter

_

Devastators x4 Plasma cannon + 5 men Storm Bolter

_

Devastators x2 rockets x2 lascannon + 5 men Storm Bolter

total 1999 points. sorry for all the mistakes + abbrev' :( but its late in england xD

i'll go over tactics and my ideas tommorow! :P

dev squads, id loose the storm bolter as the sarge likely wont be shooting in order to boost the bs of the heavy weapons. alsoyes heavy bolters are nice for taking out infantry, specially the likes of nids etc, but i thiink the main purposes of the devs in the list iis suposed to be taking out armour, and even against 10s,they need 5s to glance and 6s to pen... not that i use devs...

ahh, but BO, the concept is you have half and half, and then the opponent has the difficult decision of whether to shoot the devs, thus preventing my ranged attacks, or shoot the SG. if they shoot the devs, then my SG charge into combat almost unhindered, and spank everything. if they shoot the SG, by the time theyre dead, it'll be very difficult to take Objectives from my side of the board, beacause of time, and epecially incoming fire from the devs. ill have to be careful of deepstrikers though, perhaps leave the enemy the first turn, so i can see what DS they have, and then mabye put one sg sqaud to deal with problems in my own half. sound good?

oh and i always like to take heavybolters, in case i encounter any space bugs! :lol: as for the storm bolters? what can i do when i have 10 points left over? well mabye melta bombs.........

I see Dante's ability for SG as troops not so much so that they're your ONLY troops and scoring units. But more that it's about letting you take more choices overall from the Elites section of the codex.

SG don't make good objective taking units. If your opponent kills your Sang Guard, they don't score. If he doesn't, you've probably wiped him from the board.

If Elites choices + SG are equal or less than 3, then you're probably better off taking another HQ option.

• 2 weeks later...
:) hi guys! i managed to get some funds together for 2 boxes of SG, so i am up to my ears in glaives at the moment! This may sound crazy, but i put them together... without wings! dunno why, but i prefer them without. anyway, pictures tonight, then ill start painting them. probably with a brown base, then shining gold, with a baal red wash. Im not good enough to do NMM, but i always seem to get told that my metallic gold is quite good :P

I see Dante's ability for SG as troops not so much so that they're your ONLY troops and scoring units. But more that it's about letting you take more choices overall from the Elites section of the codex.

SG don't make good objective taking units. If your opponent kills your Sang Guard, they don't score. If he doesn't, you've probably wiped him from the board.

If Elites choices + SG are equal or less than 3, then you're probably better off taking another HQ option.

Bolding, mine.

I disagree, they're rather good at taking objectives... just not keeping them if they do it too early. DoA style, they arrive later and only shine a turn later which means only a turn or three to survive to score, which can be allowed for and managed.

I do agree that people that take Dante and SG tend to not get any other scoring model type.

Archived