Magnets and Dremel

yodaid764

Hello all,

I ordered a bunch of magnets 1/8" x 1/16" to slap on my Flesh Tearers so I can swap regular back packs and jump packs. So far, I have one done fairly successfully and one where I got the polarity backwards. :devil:

It took me around an hour to get one damn guy done using my hand drill and exacto knife and this is way too long in my opinion.

So I have been reading through the boards here and I'm starting to wonder if I sould use a dremel. Now we are talking about using it on plastic guys and some people have said it gets too hot. All I'm looking at doing is boring out a hole large enough for the magnet which, for the most part, is the nub on the back of the marine.

Is the dremel a good idea? If so, what size bit should I use?

All of my DW is magnetized. Yes, 21 terminators... impressive, huh? (ironic) So have the LRC and the Speeders and some other stuff but... to the point.

First magnets I bought were like 5mmx2mm... I though they were small xDDD

Then I got 3x1mm and THAT is the size. I've bought some 1.6 now and I want to try for wrists and so... but I'm wandering!

Use a normal manual drill (I think you call it a pin vice in English?) with a small bit.

You can find drills in any hobby store, usually with a couple small drills with it (good for drilling barrels!).

As for 2 or 3 mm drills, I suggest going to a mom&pop hardware store. I bought 1 of each for... dunno, .60 Euros?

Dremmel is a sexy tool but power vs resin/polistyrene don't work very good :lol: Unless you get the adapter that lets you use the small tool, and that in my area is 100 Euros: a lot of money!

In short: use a manual drill, its easy, clean, cheap and useful for every project!

Note: I suggest batch working. Drill ALL the holes and drop the magnets in one go... if you keep the magnets in a long "tube" its harder to get mixed up with polarities :P

Note 2: Its better to spend a bit more time the first time than having to redo EVERYTHYING. I talk out of experience... this weekeend I took out ALL the magnets (that 2 for each terminator and 1 for each arm... so 80+ magnets) because I didn't use the appropiate tool the first time (the holes weren't deep enough).

So far, I have one done fairly successfully and one where I got the polarity backwards. :D

Just the one? You've got more presence of mine than I do! :lol: I've had to develop a little ritual to make sure I'm putting the magnet in correctly, and even then the blasted little things will sometimes manage to defy me, flipping over at the very last second :cuss:

The advice here is already good, but on top of that I would worry about depth control. Even with a pin-vise I've got carried away, so I imagine that having a power tool would make slip-ups like that easier.

• 4 weeks later...

i use a power drill but keep the rpms low - made a few mistakes over time like drilling all the way through a terminators arm. it gets a bit hot but not to melting the plastic. i've found it a lot easier to drill the hole, put some greensuff in and set the magent into this - lets you reposition the magent a bit (or pull out and reset the right way round) before it sets.

lhg033

I use two sizes of bits in a manual hand vise style drill. One I use as a kind of guide so that the larger of them will not stray once it starts it's decent into plastic. I take two magnets polarized together and a sharpie pen with which I darken the two outer sides to let dry while I begin drilling. Once I am in a ways, I take the magnets on my modeling blade and insert one side into my hole to gauge the distance I need to go. Once that's done I separate the two magnets, drop one side into the body socket (for instance) marked side in, and the other doing the same in the arm.

I have magnetized eleven Space Wolf Terminators so far this way. And if I have learned anything, it's that always check the magnets polarization before gluing, and that Zap-a-Gap dries very quickly on one's skin!! :P

I also center my initial drill hole using a cross-hair method drawn onto the surface. It makes the whole process so much easier.

-R_P_R

• 2 weeks later...

Dremel is a brand, not a tool, although is generically associated with the rotary tool. There are others, such as the Dremel screw driver etc.

What you might wanna get is an electric drill. Now they aren't common. What is common however, is the aforemention screwdriver. There are drill bit attachments (such as chucks with drills etc.) that you can attach to any handy screwdriver and make it a drill. What you are looking for not high speed rotary action, but rather high torque (which is usually converted using gears).

Or you could get this.

• 1 month later...

Just got done magnatizing 10 vanguards/Honor Guards.

Used a Dremel 4000 at the lowest setting.

Just be gentle and once you get a feel for it it is super fast.

Did manage to nail my finger once. *scary*

• 4 weeks later...

Archived