What books to stay away from in the Horus Heresy series?

NExOBLIVISCARIS

You can get away without reading Nemesis, Battle for the Abyss, Mechanicum and the short story collection without upsetting the apple cart, so to speak, as they are interesting filler.

Well, sort of. Battle of the Abyss gives a lot of light as to what the Ultramarines and Word Bearers were doing throughout the Heresy. It also showed that the Word Bearers were not utter morons when it came to trying to wipe out an entire legion as they had looked to be in the collected visions books.

Nemesis has also hinted certain things about the loyalties of the some loyalist characters but besides that I can agree it's a 'side story' more than anything else.

the word bearers dont come of as bright or competent in the battle for the abyss either...all they were missing were a cat to stroke or mustache to twirl for full blown villiany...

WLK

Considering their previous plan seemed to rely upon having the Ultramarines lose co-ordination, flee, not fight back and not invent any methods of counter attacking the Word Bearers; it was a major improvement.

All of the are worth reading, the only one that strikes me as mis-able is Battle For the Abyss, it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't that great either. I found myself kinda just wanting it to be over at the end.

You can get away without reading Nemesis, Battle for the Abyss, Mechanicum and the short story collection without upsetting the apple cart, so to speak, as they are interesting filler.

Well, sort of. Battle of the Abyss gives a lot of light as to what the Ultramarines and Word Bearers were doing throughout the Heresy. It also showed that the Word Bearers were not utter morons when it came to trying to wipe out an entire legion as they had looked to be in the collected visions books.

Nemesis has also hinted certain things about the loyalties of the some loyalist characters but besides that I can agree it's a 'side story' more than anything else.

the word bearers dont come of as bright or competent in the battle for the abyss either...all they were missing were a cat to stroke or mustache to twirl for full blown villiany...

WLK

Considering their previous plan seemed to rely upon having the Ultramarines lose co-ordination, flee, not fight back and not invent any methods of counter attacking the Word Bearers; it was a major improvement.

improvement, maybe...

anywhere near competent? nope.

WLK

This is just complete personal taste but I found Fulgrim to drag on a bit. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't good either

However I did love Battle for the Abyss and both Dark Angels books

And this ^^ demonstrates admirably why this thread is pointless as those are the three books that I found least enjoyable. Personal taste is personal. ;)

This is just complete personal taste but I found Fulgrim to drag on a bit. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't good either

And this ^^ demonstrates admirably why this thread is pointless as those are the three books that I found least enjoyable. Personal taste is personal. :)

Ah but we do get a trend. More people disliked those books than liked them. The 1st Dark Angel book is probably the least favourite of all but the Dark Angels players themselves in most circles, but there are always those who like them. However, if you see that more people dislike them than like them you at least get an ida whether you will enjoy it.

And this ^^ demonstrates admirably why this thread is pointless as those are the three books that I found least enjoyable. Personal taste is personal. :D

Ah but we do get a trend. More people disliked those books than liked them. The 1st Dark Angel book is probably the least favourite of all but the Dark Angels players themselves in most circles, but there are always those who like them. However, if you see that more people dislike them than like them you at least get an ida whether you will enjoy it.

Not a Dark Angels player, but I really rather enjoyed the first Dark Angels book. It showed us a Pre-Imperial World, Caliban, and the difficulties inherent in the assimilation into the Imperium. It also gave us an insight into how far the Primarchs can be removed from humanity...and yet be so utterly human in their failings(such as being a jerk.) Plus. Luther. Most excellent.

Joining the guys who already posted their replies, I would say that it is completely a matter of personal taste whether to like or dislike certain novel...

But if asked what novel to read, I'd recommend the first trilogy about Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus, Fulgrim, Legion and A Thousand Sons (which I consider to be the best HH novel so far). I also liked Flight of the Eisenstein.

Regarding Dark Angels novels... hmmm.... I was struggling to finish DoA (I was successful, after all ;) ) Fallen Angels was better, but provided little background on Johnson's or Luther's motivation, but introduced an interesting insight into Caliban itself.

I couldn't finish Battle for the Abyss, I put it aside saying "maybe later"...

I have mixed feeling towards Mechanicum. While I liked the description of Titan Legios (and Titan battles) I was bugged by the main story line....

I expected to find Mars more urbanized than it is described in the novel. And whole story with Daliya sounds a bit strange... How did she manage to work her way to the Void Dragon with only one fight and almost no obstacles? Indiana Jones had more difficulties on his way to less-valued relics  :P

Currently I'm reading Nemesis (only started it) and while it is hardly 'astartes-related' I find it as a good reading.

I think that The First Heretic will be the 'must read'. I haven't got the novel yet, but judging people's reaction I assume it is one of the best HH books.

I'd recommend reading all of them and listening to the audio books. I personally disliked Battle for the Abyss and Descent of Angels, plus i thought Flight of the Eisenstein was not a strong book. But i do not regret reading any of them and i will keep getting every single HH story.

I've read all of them up till The First Heretic now and giving myself some time off of reading 40k stuff for a little while.

Personally speaking, The first 4 books i thought were brilliant. Absolutely brilliant and WILL definately read them again, without fail. Personally speaking, my least favorites so far was Fulgrim, tho it did get alot better near the end - couldnt put it down till it ended. As well as Legion, just got boring but i soldiered on through it.

Its definately worth reading them all. Even if you dont enjoy the book you'll get a better idea of the ideals behind each of the Legions...

Not a Dark Angels player, but I really rather enjoyed the first Dark Angels book. It showed us a Pre-Imperial World, Caliban, and the difficulties inherent in the assimilation into the Imperium. It also gave us an insight into how far the Primarchs can be removed from humanity...and yet be so utterly human in their failings(such as being a jerk.) Plus. Luther. Most excellent.

Granted it did those things, but it was boring as :cuss

I, personally, skipped both Dark Angels books. Mechanicum I liked the least. There's a tie between Legion and Flight of the Eisenstein for my favorite (although that will probably change when I read Prospero Burns). I recently bought The First Heretic (my mom called first dibs on reading it). Yes. My mother has read all of my 40k books (I have almost 80 and her favorite chapter/legion... Space Wolves). She prefers the Inquisition to anything else second only to Gaunt's Ghosts (I also bought Sabbat Worlds when I bought The First Heretic and I can't wait for The Victory arc to come out). All in all I guess it does boil down to personal preference. I would also suggest getting The Dark King, The Lightning Tower, and Raven's Flight audio books to fill in even more gaps. They are quite simply amazing.

After reading all up to and including the amazing The First Heretic (Word Bearers fan boi here :) A-D-B ) I would have to say the DA books are amongst my least favourite with a significant exception

If I loved the Dark Angels then I'm sure that such insight into Caliban and the almost 'Arthurian' culture would have been great, but I don't so .....I don't. However in my humble opinion Legion is the worst and most pointless book of the series.

a) if I wanted to read a book about Imperial Guard then I wouldn't have bought a book about the Alpha Legion

b ) not gonna post spoilers but those that have read it will know what I mean.........really, c'mon, like a primarch would change his stance vs the Imperium and his father so easily.......jeez

c) for a legion such as Alpha Legion, one so shrouded in mystery, you would hope that a book supposedly devoted to them and their fall from grace, that it would cover more depth about.......hmm the legion itself??!?!? I don't give a rats ass about how they want the galaxy to see them as a perfect and united whole.......give me reasons and vindication!!!!

Anyway rant over, and to make this a pointless and hypocritic post, ignore everything I've said and read them all forming your own opinions ;)

Edit ; spelling

Vixthra I have a feeling you completely missed the point of the book but that's okay. Personally I found the first DA book to be a snooze fest, Mechanicum didn't really interest me much either. However the rest of the books where interesting enough for me to finish them all. Even if some where rather poorly written.

@ Vixthra

Regarding Legion I would say that the whole point of the novel was not about Imperial Army, but that Alpha Legion was almost unnoticable and almost invisible in its actions. The thing that I liked most was that no matter what plans had non-legion characters (I don't remeber what was the name of that Cabal-recruited guy) the Legion was alway ahead of them. Even when the non-legion guys thought they outmanuevered Alpha Legion and thought they ruined their plans, it turned out that Alpha Legion was aware and was already prepared for such way of things..

And it was never told what was Alpharius' real motivation on taking Horus' side, and it was not revealed if Alpharius truly stood with Horus after all... His motivation was as vague as the Legion's actions were to the rest of the novel's characters. I think that in future GW may attemtp to reveal Alpharius' motivation further, but it may as well be always covered in shadows and lies :P

I can see how it would come across that I've missed the point a little in Legion but to reiterate, I had hoped for a book about the Alpha Legion. The story in the book would have been fine as a stand alone outside the HH series novel, but I had hoped for more detail regarding the Legion specifically and its fall.

Fulgrim, 1k sons, The first heretic (the three that immediatly spring to mind, not the only ones) all cover in great detail the Primarchs and their respective legions, make-up, structure, motivations etc.

Now I know you'll say "ah but the Alpha Legion are shrouded in mystery and if you knew as much about them as the other legions they would lose their niche", but the HH series has been very long awaited by me and I suppose my personal desire from the series was a 'villains exposition' from ALL of the players in the drama <_<

Now I know you'll say "ah but the Alpha Legion are shrouded in mystery and if you knew as much about them as the other legions they would lose their niche", but the HH series has been very long awaited by me and I suppose my personal desire from the series was a 'villains exposition' from ALL of the players in the drama :lol:

Yeah, I see your point. But the truth is that GW wouldn't provide all the details on the secretive and elusive Alpha Legion. Otherwise they wouldn't be so secretive <_< As well as GW would not reveal the truth behind the disappearance of the two lost legions, they will give us only hints.

I can see how it would come across that I've missed the point a little in Legion but to reiterate, I had hoped for a book about the Alpha Legion. The story in the book would have been fine as a stand alone outside the HH series novel, but I had hoped for more detail regarding the Legion specifically and its fall.

Fulgrim, 1k sons, The first heretic (the three that immediatly spring to mind, not the only ones) all cover in great detail the Primarchs and their respective legions, make-up, structure, motivations etc.

Now I know you'll say "ah but the Alpha Legion are shrouded in mystery and if you knew as much about them as the other legions they would lose their niche", but the HH series has been very long awaited by me and I suppose my personal desire from the series was a 'villains exposition' from ALL of the players in the drama :blink:

Well said.

I find this interesting since I do not like Legion but for different reasons. I did not even mind that we did not see much of the Alpha Legion, simply because I did not believe what I did see. My suspension of disbelief was NOT held up.

The Primarch reveal was not only pointless but stupid as well. It added nothing. No expanded insights into Primarch or Astartes character, no expose of little known bits of fluff , nothing. The fact that ALIENS figured it out but no one else did is mindboggling.

The whole "one step ahead thing" felt contrived in alot of areas.

And the "ending" made me grind my teeth.

Aliens, of whom the known-for-their-duplicity Eldar are involved, psychically ram a vision into their minds and they believe it. Just like that. Right, ignore the hardwired mistrust of Xenos and Psyker powers that should have been going on there.

In addition, the assertion that they are doing all this for the Emperor or Imperium is contradicted by every other bit of fluff out there. Centuries long wars against the Imperium does not equal "secretly BFF!"

Ultimately, there was NO POINT to alot of it. It seemed like the author just wanted to give Alpha Legions fans a reason to "WOOOOO MYSTERIOUS!" a little bit more.

Being "secretive" for the sake of "secretive" is simply annoying in a book. Especially with the denouement of the hand behind the curtain revealing itself.

Let's be honest, we all think that Mechanicum, The First Heretic and Horus Rising/False Gods are all terrible ;)

BAD Troll!!!! Back beneath your bridge!!! :D

Haha I know, I just couldn't help myself!

But on a serious note I'd stay away from Battle For The Abyss, as I feel it doesn't really add to the series.

Let's be honest, we all think that Mechanicum, The First Heretic and Horus Rising/False Gods are all terrible :)

BAD Troll!!!! Back beneath your bridge!!! :)

Haha I know, I just couldn't help myself!

But on a serious note I'd stay away from Battle For The Abyss, as I feel it doesn't really add to the series.

I'd recommend Battle For the Abyss just for the novelty of a World Eater stealing the Best Supporting Actor role from a Space Wolf.

Most of the 'first' books are designed to introduce you to the legion. By 'first' I mean the first time that legion appears - Legion shows you how the Alpha Legion interact with humans to infiltrate, Descent tells you about Calibans past and the culture that defines the Dark Angels, Fulgrim (which is really like two books in one) tells you about the vanity and perfection of the EC, Heretic tells you about the WB desire for faith, 1kSons tells you about their desire for knowledge etc etc. They are all novels designed to set the Legion up for future books, set the foundations for the rest of their involvement in the heresy.

Before deciding how much I like the book I read it twice, six months apart. On first reading, First Heretic fires its way into the top five, whilst Mechanicum has fallen out of favour. The story of Dalia and the Dragon is brilliant, but I'm a dialogue guy rather than an action guy, so big Titans killing each other does less for me than the underlying mystery. The Dalia aspects of Mechanicum is the best of the series so far, IMO, but the book itself is lessened by the titans. But that's just me.

Having read Descent, Fallen, Abyss and Nemesis twice I know that I won't read any of them again. I don't like them enough. But the first six have become dog eared, and I fancy A Thousand Sons and First Heretic to end up the same way.

Archived