Chipped Armour

Br0ther Rafen

Hi guys

I was planning to paint my Hammernators with chipped armour, to look like they were just scrstching the paint.

However, when i try to paint the scratches they always seem either big or their not realistic.

Does anyone have a good method of painting sratched armour?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Get an old brush and cut it so the bristles are flat like this shape -

Then stipple on boltgun metal. Stipple is like drybrushing remove all excess paint, then use mithril for highlight! Stipple can also be used for doing dirt around tank treads, wheels and feet ect!

It really depends on how deep exactly you want the scratches to appear, but what your always going to need is a highlight that adds depth to the scratches. to make that look realistic position the highlights so they are all say at the bottom of all the scratches, the thicker the highlight the deeper the scratch will appear. white or bleached bone are good colours to use

As Ceramite appears to be a ceramic material and Space Marine artificers would probably spend all their time repainting armour if it was painted with a think layer on mteal, I paint chips using the base colour of the armour, shade with a deeper shade and highlight as suggested - either with a mid-tone highlight for old and worked in scratches or a higher level highlight for newer pits and scrapes.

You are dealing with REALLY thin and small lines.

Remember the old days when the metal blisters use to come with sponges to cushion the mini? ...and they didn't cost an arm and a leg, but that is a different rant...

I have some of those old sponges. What I do is tear off an irregular shape off the edge of the sponge (I don't know why this wouldn't work with other small holed sponges), dip them in a little paint and dab almost all of it off, then hit the mini on edges and well used areas with white as primer. Then do the same with the metal color, or paint onto the white keeping a white outline of varying thickness.

But that's just what I do.

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww322/roguetradervoril/100_3666-1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Sponge works. Depending on your skill though... You may find it hard to highlight the damage properly. I tried it, then went back to my brush. You simply have more control, and the result is good enough (For me atleast), I do have a cartonish style of painting though...

A sample from my (not finished), salamander force.

(Still WIP)

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss147/donpino/PB118872.jpg

This were done by painting the damage with a darker green, and then paint a thin line of the most extreme highlight colour used, beneath (only beneath, mostly..)

-Hope to help, Pino.

Hi again

when i tried to paint my mini with the above method, it still didn't look realistic. ;)

I don't supose anyone could post some pics of how it's done?

Thanks for any further help.

when the model its done with chipps and stuff i would recomend a wash of red because that will make everything blend tohgeter and look more realistic.

Well with black you can paint smal blobs of white or grey and then fill them with boltgun metal (with the White r grey) still showing on the outside to represent chips.

With read armour pick a dark yellow and do the same thing withthe boltgun metal or just try black blobs filled in with boltgun metal...

Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...
Sponge works. Depending on your skill though... You may find it hard to highlight the damage properly. I tried it, then went back to my brush. You simply have more control, and the result is good enough (For me atleast), I do have a cartonish style of painting though...

A sample from my (not finished), salamander force.

(Still WIP)

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss147/donpino/PB118872.jpg

This were done by painting the damage with a darker green, and then paint a thin line of the most extreme highlight colour used, beneath (only beneath, mostly..)

-Hope to help, Pino.

If you don't mind please tell me how you get such a good result with the glowing eyes effect.

Archived