Would dipping work with Deathwing ?

Brother_Darius

recently been inspired to pick up the DA again. I was considering as a start to do a squad of Deathwing. They have always been a bit daunting to me, as I find white difficult to get "just right". I've heard that dipping can be nice and effective way of highlight/shading models. I wonder how well it would work with such a light color like Bone. Any anyone done any dipping of deathwing models? I was considering using something like Quickshade from Army Painter..

http://www.thewarstore.com/product39118.html

Looking at those results from dipping them, I get the same result with a skull white primer, Deneb stone base coat gryphonne Sepia wash combo, then take some bone/skull white mix and paint over it, leaving the corners and crevices a nice dark brown color that matches the white in a similar way the dip looks. Of course, I've only done this with three of my terminators, all the others look like crap. Amazing how a year of painting can really make a difference. ;)

QuickShade is better as you can more readily predict the outcome once you've mastered the technique. In effect QuickShade is the new dipping :P. Plus the material is desinged to work on intricate models - while wood stain is designed to soak into wood :huh:.

Brother_Darius - you can QuickShade the whole (painted) model if you want with minimal retouching required. With dipping its usually just the basecoat/main armour colour, then you paint everything else as per normal. With nids its slightly different.

Cheers

I

• 2 weeks later...

It works quite well I think, have used the Quick Shade a lot and when you learn how it works its just great. Here's some pictures from Army Painters website showing a Deathwing Terminator. http://www.thearmypainter.com/gallery_pres...ng%20Terminator

*Edit* Sorry just saw that you had found the tutorial for exactly that mini already ^_^

Archived