help starting deamons

grave guardian

ok so i just recently bought into this whole deamons of chaos idea and was looking for some help. I have no idea what makes for good HQ choices and overall what makes a good deamon list. so far i have bought 15 pink horrors and 1 changeling (for a total of 2 units of 8 horrors) what do people use for a herald of tzeentch chariot? is he worth taking or are greater deamons a better option? im pretty new to 5th ed being on a break from 40k for a long time. any help at all would be great

thanks GG

yeah iv had a look but the hints etc in that very awesome thread kinda make me want everything lol. im looking for an all round 1.5k list and im confused on HQ options lol. heralds look and sound awesome but lack of models puts me off. i have been looking at the lord of change though.. is he any good? or would i be better off with a bloodthirster? in the thread it says that they are good fro different reasons. mainly im looking for varied opinions i guess

ok so i have been thinking up a list, is this anygood? any help/feedback appreciated

Bloodthirster

blessing of the blood god

unholy might 275pts

3 x flamers of tzeentch

bolt

135pts

3 x flamers of tzeebtch

105pts

4 x bloodcrushers of khorne

fury of khorne

170pts

10 x bloodletters of khorne

160pts

8 x plaguebearers

icon of chaos

145pts

8 x plaguebearers

120pts

10 x pink horrors

changeling 183pts

deamon prince of chaos

demonic flight

mark of nurgle

cloud of flies

noxious touch

iron hinde

unholy might

205pts total 1498pts

any help or just an ass kicking greatly appreciated

really man thats not a bad list to start with. good choice on the demon prince load out. iron hide sometimes is not needed but it definately makes a difference.

also i would invest in some slaanesh stuff. they are weaker on the str/tough but they have fleet and high initiative and the seekers and demonettes have gaze which can help a lot and way worth the 5 points. fiends are super fast and cheap and have 6 atks rending on charge. 180 points for 6. thats some rending propablity

ill be honest im a big fan of slaanesh but really ive noticed a mixed balance is what really does the best in the games ive played. i know models arent cheap but i just keep adding more models to my collection to try new lists out. i still cant seem to make a list i havent wanted to tweek a little bit

as for making a herald of tzeentch on chariot the easy wasy...

1 whfb tzeentch sorc on disc

2 screamers

some modelling chain.

get a big base use some flyer mount sticks to post up your disc with the two screamers ahead of it and attach some chains between them. mount whatever herald type guy you want on the disc.

I won't run Fiends unless your doing full squads. they are not an attrition unit. You either hit hard with a ton of attacks and melt the unit before they attack back, or you watch your unit die to horrid 1-4s on your die.

As for T-chariots a quick and dirty conversion is to take a fly blase (the clear ones) turn it upside down (flat surface on top boweled shape below) and attach one of your P-Horror models to it. Put some jewelry chain from your horror to 1-2 Screamers on a chariot base (or take 2 fantasy calvary bases + 1 Demon fantasy square base you have laying around and glue them all to a piece of plasticard or board or something. Will give you the same size) Quick and dirty

Fiends have a very low inv save that leans itself to dieing easily to mass fire (one of our greater weaknesses). We as Daemon players have two ways to counter this.

1. Better saves (ala Crushers, Plaguebearers, DPs, Fiends, anything Tzeentch)

2. Mass of numbers (Most everything else)

Since we can't improve the save we are left with the latter. So I am not saying "don't" play fiends at all. What I am saying is play them in large numbers or choose something else. Go big or go home. Crushers can be taken in small numbers thier 3+ saves and inv give them survivablity. Fiends not so much With your above list I would say stay with your flamer/crushers or drop the 2 flamers and go 6 Fiends/Crushers. Just a matter of play style choice. I personnally like crushers as I find them as a great fire magnet unit, but you could even go Flamer/Fiends if you so wish. Many options just up to play style.

Bloodthirsters aren't just great close combat monsters. They're 18' Str 8 (do to Unholy Might) tank popers. Bolt is 25 and relies on BS to hit. So it becomes a matter of playstyle. Multiple Str 8 CC hits at 18'. Or 1 to 2 Str 8 shots (Bolt) at 24. Again. Play style choice.

EDIT: Actually the BT comes in at 6 STR 9 attacks (least we forget we should always be Furious Charging vehicles)

In your current list you are running a BT, 1 winged DP and a hand full of troops. You don't have much in the way of "fast" units that will get you into grips with Blood Angel fast vehicles, Eldar, Dark Eldar, most skimmers, basically any army that is going to be moving 12' Constantly.

With this in mind I would recommend getting some fiends. You already have a bloodletter unit (though you may want to try to bump them up in numbers. Maybe drop a PB or Horror or both from each squad and add more letters for survival) so you have your "elite killer" power weapon wielders. Now you need to fill in some speed.

Also find the 10pts to get you a Bolt in that Horror squad. You a bit lacking in tank popping and tanks are one of our biggest banes.

So your list has the following categories covered as such

Speed:

BT

Winged DP

Fiends

Elite Hitting power:

Bloodletters

Flamers x 2

Attrition (Objective Holders):

PlagueBearers x 2

Horrors

Tank Popping:

Bloodthirster

Winged DP

Bolt form Horrors

Fiends (Rending, though don't rely on this as your only tank popping. it will fail you more often then not)

Seems like you have most of the elements covered by atleast 3 units. Now get to the boards and start play testing.

Archived