1st battle with my BA..tabled opponent! woo

AndyinUT

First of all my opponent is rather experienced, intelligent, and a deadly mech player with Marines and Orks. I've been playing Tau for the last two years and frankly have been getting my :P handed to me by him 9 out of 10 games. Fortunatly these matches with him have made me very proficient with my Tau and at with the 'hardboyz being my first tourny I didn't do half bad. I've been collecting Models to start a Blood Angels force during this time as well and started well before the new codex came out. Last week I hustled and assembled about 2k for a battle (unpainted still though) and try my hand with my new 'dex and marines.

I'm going to spare you a lengthy battle report and cut to the heart of the initial learning curve.

1. My Death Co. dread shall now and forever be known as Sue. Why Sue? What else would drive an adamantium entombed space marine to the black rage faster than that?! Also It's fun to introduce your dread that way. "My name is Sue, How do you do, now your gonna die!" Blood Talons are my new favorite fun killy.

2. A captain I think is underrated. Mine more than made up for his points when made as an addition to a RAS

3. Sanguary Priest are a win! Originally I was going to TDA mine and send him with my 1st company boys but reflected that I'd really only be able to use 1/2 his benefits. Instead I gave him a jump pack and power weapon to "Unleash the Fury Mitch!" I happened to keep both my assault squads close this time so both benefited from the chalice.

4. Infernus Pistol WIN don't get crazy with 'em but one per RAS Hell yeah!

5. Flame Pistol WIN same as above.

6. DC are a great and intimidating chaos factor to the battlefield. Deep Strike and enjoy.

7. BBQ Baal is pretty nifty. Scout moving and outflanking with a BBQ Baal is even better. Seeing your oppenents moral dissolve when his marines protecting his objective are huddling in rubble suddenly have a Flamestorm Cannon nearby: Priceless!

8. If my Assault Squads are the hammer of my army then let it be said my Tac Squad is the ANVIL! This just seems so so Tactical! With Capture and control they occupy my objective and can put out some decent dice firing. My melta trooper moved up the board at one point to get on the flank of one of his advancing dreads and take it out! The Rhino was ignored due to more pressing threats and managed to zoom forward to secure a late objective contestion if neccisary (it wasn't) If I need to advance them, the Rhino can get the job done or provide a mobile AT patform for the melta trooper.

In short by beloved Tau are dangerously close to the chopping block in favor of the highly mobile and deadly sort of game I'v been looking for.

Yeah, the blood angels play style is awesome. I was playing sallies for awhile amd won maybe about 25% of my games. I am on a 100% win streak with my BA right now. I like the faster more aggressive play style that the codex basically forces you to use.

So congrats on your first win.

I must appologise for any spelling errors I am on a cell phone doing this and the screen is fairlysmall, as is the qwerty pad.

Gotta love your good experience with a list many of the 'webbies' on this board consider sub-optimal. Just to list the things you have that not many on these boards seem to play:

- DC with Jump Packs

- Tactical Squad

- Captain

- BBQ Baal (a bit, some love them, some dislike their suicidal tendencies)

And yet you considered all to be good additions to your army. I have always been an advocate of a balanced mech and jump pack army, ignoring cheap transports for more jumpy goodness, and it seems you use it this way and enjoy the playstyle as well.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Blood Angels, or as I tend to call it: Prepare to Table or be Tabled ;-)

Gotta love your good experience with a list many of the 'webbies' on this board consider sub-optimal. Just to list the things you have that not many on these boards seem to play:

- DC with Jump Packs

- Tactical Squad

- Captain

- BBQ Baal (a bit, some love them, some dislike their suicidal tendencies)

And yet you considered all to be good additions to your army. I have always been an advocate of a balanced mech and jump pack army, ignoring cheap transports for more jumpy goodness, and it seems you use it this way and enjoy the playstyle as well.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Blood Angels, or as I tend to call it: Prepare to Table or be Tabled ;-)

His list may be sub-optimal... but I don't think the webbies have said you can never win with a sub-optimal list... they just try and give advice to help people make stronger lists... sometimes this advice is asked for and other times it isn't wanted... and 1 game isn't much... My almost naked Autarch kicked ass in his first game... and in all my other games where I've used him (to the point I don't use him anymore) he has sucked... or done nothing... it wasn't always his fault... but still...

Oh and I think you will find lots of people use Captains and Tactical squads on these boards... they might not all be Blood Angels however... but tacticals are still tacticals and they and they are still good... BAs may or may not have better options... and I guess it depends what kind of list you are running.

Anyway congrats on the win!

Good job on the win, brother!

And deepstriking DC are quite nice, actually. When they appear in the middle of the enemy lines, they will not have the problem of armoured targets like Dreadnoughts or Landraiders that may distract them from infantry units, so they can get their points back easily.

Snorri

big statments after one game I must say. OR was it the standard test run 3 games vs orks 3 vs sm vulkan 3vs some other sm build[pedro or razorbuild] and then gold fishing against your own tau ?

Jeske, that's not needed. Let him be happy with his first game. He can decide after another 10 games or so if he still feels the same way about his statements made above.

Jeske, that's not needed. Let him be happy with his first game. He can decide after another 10 games or so if he still feels the same way about his statements made above.

But at the same time, wouldn't it be bad if he were to be discouraged if he starts to lose games because he's taking sub-par choices based on one game's experience?

But anyways Andy, what all were you playing against? Also, feel free to throw a list up in the Army List section so we can take a look at what all you were using. Glad you like them, I've found that the BA book is probably the most fun Marine book out there right now, simply for the amount of options and gameplay differences from Wolves and Vanilla Marines.

Archived