When is a figure Table-Top Quality

It is very subjective.

However, I would say that tabletop quality has to do that it looks everything from "okey" to "real nice" when looking at the models from a distance (distance from your eyes while standing up to the models on the table).

Now, if a model doesn't look anything worth mentioning while looking at from a foot or so then it is painted to a "tabletop quality".

To go beyond "tabletop quality" you need to paint it more dynamically and more to perfection so as to make a difference when looking it from a foot or so.

It will still, however, look about the same when on the table.

My 2 cents.

/gustmic

If you can spot the features of the model and most of the details stand out and "make sense" from tabletop distance - that's table top standard in my view. For Space Marines, this would be a base coat in a coherent colour, metal parts metal, some shading to show the recessed areas apart from the raised areas, able to tell the shoulder pad rims from the rest of the pad etc. Under these definitions I would probably get a tabletop standard marine done in about 30-45 minutes in a batch... but I firmly do NOT paint TTS...

If you can spot the features of the model and most of the details stand out and "make sense" from tabletop distance - that's table top standard in my view. For Space Marines, this would be a base coat in a coherent colour, metal parts metal, some shading to show the recessed areas apart from the raised areas, able to tell the shoulder pad rims from the rest of the pad etc. Under these definitions I would probably get a tabletop standard marine done in about 30-45 minutes in a batch... but I firmly do NOT paint TTS...

Don't worry... you'll get there some day! :P

Again, I'd separate tournament vs personal taste:

Tournaments usually state their standard in their bases.

Just thought I'd toss my two cents in here, as 'table-top quality' is what I aim for.

Table-top quality, in my mind, means that the miniature looks good from the game table to the players, usually a length around a meter or so. Closer inspection is going to reveal some flaws - most of my figures, for examples, don't have eyes painted. Eyes are something that I've never been able to do well, even with practice: however, using a wash on a miniature's face and not looking too closely can give the illusion of a shadowed face. Thus, the lack of definable eyes. This is also why you'll never see un-helmeted sergeants in my Marine force, either!

Table-top quality is for the people who, like me (for better or for worse), are only concerned with the modeling enough to feel awkward with plastic-gray models on the base - which is unfortunate for me, since finding a good place to use spray paint on campus is difficult! Sure, I'll take a bit of time with the average marine, but my HQ units always get more attention to detail. The same could be said for the skirmish games I play - when I only have to paint 5 miniatures to play a full game, I can spend more time fully detailing the model.

All-in-all, I believe 'table-top' quality to be between the two extremes of I-only-care-about-the-game-and-not-the-hobby players and the everything-I-do-must-be-up-to-Golden-Demon-standard hobbyists. In the end, an army still looks great when it looks like a coherent force, and table-top quality can easily achieve that.

Edit: Grammar

TTS standard for me would itself be split into two different levels. simple tabletop standard would be at least 3 colours, washed, power amour edged with a highlight, and on close inspection obvious mistakes. Advanced tabletop would have more colours, multiple washes, attention paid to detailing such as purity seals, eyes, power swords etc. Though still just edge highlighting. The difference in these is usually just down to the skill of the painter of the army.

Once there is blending, highlighted details, NMM, directional lighting etc you've moved past TTS.

Archived