Can someone help me identify the color"s" used here?

This is almost exactly what I want my space wolves to look like.

The author of the blog said he guesses the company used Adeptus Battle Grey base, 50/50 Adeptus Battle Grey/Fortress Grey highlight, and then a Badab Black wash.

Going to pick up some more paint tomorrow to redo/paint my marines and since it's a little bit of a drive, wanted to make sure I don't miss anything.

I realize pictures are hard to gauge due to lighting, but as long as I'm in the ball park.

Any help or guesses are appreciated.

Hi,

The minis look like they were primed Chaos Black. They were then painted on with a layer of Codex Grey, maybe with a bit of Chaos Black into the mix . Then washed with Badab Black or Devlan Mud. I can see some of the pooling effect left by wash on the feet of some of the Space Wolves.

Thats my take :)

Highlight with codex grey then fortress grey. Both watered down 5 parts paint 1 part water so the transition between colours is not so sharp.

For shading, i basecoat watered down (same as above) Adeptus battle grey, wash with badab black then reapply watered down (same as above) Adeptus battle grey. The finish is nice and smooth and the second coat of Adeptus battle grey is easy to apply as you dont need to be that precise about getting close to recesses or details.

If I'm feeling extra fussy with highlights I have a codex grey and fortress grey.

My scheme uses the same basecoat and shading as the link you've shown, but I use lighter highlights sparingly, so the effect is probably very similar

Mine came out pretty dark.

Chaos Black spray, Adeptus battle gray, then a coat of 50/50 Adeptus/Fortress, Black Wash, then some light dry brushing of the 50/50 again.

Should I try dry brushing just fortress gray next time? I'm very new to painting, this is only my 11th guy, so I've had no success painting nice highlights like you. That's why I do the lazy dry brushing.

Then again it may just be my lighting. You can't even make out the contrast of boltgun metal and black in my picture.

Codex gray dry brushing

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/BulldoggingUSA/Test7.jpg?t=1288736989

Your pics dont show on the thread bud, but I think I can figure why your scheme is coming out dark. after applying the badab black, reapply the adeptus battlegrey but avoid recessess and getting close to detail. you dont have to be too neat or fussy as the overall impression will be of a smooth adeptus battlegrey with nice shading . then do the highlights.

The picture below shows two figures I'm (slowly...sigh) working on

gallery_24781_5388_37441.jpg

The left figure is with adeptus battle grey re-applied after the badab black wash. The one on the right is with just the wash over the adeptus battlegray which is what I believe you've done. Notice the difference?

Add abit more detail and you get this (another unfinished WIP) . The grey power arour is exactlt the same as I've descibed above.

gallery_24781_5388_31829.jpg

Whatdayamean only 11 figures? Thats good going bud. Honestly, I've had wolves over a year and have yet to finish 1 completely (job, family, no time Ect) . Keep practising, and keep asking questions here, there is always someone happy to help with some good advice. My other recommendation is to keep an eye on the space wolves subforum. There are quite a few excellent painters there

and you may get more input as more wolves painter/players will see your posts.

Post your pics again and I'll have a look if you'll like and give you a few pointers. setting up a gallery is very easy (I managed it) .Follow the guide

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=141716

Here we go. Keep in mind these are unfinished miniatures(especially the face), I just like to see the colors on them when figuring out the gray.

I guess the color is pretty similar after all, with you just having much nicer highlights.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/BulldoggingUSA/test10.jpg?t=1288814331

That grey looks good to me bud. Once you get the armour right, it can really set off the detail you put on later. Those guys are bloody good efforts considering your new to painting (I've been at it around 35 years with a few breaks in between) and, as you've said, you've not even got to detailng them yet. Your gold looks a little on the thick side, which is understandable because thinned gold is a b***er to get right. I use a mix of bestial brown and shining gold with a bit of water as base coat. Applying thinned gold after doesn't look so patchy.

My grey may also appear a little lighter because i have a daylight-bulb light above the figs.

That grey looks good to me bud. Once you get the armour right, it can really set off the detail you put on later. Those guys are bloody good efforts considering your new to painting (I've been at it around 35 years with a few breaks in between) and, as you've said, you've not even got to detailng them yet. Your gold looks a little on the thick side, which is understandable because thinned gold is a b***er to get right. I use a mix of bestial brown and shining gold with a bit of water as base coat. Applying thinned gold after doesn't look so patchy.

My grey may also appear a little lighter because i have a daylight-bulb light above the figs.

Funny you mention that, I'm going to be buying a Ott Lite true color lamp due to suggestions about how much it can help painting.

Thanks for the suggestion on the gold, I'll give it a shot. I noticed that the GW paints have a wide range in how thick they are compared to each other. I'm still practicing thinning.

That is currently Dwarf Bronze, I thought it might look better than Shining Gold on the dark, still playing with it. I find it is much harder to find the color and positions on the models than I ever anticipated. I'm enjoying it a lot though :blush:

Archived