Army Painter Products...

KAINE-77

Hi, was wondering if anybody had experience using the Army Painter products?

Specifically, I was wondering about their spray base-coats, as I never manage consistent quality with the Citadel Spray-Gun...

Not interested in the quick shade (Seems like cheating to me :mellow: ), but figure anything that cuts down on base-coating so I can get to the 'actual' painting might be a good thing!

Thanks in advance for any info/opinions...

Duma

Hi,

I have recently used their Greenskin primer on a Rhino for my Salamanders. I thought that the spray was a little too fine, but at least it didn't obscure any details or cause any runs. I just had to spray a few coats to get a good, solid basecoat. It dries quick too. As with most sprays, follow their instructions and you shouldn't have any problems.

Colourwise, the Greenskin is pretty much the same as Citadel's Snot Green, maybe a touch lighter, but not enough to stand out.

I'm happy with the results and would recommend giving them a go.

I've just used their Leather Brown to basecoat a load of Skaven and it's absolutely first rate. A near perfect match fo Calthlan Brown too.

I would suggest buying them off thetrolltrader on ebay, as it's cheaper than their own webstore!

I had this exact idea the other day, my local store owner showed me a skaven technique based on calthan brown which he sprayed using an airgun and I was wondering what the nearest match would be. If you've got some pics of the results it'd be great if you could pm me them.

I've just used their Leather Brown to basecoat a load of Skaven and it's absolutely first rate. A near perfect match fo Calthlan Brown too.

I would suggest buying them off thetrolltrader on ebay, as it's cheaper than their own webstore!

I had this exact idea the other day, my local store owner showed me a skaven technique based on calthan brown which he sprayed using an airgun and I was wondering what the nearest match would be. If you've got some pics of the results it'd be great if you could pm me them.

Matt black spray is good as well. I can also highly recommend their new basing tuft series.

Thanks for all the positive feedback about their products!

Basically, wanted to find a quicker, more consistent way of getting a good yellow base-coat for my Imperial fists (Which can be seen in a different thread), and also for my new Blood Angels project.

The way I work is to get the main colour done in one pass, then shade and work on the details... And just found that with the Games workshop spray-gun my results weren't always consistent. (Weather, propellant, mix)

Cheers guys.

The spray gun is probably the worst purchase I've ever made from GW. I bought Army Painter Dragon Red instead to base coat my BA. Sprayed over GW Chaos Black it gives a good deep red, and the black undercoat shades the nooks and crannies that the red doesn't hit.

Couple of points - shake the can ALOT; Read the instructions - I didn't and ended up with a very fuzzy terminator as I sprayed from too far away, they recommend 20cm maximum I think; keep the can moving - most people find their sprays quite thick, they cover great but you'll start to lose some detail if you focus too much on certain areas (again, learned from experience!)

other than that go for it, the colours are consistent, you don't have to spray over any other base coat etc and you don't have to swap te stupid can of propellant every 5minutes!

I second what everyone else has said. I just did a test mini for my current BA project using Pure Red and I'm really impressed with the coverage and colour. A really good timesaving investment, unlike my GW spray gun which is sitting gathering dust in my wardrobe!

James

Thumbs up from another Skaven painter here, using Leather Brown, plus I sprayed and dipped 60 Orks in an evening for a kid that couldn't face starting; got him on the table, and motivated him to start painting the rest.

Search for spraying tips, temperature important, humidity too; an open cardboard box spray chamber helps, and use several thin incomplete coats rather than one soaking.

Right, I'm convinced!!! B)

Had a laugh at some of the comments about the Citadel Spray-Gun... Great minds and all that...

On my last use, my exact word's were 'Arighh, stupid propellant!' And now the spray gun lives in the bottom of my wardrobe too!

Thanks for t' advice!

I have tried the following primers in their range: Matt Black, Matt White, Plate Mail Metal, Skeleton Bone and Greenskin. I loved these products so much, I'd marry them if it was legal down here. It seriously cut down the time needed to basecoat minis, and I have had consistent results every time. That said, I do want to echo the comments about reading up on the product before you use it. If you spray the primer on like you would with the GW product, you'll end up with a lot of obscured details. You can also find tutorials on using their primers on YouTube (there's a nice one by Jawaballs).

Yeah, the primers are a little... Heavier than GWs. i have a few Necrons that, after priming, look like they have been hit full on by a melta or similar.

Which honestly isn't that much of a big deal given the circumstances...

Archived