Most influential Primarch from the Heresy?

gogmagog

Well technically, Guilliman's largest contribution came post-heresy via the Codex Astartes. Lorgar played a huge role, yes, but so did Horus. I think ironically, it was Erebus that caused the most drastic changes from 30-40k by actually envisioning the heresy. (with KP)

This one is impossible to judge, I believe.

During Great Crusade --> Horus, perhaps Lorgar, indirectly in setting off the Heresy

During Horus Heresy --> Horus and Perturabo on the traitor side, Rogal Dorn on the Imperial side

During the Scouring and following --> Roboute Guilliman

Throwing my hat in for Horus. Even before the fall, he and his Legion were developing and perfecting tactics that are still practiced by Space Marine Chapters 10,000 years after the fact, and that's not even touching on the impact his presence had once he turned.

Yeah, gotta go with the big Horus. He was the most influental Primarch and that makes his fall all the more tragic.

Edit: Oh noes, this is my 666th post. Does it mean Chaos is whispering into my ear?

Alpharius... or was it?

Why because he gave two legions run around which I guess had an impact of three legions being late... for the party giving Horus just enough time to fail in style rather than getting curb stomped.

Also all the other cool stuff you don't know about... like it was Alpharius dressed as the Emperor who defeated Horus and the Emperor is still hung over in bed from the psychic beers he had with Magnus when he broke the palace wards.

clearly it was Corax :down:

Honestly though, it seems like a no brainer to me, Horus. Though if you were to break this down between loyal and rebel factions, id say Dorn was the most important Loyalist Primarch. Not just picking up Garro in the Einstein(sp), but prepping Terra and the like. Who knows where the heresy would have gone.

However on that note, who do you suppose was the essential primarch Horus needed to follow through with the heresy?

However on that note, who do you suppose was the essential primarch Horus needed to follow through with the heresy?

Turbs.

He did all the heavy lifting. Again. Truly a titan amongst giants.

Whilst loyal:

He cracked all the nuts that the other Legions of Astartes found too hard.

He cleaned up after the mess and garrisoned as a true servant of the Emperor.

Whilst traitorous:

Then when the Siege of Terra rolls around, he smashes a fortress that had years to prepare.

He then devastates the Imperial Fists Legion and plays on the now broken psyche of Dorn.

Perturabo is one of the best Primarchs. He and Magnus were true galaxy changers. Alas, for the treachery of Lorgar....

Also one of the few Primarchs that is specifically noted as having treatises obout his doctrines included in the Codex Astartes (the other two being mentioned being Russ and Jonson IIRC), though I assume more Primarchs have contributed. I think Khan and Corax would have made some interresting contributions, and probably Dorn as well. On the traitor side I would assume Fulgrim would have had a few things to share. IIRC Magnus was the initiator of the Librarium project, so the articles on Librarians would be based heavily on his work.

With the fluff available I'd have to go with Lorgar!

However, the available fluff (Angels of Darkness) also hints that Lion El Jonson did nothing becasue he was, "waiting to see who won" If this is true then maybe Jonson's inactivity was the key to it all. Had he picked a side it could have been all over sooner!

although i may be biased i have to go with russ. he raised a legion planet broke the power of the alpha legion and forced Horus into challenging the emperor when he realised he had roughly ten thousand beer chugging axe swinging bearded maniacs about to ripp his skull off and use it as a soccer ball.then when he was done tearing apart the traitor legions he had a tank named after him.

For the Loyalists = Sanguinius...

Dorn & Gulliaman are a given for obvious reasons, but the Blood Angel's contribution was also huge in shaping 40k.

His sacrifice in creating the crack in the Horus' armour, allowing the Emperor to kill him. 40k would've been totally different without that.

The Traitors has to be Lorgar... he set the heresy in motion. His legion left the trace of Chaos on Davin. Horus was wounded because of that & saved by Eribus & his chaos magic, thus turning him to heresy. Without Lorgar, there would've been no Heresy.

His sacrifice in creating the crack in the Horus' armour, allowing the Emperor to kill him. 40k would've been totally different without that.

Sorry as much a like Sanginius but i do not believe that the Emperor needed a small crack in Horus' armour to obliterate his soul. Most influential Primarch was Horus; he turned Angron, Mortarion, Perturabo and Fulgrom(arguably) and their respective Legions whilst orchestrating the events that would lead to them becoming Traitors and their legion nearly wiped out and the Space Wolves far from Terra. Also he devised the Drop Site Massacre and for the Ultramarines to be on the other side of the galaxy. Others would say Lorgar but it was Erebus and Kor Phaeron who turned him and did the bidding of Chaos and spread their faith.

**Spoilers**

The most influential Primarch was Magnus. His unknown destructive actions on Terra ensured that the Emperor could not participate during the siege of Terra.

Could you imagine what would have happened if the Emperor could have fought back, rather than holding the weight of the warp on his shoulders from swallowing the planet for entirety of the siege?

His ignorance caused more damage than any other primarch combined to the Emperor and mankind.

If you have that for a qualifying factor, then there's also that guardsman-turned-custodian-turned-whatever he is right now that provided a distraction.

The crack in the armour bit is reprinted in the latest Codex: Blood Angels. I'm fairly certain it isn't presented as a 100% fact, but as one possible theory. Also I'm too lazy to check my 'dex at the moment.

Obviously we Blood Angels know it to be true though. :yes:

The third edition Blood Angels codex stated that it was believed/hoped by the Blood Angels that Sanguinius caused a chink in the Arch Traitors armour that the Emperor used to his advantage; 5th Edition its stated that it was Sanguinius who caused the chink that did allow the Emperor to annihilate Horus, something which I feels cheapens the death of Sanguinius and makes it feel like he was no longer a true martyr.

After the heresy, it was most definitely Sanguinius for his sacrifice was the glue that bound the people of the Imperium to the eternal memory of the Emperor. And I'm pretty sure the people of the Imperium outnumber the space marines rather comfortably and therefore are the primary force in the galaxy.

I think the obvious answer would be Horus. It is the HORUS Heresy isn't it?

Certainly, during the heresy Horus was easily the most influential. Before, probably Lorgar for corrupting the Warmaster in the first place. Afterwards, although I would much prefer to say Dorn, it was probably Gulliman who was the most influential. Not so much because he was a good primarch, but because his legion was easily the largest. Something tells me that if the Ultras weren't the biggest loyalist legion during and after the Scouring, the reformation of the Imperium would've gone at least slightly differently...

Archived