Smooth gold on flat surfaces

Dear god I'm frustrated right now. I just tried to paint some gold on my predator and it looks horrendous. I started with a basecoat of Tausept Ochr, then layered with Dwarf Bronze, then shining Gold, then a wash of Flesh Wash and finaly a drybrush of burnished gold. I looks like utter crap. The metal colours just don't seem to stick properly to the basecoat.

Help!

Large flat areas of metal are different to paint than you might think - you effectively want to drybrush each layer with a scrubbing motion. Allow each layer to dry before moving on to the next. Use several intermediate mixes to get a smooth transition. Also avoid splosh washes - the tide is not what you want, just glaze the wash and blend it to undercut recesses.

Yeah - just slapping the wash on is a 'splosh wash' - you just splosh the stuff on. It usually doesn't end well on large, flat areas.

'Directed' washes again are wet applications (not so much as above), but you use your brush strokes to direct / keep the concentration of the stuff in one particular direction - the technique is more or less identical to applying a glaze.

'Spot' washes are literally just putting the wash on in one tiny spot (into a panel line for example) and then pulling it along. Alternatively if you gloss the area first and thin the wash (add a little more flow enhancer) capilliary action will pull it along the recess. You can then touch up any messy application spots once it's dry.

Archived