Problems with White

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, and even if you don't, perhaps you could be of assistance in helping me elucidate this mystery.

My white often, for no reason, turns pink.

The pot is not contaminated, all the paint is white. My brush is clean when I use it. How is this possible? There I am, painting a white surface, when I notice that it is tinged slightly pink, forcing me to pass several other coats of thick white to cover it up (this problem only arises when I use thin layers).

So is it my brush? My paint? My water? What do you recommend I do?

This can happen to me, but only after I've used red.

I find the red pigments are quite hard to wash off a brush. And you only need a tiny bit to taint the purity of the white.

Try running your brushes under a tap and agitate the bristles gently to get rid of any remaining pigment. If it's really stuck in there, use a little detergent or soap, but I wouldn't do that too much as soap can remove the oils from natural brush hairs.

This can happen to me, but only after I've used red.

I find the red pigments are quite hard to wash off a brush. And you only need a tiny bit to taint the purity of the white.

Try running your brushes under a tap and agitate the bristles gently to get rid of any remaining pigment. If it's really stuck in there, use a little detergent or soap, but I wouldn't do that too much as soap can remove the oils from natural brush hairs.

Alright I'll try that. It gets particularly annoying when you want to paint your Guardsmen in white, but they come out pink, but it also happens to my tactical arrows and such.

Thanks.

I agree with pingo, you probably have a very small amount of red pigment on that brush still. I actually have 2 brushes just for white which I will not use on other colors. It may sound silly but white is such an easy pigment to accidentally pollute :)

Depending on your reliance on white for your army colors, you could do the same as I. Just have a very fine brush and also a larger brush for your white.

as soon as you move on to painting white get some fresh water to clean your brush, after using a few colours my water usually goes a browny red colour, it may be your simply contaminating the brush everytime you think your cleaning it. Also make sure you shake the paint pot well before using, it might have something to do with the oils in the pot that stop it drying out.

Also of use is brush soap. not only does it prolong the life of your brushes by allowing you to store them with the tip intact, you can also see if the brush is clean or not by whether its rubbing colour off onto the soap.

Could be I'm wrong but what may also be happening is that red from your paint water is getting into the brush and affecting the white slightly.

Of course, this advice will be of no use to you if you don't paint with red. If that is the case, kindly disregard this.

I agree with pingo, you probably have a very small amount of red pigment on that brush still. I actually have 2 brushes just for white which I will not use on other colors. It may sound silly but white is such an easy pigment to accidentally pollute :down:

Depending on your reliance on white for your army colors, you could do the same as I. Just have a very fine brush and also a larger brush for your white.

To prevent cross contamination, I have some white-only and metallics-only brushes.

Archived