The Octaguide 2.0

Octavulg

It would be sad indeed. I wasn't too fond of Nation myself...

As for the list of things at the beginning of chapters, people in the real world did that all the time. At the beginning of a chapter, They would summarize it. Especially in 18th/19th Century works (for example, I'm currently reading the Memoirs of Napoleon Bonaparte by Bourienne, and it has it. Several books by Walter Scott do as well (and I think Tolstoy, but I can't remember).

I still think you should revise the black and red thing, Octavulg. I had a look through the first three pages of the Liber, and didn't see black and red schemes at all.

The Normish

It would be sad indeed. I wasn't too fond of Nation myself...

As for the list of things at the beginning of chapters, people in the real world did that all the time. At the beginning of a chapter, They would summarize it. Especially in 18th/19th Century works (for example, I'm currently reading the Memoirs of Napoleon Bonaparte by Bourienne, and it has it. Several books by Walter Scott do as well (and I think Tolstoy, but I can't remember).

It was particularly common in the Victorian-Edwardian era. Three Men in a Boat, for one example.

However, that's not what I'm telling people to do, in any case.

I still think you should revise the black and red thing, Octavulg. I had a look through the first three pages of the Liber, and didn't see black and red schemes at all.

Good.

Also, the Marines Exemplar use both, three of the five Lionwatch schemes use black or red, the Knights of Sidonia use red, the Angels of Shadow use a hefty amount of black...

I'll worry when no one's using it at all, thank you.

Chapter Master Ignis Domus

When used in moderation, black is an excellent color. My Iron Hands paint scheme is an example of this:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/sm/bpe=...spacemarine.jpg

"This can be avoided through the use of other colors, different patterns or particularly interesting badges (though other colors is by far the easiest method). A scheme quartered between black and another color is far more memorable than a plain black one, and so is a red color scheme with a unique and interesting chapter badge and a bit of wargear. Making your color scheme interesting helps make your chapter interesting

"This can be avoided through the use of other colors, different patterns or particularly interesting badges (though other colors is by far the easiest method). A scheme quartered between black and another color is far more memorable than a plain black one, and so is a red color scheme with a unique and interesting chapter badge and a bit of wargear. Making your color scheme interesting helps make your chapter interesting

The Falcon Knights aren't terribly

It used to be:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/smbeta9.php?b62c=@haLvy_hzOfe.hLL9J@@@@___hGxVO_.@@__@@@@_@_@_@__@_@@_@@_@_@@_.@@@@___@@_@@@@hk8Ytiakk7&grid=TRUE

... :mellow:

Oh fine, I cede the black and red thing. I'm still using it though, I've painted my guys and everything! I can't think of a new scheme anyway, not one that would suit the Doom Guard (which is a terrible name as well, I admit it).

What? They're still mostly black with slight touches of another color. That's not particularly exciting.

Admittedly not, but I've always been of the opinion that you've got to have a serious, non-exciting Chapter somewhere out there that isn't particularly awesome because of its color scheme or logo or quirks, or combat doctrines. Mine (when I'm done) will be exciting because of its politics and history. At least, I hope it will be.

I've grown so attached to my Doom Guard scheme, and I can't imagine the Chapter in any other color. I'd have to start all over, and I've already got all my stuff nearly worked out.

Fair enough, you're probably right.

Nevertheless, I think I'll stick with my colors. Certainly it is your job (should we call it that?) to inform me of the problems of a black and red scheme.

It may not be a good thing, but neither is it a bad thing, as I see it. It may not be original, but at least its not an eyesore, right?

Fair enough, you're probably right.

Nevertheless, I think I'll stick with my colors. Certainly it is your job (should we call it that?) to inform me of the problems of a black and red scheme.

It may not be a good thing, but neither is it a bad thing, as I see it. It may not be original, but at least its not an eyesore, right?

I always thought the 'avoid red/black schemes' was more of a warning to new chapters than something to pressure those with exisiting red/black schemes.

'Course, I might be barking up the wrong tree altogether.

Oh, and I re-read the guide again. Didn't see any mistakes, apart from maybe this:

Guilleman

I thought it was spelled 'Guilliman'. although now I look for it I can't find his name written down anywhere. :sweat:

EDIT: Ah, good ol' reliable Ultramarine forum. They've got it spelt 'Guilliman' in there in a few of their topics.

Edited by Ace Debonair

As I understand it Guilliman is the recognised and by far the most consistently used form. I would take any alternate spelling - such as the failure of proofreading which saw it being written as Guilleman (or similar) in the most recent Chaos Space Marines codex - as the simple mistake that it was. ;)

Oh, and a very nice guide this has developed into. Although I'm not sure it is the place of this guide to say what armour colours you can and can't (Should / shouldn't?) use. That's more PC&A and personal preference to me. :shrugs:

Throwing an idea into the mix for discussion regarding the order of the different sections, if I may: As long as the origins and other history sections come first, I would say that the Beliefs, Homeworld, Organisation, Combat Doctrine, Gene-seed etc etc sections could come in any order as long as it fits the flow. Although the Battle Cry section at the end seems traditional. I have found times where it fits better to have them in a particular order. Would you agree that as long as you cover he bases, the flow is more important than following an arbitrary order set down by GW?

It seems that this is your conclusion, so given the lengthy nature of the guide, could the three paragraphs which list the GW IA orders used be boiled down to a more concise sentence or two? :)

As I understand it Guilliman is the recognised and by far the most consistently used form. I would take any alternate spelling - such as the failure of proofreading which saw it being written as Guilleman (or similar) in the most recent Chaos Space Marines codex - as the simple mistake that it was. ;)

Doubt it since I have encountered both spellings since 2nd ed. Though it is usually e instead of i when his name is writen from a non UM point of view. Considering the odd sense of humor people at GW have with leaving little bitz and piaces all over the place I wonder if there is any real difference in meaning of the name.

Furthermore, while it might be a default assumption, the fact remains that we have two examples of almost-confirmed Salamander successors and several examples of DA ones, and none of Iron Hands or White Scars (or Raven Guard, for that matter).

Btw that is going to fall out of the window with Imperial Armour 10 and the Sons of Medusa's official promotion to a Iron Hands successor.

• 2 weeks later...