Rotted Zombie Flesh

Black Hand

Hello! As I've taken on the challenge of building a horde of zombie-like CSM, I've come to realise one rather important detail; I haven't the faintest clue how to paint rotted skin. What I'd like to achieve is a very corpse-like appearance whilst keeping it relatively subtle, sort of like an actual corpse as opposed to the light green Fantasy Zombie look. I'm no great shakes at painting using complex techniques, either, so keep this in mind of possible.

Any advice, colours or techniques would be heartily appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Black Hand

Using rotting flesh as a base instead of daflesh mid-tones as an example, washes of leviathan purple and asurmen blue to get that pallid tone, and similar things. GW had some really good articles about flayed skin recently, and rotting skin isn't that far off. Not all GW zombies are green - take a look at some Ghouls colour schemes i you like as well, or Vampires or Dark Eldar/Dark Elves.

Dark Eldar use SW grey in the mixture to add that pallid, slightly unhealthy look, and this could be accentuated with blues and purples to make the flesh look cold and dead

Archived