new to BA

MCM_91

erm...I hope to Russ that you mean 1000 points, since 100 points will get you, what, a single librarian?

Yep - You can't play at 100 pts seeing as you need 1 HQ/2 troops.

Basic 1000pt BA army would look:

1 HQ - probably a Librarian

2 - 3 Assault squads - either with jump packs or in Rhino/Razorback. Take power fists, special weapons etc on the squads.

1 - 2 Vehicles - Vindicators, Baal Predators, Dreadnaughts etc.

That's just an example. As long as you have at least 2 troops choices and 1 HQ, fill it out with whatever units appeal to you. Just remember that Death Company are not scoring and can't capture objectives, so if you take them, make sure you have a couple of other troop choices to capture objectives.

It really depends on your play style.

This is the most relavant answer. What type of list do you want to run? If you are going to play casually, run what ever you want, if you want to play w/ any degree of success you will need to consider a few things, most importantly balance and synergy among units. Then decide on what you want to run. I have learned from my BA experience so far that there are 3 solid options to choose from, this is of course based on my experience, so take it with a grain of salt,

1. Jumpers, BA's with jump packs and more jump packs

2. ass/back or flame/back spam, 8-12 assault cannons or flamers, oohh, sounds like fun!

3. Rhino rush, load everyone up in rhinos, support w/ dakka preds and pods.

Hybrid lists, armor and jumpers, tend not to be very effective, generally you are left with too few of each to be able to handle much of anything.

Ashton

well im really wanting to use jumpacks so i guess thats the way ill try to go, but my friend is wanting to start orks at the same time so would it be a good idea to first assault on blackreach box to give us a boost or would it be a waste of money because i wouldnt be getting what i need assault marines?

Well you get more out of an AOBR box than youd think. The Dreadnaught is a useful HS choice, and a single Tactical squad is something that many BA players find useful- holding objectives, giving them a bit of ranged firepower.... and certainly your orky friend will make out well on the deal.

The small rulebook and templates are also a godsend if you dont have copies already.

The terminators are probly the least useful thing for a BA player, and if theyre not to your liking Id pawn them to someone, perhaps a SW player, for 15-20 USD and invest that towards an assault squad.

Of course, if this doenst suit you at all your friend can likely get all the parts he needs of Ebay for a song.... so dont feel bad if you decide to say no.

I would probly go with:

Reclusiarch- JP- 155pts.

Tactical Squad- Missile Launcher, Plasma Gun, Powerfist- 205pts.

Assault Squad- Powerfist, 2xMeltagun- 235pts.

Vangaurd Veterans- Thunderhammer, Storm Shield, 2xLightning Claws- 180pts.

Landspeeder Typhoon- 90pts.

Dreadnaught- 2xAutocannon, EA- 135pts.

1000pts. Probly run the Reclusiarch with the assault marines, DS the Vangaurd in later D6 scatter with heroic intervention is fairly powerful, and the Typhoon and Dread, and Tacs, give you decent LR anti-everything. You can use the models herein to branch out into just about any playstyle you want, and with good modeling you can easily get this army for about 175 bucks with codex.

The AoBR box is pretty good. Even the terminators. Buy a 5man assault termie box and it has extra arms to replace the BR shooty ones to make a 10 man assault termie unit (5x lightning claw, 5 x thunder hammer and storm shield). The AoBR termie sgt is a good place to start for a terminator priest/libby too... although that leaves one with a 9 man termie unit+termie priest.

The AoBR tacticals are rather nice models and work well as bolter death company (black is easy to paint!) plus it's got a missile launcher guy in there and a another special weapon I think.

To get a varied infantry core but make the most of the AoBR box while still being very blood angely:

AoBR box - start here

assault marine box for jump packs and weapons -2nd

death company box for jump packs, weapons and BA flavor modeling items or 'BA bling'. 3rd

assault terminator box. 4th.

I'd probably buy a special 'named' HQ too or at least a chaplain of some sort. If you don't wanna spend time modeling priests, buying the apothecary model would be a good idea too for the power armour BA priest/corbolo.

My start was more or less this although I had most of the imperial forces from 2 AoBR boxes. After you've played with the above models a bit, you'll want to branch out into transports, armour and other odd things like bikes and speeders... but I'd try to reduce the urge initially and get your infantry base sorted first.

Lists?

Almost all of the more popular cores require the majority of the models above, using the jump packs and special weapons in the boxes I mentioned.

One more thing. Learn how to use rare earth magnets to make jump packs interchangeable with regular backpacks. It will give you a lot of flexibility in making lists while having a low model count in your bag.

Im an old player whos just getting back into BA, just come up with a 1000 point list.

Reclusiarch - JP

2 x AS - PF / MELTA

1 x Terminators

Drop Pod - Deathwind Launcher

Baal Pred - EA

comes to about 990 points, any criticism welcome as im still learning.

Im an old player whos just getting back into BA, just come up with a 1000 point list.

Reclusiarch - JP

2 x AS - PF / MELTA

1 x Terminators

Drop Pod - Deathwind Launcher

Baal Pred - EA

comes to about 990 points, any criticism welcome as im still learning.

Welcome back to the fray.

The Drop Pod is not legal in this list. BA Terminators can't take one, they can only have a Land Raider (or one of its variants).

You might look at dropping the Termies altogether, and adding a couple Sanguinary Priests w/jump packs. A couple attack bikes could be shoehorned in as well if you drop the EA from the Baal.

Dont waste your money on assault on black reach. Please

If you want jump pack blood angels it is an utter UTTER waste of money. Just go on ebay and buy 4 cheap boxes of Space Marine Assault Marines, a cheap box of Blood Angels Death Company, buy a cheap warhammer 40k mini rule book, and buy yourself a chaplain or a librarian. That will be enough for a 1000pt force. You will also need some Sanguinary Priests to help make your marines a bit harder. The cheapest way to do that is to look again on ebay for '40k apothecary bits' and you will usually find the plastic parts taken from a £18 command squad box for around 4-5 pounds. You will need 2 or 3 of those. You could of course pick up 1 Command Squad box from ebay because it has a lot of other really good bits in like a variety of cool close combat weapons.

But in general if you want to buy stuff, it is great to pick up boxes cheap from ebay or a discount retailer, and then work out which extra weapons you need to make your guys and then get them off ebay for cheap.

^^

You kinda of ignored the comment about him and a friend using AoBR to kick-start their gaming experience.

The decision to drop the AoBR tacticals to favor popular internet RAS based builds should be a later development in one's hobby.

Let him get the hobby started first, hmm?

To the OP:

There are three main schools of thought in BA DEX list building.

1. RAS & transport vehicles.

2. Jump pack assault marines.

3. Everything else.

If you already had models from an earlier experience with 40k, option 1 or 2 would be easier to accept.

Number 3 is where I think everyone should start the hobby as it allows one to find out which elements they actually enjoy playing with and a variety of model types is easier and cheaper to get once one starts getting involved in gaming circles. ie. seldom will you meet a guy that's going to dump 30 assault marines in your lap as a good deal, but you will potentially meet a lot of guys that have a few varied things to sell or trade.

"Oh, you don't want those two terminator models? Cool! I could make a priest with one and a terminator captain with the other!".

"Oh, wanna swap these AoBR tacticals for your unused assault marines? Neat, I was tired of them. Yeah, I know the AoBR tacticals do look very nice... but after getting more assault squad boxes, I find the 12" instead of 6" move to be cooler than shooting"

"You wanna swap my AoBR dread for more 3 more assault marines? Hmm... bit of a rip off, but I do need a few more models and bits for JP priest and librarian."

etc

He said he wanted to run an all jump pack force. He was asking if it is a good idea to buy a AOBR box with his friend because his friend likes Orks.

That is a bad idea for him.

If you read his OP, you would see he is getting BACK into the hobby after a year and a half and he later goes on to say he has a good idea of the style of BA force he wants to run.

So yes, I did read his posts clearly and gave my advice based on the information provided

Archived