DoW

LardO'Blood

Are you talking about Dawn of War 1 or 2?

Regardless, in either the chapters are merely colors. You play Marines.

It looks like the Platinum edition is the latest, though it doesn't include Soultstorm. Soulstorm sucks though. Hard. You're better off with just Winter Assault and Dark Crusade (which are included in the Platinum ed).

Are you talking about Dawn of War 1 or 2?

Regardless, in either the chapters are merely colors. You play Marines.

It looks like the Platinum edition is the latest, though it doesn't include Soultstorm. Soulstorm sucks though. Hard. You're better off with just Winter Assault and Dark Crusade (which are included in the Platinum ed).

+1, Don't bother with soulstorm. DOW2 is ok as far as small scale combat goes but IMO no where near as good as the first

@LardO'Blood: If your going to buy a Dawn of War game, you can't go wrong with the original Dawn Of War. It had a great story, and a great campaign. Dawn Of War - Winter Assault was great as well. Sadly Dark Crusade and Soulstorm weren't the greatest, and were only good for getting Necrons/Tau and Dark Eldar/Sisters Of Battle and the new code available for modding.

If you're talking about Dawn Of War II, the game and Chaos Rising are fairly good. The campaigns are pretty fun for the most part. This one is not as large scaled as the other Dawn Of War games, but are good nonetheless. Dawn of War II also brought in the Tyranids, so that's good if your one of the bug lovers.

The Original game can come with the expansions if you buy one of the bundles. Gold Edition(Dawn Of War, Winter Assault.)

Platinum(Dawn of War, Winter Assault, Dark Crusade.)

The Chapters playable in the Original Dawn Of War are as follows:(These are for multiplayer.)

Blood Angels

Blood Ravens

Dark Angels

Imperial Fists

Raven Guard

Space Wolves

Ultramarines

White Scars

If you don't like these though you can always make your own with the army painter.

Hope this helps.

Dang it! I don't think they are in the demo maps. Oh well.

Any favorite strategies? I just like loading up on a couple tactical squads, hellfire dreadnoughts maybe a predator and driving into the enemy camp. Once their unload and blow things up!

In the original DoW (though they took this out in expansions), there's no limit on Terminators or Land Raiders. So you can, once you get far enough into the game, field an army composed of nothing but that. You can have 4 Land Raiders, which is great fun! Probably not a viable strategy for multiplayer, as by the time you get enough resources to do this you've already won or lost the game, but fun as heck nonetheless. In the expansions they put a cap on those units, so no more of that.

I also think you should get Soulstorm. To me, it's just as good of an expansion as Winter Assault or Dark Crusade were. The Sisters of Battle are also a very fun army to play, lots of purifying flames. Personally, I own all the expansions and think each of them was a very worthy addition to the game. I also hate DoW II with a passion, which I won't elaborate on here (there are other threads you can read if you want to know why), so I personally would recommend you not waste your money. At the very least, get the demo first. Do not assume you will like it if you like DoW 1, because the two games have nothing in common apart from 40k and the name.

In the original DoW (though they took this out in expansions), there's no limit on Terminators or Land Raiders. So you can, once you get far enough into the game, field an army composed of nothing but that. You can have 4 Land Raiders, which is great fun! Probably not a viable strategy for multiplayer, as by the time you get enough resources to do this you've already won or lost the game, but fun as heck nonetheless. In the expansions they put a cap on those units, so no more of that.

I also think you should get Soulstorm. To me, it's just as good of an expansion as Winter Assault or Dark Crusade were. The Sisters of Battle are also a very fun army to play, lots of purifying flames. Personally, I own all the expansions and think each of them was a very worthy addition to the game. I also hate DoW II with a passion, which I won't elaborate on here (there are other threads you can read if you want to know why), so I personally would recommend you not waste your money. At the very least, get the demo first. Do not assume you will like it if you like DoW 1, because the two games have nothing in common apart from 40k and the name.

Well, that is certainly true (they do share some plot elements), and while I did prefer the voice acting and plot of the Original Dawn of War, I must say that I feel that DoW II captured the fast-paced action fest that Space Marines are all about. Dawn of War I was more of a classic RTS, and I love those, and although Soulstorm was a little weak, I love it and the previous expansions. DoW II is just a different take on the same thing, really.

Although, yes, if you're thinking about DoW II, it is nothing like DoW I, so play the demo first. I enjoyed it thoroughly, but it has a completely different fell that the first game.

I´d say get both. Dawn of War: Dark Crusade with Firestorm over Kronus (a closer to TT/codex modification) is one the best RTS I´ve played so far. And I started with the original Command&Conquer somewhere in the midde of the 90`s :P

DoW II also is a pretty good game, very nice graphics and atmosphere, but with a focus on small scale combat. Why you can´t import custom chapter banners and badges for the army painter is beyond me, though ^^

Archived